the sound of this car reminds me an awful M3 E46
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 12:30 PM   #134
SloPoke
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Anyone else notice that the rocker panels don't have the center bulging look when looking down the side? I guess this is because they had to modify the rockers to blend with the wider front fenders?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 02:24 PM   #135
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Somebody in this room sounds a little bitter

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 02:59 PM   #136
sid33
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 Coupe

Garage List
2012 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yearofthe1 View Post
Everytime I watch this video, I find myself doing this:

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 07:01 PM   #137
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C & E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
You guys do realize that test mules are not the finished product, right? Also, what's the fascination with the quad exhaust? Just because M cars since the Z3 M Roaster/Coupe have had quads does not mean all new M cars must have quads. There have been plenty of M cars without a quad exhaust in the past, and it really doesn't make much sense on an inline six anyway.
If it doesn't make sense on an i6, then why did they add it to the e46 m3?

And to clarify, I'm not insinuating that the lack of these parts (fender vents/quad exhausts) would not make this an M model, but I am saying that these parts are now integrated into the brand identity and are typical of new m models so it strikes me as strange not to include them. They tested the new m5 mule with quad exhausts and, before we knew about an M3 sedan in the e9x lineup - yup same thing - quad exhaust gave away the m intention.

I want this to be an M but, like I've said, not 100% convinced.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 02:00 AM   #138
Jon_One_e91
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: soon to be e91

they probably dont want to sell it out yet so thats why they didnt put the quads etc.. but watch the size of those brakes!! and why would they hide a 1 series in the first place??
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 02:12 AM   #139
Redline
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusion View Post
Are you really going to argue against the car rolling backwards at ~2:20 before going up the tiny hill when entering the parking lot? In fact, if anything, this suggests the car doesn't have hill-assist like my 2008 does. This car, not the "M1" in general, clearly is a stick and does not have a DCT or automatic. I think it's pretty clear given all of the other information we have that DCT will be an option. This specific mule does not. You don't need a pic of a stick to "prove it".

I think most of you don't think critically enough to understand me.

If someone were to make me bet $$$ on what transmission the test mule in the video would be, I would bet it is a Manual transmission. However, I'm stating that DCT tranmission can allow the car to do the same thing as what is shown in the video.

I only brought it up because all of you seem "SOSURE" of the transmission that you would even argue with ME about it, when I only stated it is possible that the test mule is a DCT.

Is it impossible? The right answer would be it could be possible.

Another thing I want to bring up is, how many test mules are there? Are all the videos of the exact same test mules?
Sport Package
Active Steering
Manual Transmission

:roundel:
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 02:35 AM   #140
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post
I think most of you don't think critically enough to understand me.

If someone were to make me bet $$$ on what transmission the test mule in the video would be, I would bet it is a Manual transmission. However, I'm stating that DCT tranmission can allow the car to do the same thing as what is shown in the video.

I only brought it up because all of you seem "SOSURE" of the transmission that you would even argue with ME about it, when I only stated it is possible that the test mule is a DCT.

Is it impossible? The right answer would be it could be possible.

Another thing I want to bring up is, how many test mules are there? Are all the videos of the exact same test mules?
Hey it's the interweeb, relax, sitback and enjoy the ride.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 09:26 AM   #141
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

Here, this should help keep us on track. If you want to debate the MT vs. DCT, hit it:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...35#post7182835
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 10:42 AM   #142
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by auggiem3 View Post
If it doesn't make sense on an i6, then why did they add it to the e46 m3?

And to clarify, I'm not insinuating that the lack of these parts (fender vents/quad exhausts) would not make this an M model, but I am saying that these parts are now integrated into the brand identity and are typical of new m models so it strikes me as strange not to include them. They tested the new m5 mule with quad exhausts and, before we knew about an M3 sedan in the e9x lineup - yup same thing - quad exhaust gave away the m intention.

I want this to be an M but, like I've said, not 100% convinced.
The quads were included on the E46 M3 and Z3/Z4 M Coupe/Roadster because, as you mention, they became part of the ///M identity. There's nothing wrong with that, and it does provide a nice symmetrical look. When applied to an inline six though, it just requires some additional piping that normally isn't necessary. The 335 and Z4 35 are also using a dual exhaust setup, which I imagine was to differentiate them from the lesser models.

What I meant by my post is that since this is an early test mule, it may not have the fender gills and production exhaust on it yet. Sure, the M5 test mule has a quad tip exhaust, but the new 5 series chassis was designed to use a dual exhaust setup (pipes exiting each side) from the beginning. The 1 series chassis may need some work done to the rear floor pan to incorporate a quad tip exhaust setup, which may explain why this mule doesn't have it yet. That, or maybe they do want to keep the weight down.

I hope that clarifies.
      04-23-2010, 06:59 PM   #143
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Quote:
The 1 series chassis may need some work done to the rear floor pan to incorporate a quad tip exhaust setup, which may explain why this mule doesn't have it yet.

