BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-13-2009, 08:20 AM   #1
AlBel1214
Major
Rep
Drives: past 135i, now c6, future M3??

oil change with mods...

I know a lot of people are wondering (and obviously it is a case by case basis)... but today I got my first free oil change done.. I have a RR intake and just left it on and my SA had no problem at all..

I was worried a bit at first but I am glad I got this out of the way so now I know on the regular maintenance I need I can leave on any future mods I get (JB+??? :thumbup

Obviously if the engine blows I am sure it is a diff. story...

-----LS3 C6-----
z51 suspension, NPP dual mode exhaust(wild2mild),20% tint, zr1 replica wheels, gloss black fender stripes
R.I.P SGM 135i w/ some mods
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 09:32 AM   #2
Redbeemer
Ne Plus Ultra
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portimao Blue 2022 M240iXdrive

I am happy for you that you didn't have a problem at the dealer, but I think your last sentence is the key to the whole warranty/mods. situation. As long as there is no problem, most dealers really don't care what you have done to the car. But as soon as there is a serious problem, you can bet they are going to blame whatever mods you have on the car, even if the mod. didn't likely cause the problem. BMW is famous for trying to get out of warranty repairs if ANY modification has been made to the car. I had an aftermarked alarm system installed in my BMW years ago and then the door lock went bad and they said it was because someone had had the door panel off installing the alarm. They even went so far as to give me a letter warning that any future problems in that area would not be covered under warranty due to my "mods". Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 09:48 AM   #3
AlBel1214
Major
Rep
Drives: past 135i, now c6, future M3??

^^^ OH I hear ya 100%... I know there are other threads going over that and then the fact of if it is right/wrong to hide mods from the dealer...

definitely don't want to start another one of those wars...

I am just glad they didn't give me a hard time for a regular service!

But in addition to what your saying.. I don't have a tune yet I will probably wait another year+ once I hit the 40K miles and the warrenty is up... so then if the engine blows it's on me no matter what.. ha ha

-----LS3 C6-----
z51 suspension, NPP dual mode exhaust(wild2mild),20% tint, zr1 replica wheels, gloss black fender stripes
R.I.P SGM 135i w/ some mods
Appreciate 0