E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Troubleshooting BT

05-04-2006, 12:04 PM   #1
mreloc
Private
Rep
Drives: E93, past: E90, E46, E36, E30

Troubleshooting BT

I have an approved Razr v3c with Verizon. Phone pairs with car, but only connects periodically. Latest version of software is on phone... car build date was 9/05. Dealer wants my car and my phone to diagnose- but last time I was scheduled for service appt my phone was in a connecting mood. Very frustrating...anyone care to guess if it's a phone problem or a car problem? Don't know who to turn to next- verizon doesnt think it's them.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2006, 12:08 PM   #2
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
id have to say its probably the phone itself..The razor phones supossably have problems with connectivity..(my buddys first one had this problem and got a replacement and it works fine) I just got rid of the SLVR and am going back to the RAZR so hopefuly i get one that works right the first time!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2006, 12:46 PM   #3
London320d
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 320dSE

09/05 cars may not have Progman 20 loaded. According to this thread Progman (CIP) 20 fixes intermittent bluetooth issues.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=cip+bluetooth
.."
the following fixes for the E90 are include in the new CIP 20 being circulated to dealers......1) Fix for cars having problem with Bluetooth phone intermittantly not wanting to pair"..

I seem to recall quite a few other posts mentioning that BT became much more reliable with Progman 20.

It would be worth having a really good search of this forum for "CIP 20" and Blouetooth or BT in various combinations (as most posts refer to the version in this way).
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2006, 12:56 PM   #4
Arkansas3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by London320d
09/05 cars may not have Progman 20 loaded. According to this thread Progman (CIP) 20 fixes intermittent bluetooth issues.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=cip+bluetooth
.."
the following fixes for the E90 are include in the new CIP 20 being circulated to dealers......1) Fix for cars having problem with Bluetooth phone intermittantly not wanting to pair"..

I seem to recall quite a few other posts mentioning that BT became much more reliable with Progman 20.

It would be worth having a really good search of this forum for "CIP 20" and Blouetooth or BT in various combinations (as most posts refer to the version in this way).
He's right. It's the car's software, not your phone.
      05-04-2006, 02:28 PM   #5
DLJJ3399
Lack of charisma can be fatal...
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreloc
I have an approved Razr v3c with Verizon. Phone pairs with car, but only connects periodically. Latest version of software is on phone... car build date was 9/05. Dealer wants my car and my phone to diagnose- but last time I was scheduled for service appt my phone was in a connecting mood. Very frustrating...anyone care to guess if it's a phone problem or a car problem? Don't know who to turn to next- verizon doesnt think it's them.
I have the Motorola Pebl. Here's what I did to stop the periodic connections. Go to the phone menu settings.

Go to Car Settings. Go to Auto Handsfree and make sure that it is turned on.

This should solve your problem. I hope this works, it worked for me. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2006, 02:35 PM   #6
DLJJ3399
Rep

Garage List
It says to do this in the Motorola manual, and they have it turned off to conserve the battery life.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2006, 02:54 PM   #7
mreloc
Private
Rep

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm doubting it's the phone because my wife's razr does the same thing. Trick is to get the dealer to install the updated software I think to try to fix this. When I mentioned it to them on the phone, they acted like they didn't know what I was talking about. I take it from reading here though, since my car was a 9/05 build date- it definitely could use the prog 20 update.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2006, 02:56 PM   #8
mreloc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLJJ3399
I have the Motorola Pebl. Here's what I did to stop the periodic connections. Go to the phone menu settings.

Go to Car Settings. Go to Auto Handsfree and make sure that it is turned on.

This should solve your problem. I hope this works, it worked for me. Good luck.

I take it your referring the BT power being on- which mine is. As I mentioned- it connects fine sometimes, but 50% of the time no-go.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2006, 03:21 PM   #9
London320d
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
I take it your referring the BT power being on- which mine is. As I mentioned- it connects fine sometimes, but 50% of the time no-go.
No - not bluetooth power. On my V3 the setting referred to is (menu) Settings / Car settings / Auto handsfree. I'm of course assuming that the setting still exists on the V3c.

If that doesn't fix it, then get the dealer to do the update. According to other posts around here, the current progman version is now 21.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2006, 03:37 PM   #10
DLJJ3399
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Nooooo - not the BT power being on. Mine did this too before I changed my phone settings.

It's as London320d stated above. As I stated before, I have the same phone as you it's just shaped different. (Motorola PEBL)

You need to go to your setting, go to car settings, go to Auto Handsfree and make sure that is turn to the on position.

I'm pretty sure this will solve your problem. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2006, 07:41 AM   #11
mreloc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLJJ3399
Nooooo - not the BT power being on. Mine did this too before I changed my phone settings.

It's as London320d stated above. As I stated before, I have the same phone as you it's just shaped different. (Motorola PEBL)

You need to go to your setting, go to car settings, go to Auto Handsfree and make sure that is turn to the on position.

I'm pretty sure this will solve your problem. Good luck!

Unfortunately I don't have a "car settings" option under my settings menu. The only thing close is "call settings" and under that is "headset" that has options to auto answer after so many seconds or "off", so I'll try to select something other than off and see if that makes a diff.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2006, 01:37 PM   #12
London320d
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately I don't have a "car settings" option under my settings menu. The only thing close is "call settings" and under that is "headset" that has options to auto answer after so many seconds or "off", so I'll try to select something other than off and see if that makes a diff.
Auto Answer isn't what you need either. All that will do is answer a call for you. It will not aid the BT issue.

A side effect of auto answer is that it can cause some scary moments for the caller as well if the phone auto answers whilst you are singing along to your fav CD .

Look in the phone manual for the the equivalent of the "Car settings" menu. Also download a manual from http://www.hellomoto.com to see if Verizon have disabled the menu. http://motorola.howardforums.com may also provide some useful info.

Finally the V3c isn't on any compatibility list that I've seen - the basic V3 is (although I concentrate on the european lists!).

(Assuming that you are on CIP 19) It may be worth getting the car updated anyway as it can only help the BT situation.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2006, 03:38 PM   #13
DLJJ3399
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hmmmm. Hi, I just checked two of my co-workers RAZR phones and their's are both about a year old and they have the Car Settings on theirs. They both have Cingular though.

Their Car Setting was just under the headset setting. Good luck...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2006, 04:10 PM   #14
gdnyc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi Jet Black

For the Verizon phones:

Settings& Tools - Connections - Bluetooth - Handsfree

BMW, please get rid of the RFT's and give us a spare tire!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2006, 07:45 PM   #15
mreloc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdnyc
For the Verizon phones:

Settings& Tools - Connections - Bluetooth - Handsfree

Exactly! I think Verizon uses their own software for the v3c, for example I can't get my phone to vibrate and ring at the same time- even tho the moto manual says it's a feature. Dunno. I made an appt with service to see if they'll update the software to CIP 20/21.
Appreciate 0