I can tell you from having quads, this is indeed the case.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 09:04 AM   #144
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The quads were included on the E46 M3 and Z3/Z4 M Coupe/Roadster because, as you mention, they became part of the ///M identity. There's nothing wrong with that, and it does provide a nice symmetrical look. When applied to an inline six though, it just requires some additional piping that normally isn't necessary. The 335 and Z4 35 are also using a dual exhaust setup, which I imagine was to differentiate them from the lesser models.

What I meant by my post is that since this is an early test mule, it may not have the fender gills and production exhaust on it yet. Sure, the M5 test mule has a quad tip exhaust, but the new 5 series chassis was designed to use a dual exhaust setup (pipes exiting each side) from the beginning. The 1 series chassis may need some work done to the rear floor pan to incorporate a quad tip exhaust setup, which may explain why this mule doesn't have it yet. That, or maybe they do want to keep the weight down.

I hope that clarifies.
I understand the difficulty in plumbing a quad setup on a 1-series, but given the extensive body work modifications and suspension testing, wouldn't you assume those exhaust alterations would be a key component to properly building the mule?

In other words, I think your post has supported my concern over the legitimacy of this new car as an M model. If M gmbh wants to maintain the "brand identity" and distinguish the car from the traditional 128 and 135 lineup (beyond labeling it an iS), then they should incorporate the M quad exhaust. If incorporating this exhaust requires extensive design work to integrate successfully, then the engineers should be running mules with the new plumbing to ensure limited adverse impact when operated in concert with other necessary modifications (ie. suspension setup, wide body kit and the corresponding rubber, ground clearance issues, etc.)

Also, when the x5 M and x6 M cars were testing in mule-clad-camo, the high resolution spy pics clearly showed the inclusion of M-like side vents...given the already extreme nature of the fender flares on the mule in question, how difficult would it have been to insert M vents as a nod to those pondering the potential of an M 1 series?

I found another thread discussing the Jon Sibal rendering of the 1-series M being touted as evidence of the upcoming M announcement - ironically, the underlying article foreshadowed a 135is in this model iteration followed by the potential of a full blown M when the 1 series is completely redone. http://www.leftlanenews.com/bmw-1-series-m.html

I think folks so desperately want to see a 1-series M car (me included) for any number of reasons - back to the core product like the e30 M3 or a less expensive M variant or even a true love of the 1-series further fueled by a more potent version - but I really believe its clouding our judgement. I want to see some dead M give aways or hear something official from the bavarians.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 11:44 AM   #145
///Mangler
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Darth Vader Trackcar

Garage List
2000 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:

I think folks so desperately want to see a 1-series M car (me included) for any number of reasons - back to the core product like the e30 M3 or a less expensive M variant or even a true love of the 1-series further fueled by a more potent version - but I really believe its clouding our judgement. I want to see some dead M give aways or hear something official from the bavarians.
Your not a pure ///M enthusiast. Quads add NOTHING but weight and complexity ($$$). You can forget the E30M3 stuff also. Not going to happen. Who really cares if there are quad exhausts tips??? Are you going to be following your car around while someone else drives it?? WTF? This is the most useless discussion EVER. I would rather debate the brakes or the steering ratio. These items matter unlike the LOOK of quad exhausts.

T
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 01:46 PM   #146
Future M1 owner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: No BMW atm

I agree that if it doesn't need quads, don't put it on.
Look at that flimsy debacle on the Lexus IS-F, and the flack they've been getting, exactly because of bending over backwards to include quads.

Secondly, the latest test mule DOES HAVE fender gills. Look closely, the camo-vinyl is just pasted over them.

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 03:18 PM   #147
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
the exhaust sounds and looks exactly like the performance exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 05:15 PM   #148
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mangler View Post
Your not a pure ///M enthusiast. Quads add NOTHING but weight and complexity ($$$). You can forget the E30M3 stuff also. Not going to happen. Who really cares if there are quad exhausts tips??? Are you going to be following your car around while someone else drives it?? WTF? This is the most useless discussion EVER. I would rather debate the brakes or the steering ratio. These items matter unlike the LOOK of quad exhausts.

T
1. I think you meant, "YOU'RE not a pure m enthusiast."

2. I actually prefer the older models to the new ones and have owned, enjoyed, and/or raced all 3 series m variants so debating my loyalty/appreciation of the brand shouldn't be in question. As I mentioned, I'd be very excited to be proven wrong by BMW confirming the mule as a M derivative.

3. I don't think that M cars need a quad exhaust or fender vents (reference e30 and e36 variants that do more to define M than the later iterations) and I actually agree with YOUR point about the weight issue. My (clearly misinterpreted) point in the prior post was simply that BMW brand managers do care - so without quads or fender vents on the mule, this is likely not going to be BRANDED an M car regardless of performance or upgrades.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 05:42 PM   #149
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Secondly, the latest test mule DOES HAVE fender gills. Look closely, the camo-vinyl is just pasted over them.

[/QUOTE]

I don't see it...
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 07:16 PM   #150
kalare
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

I don't see it...
There's a clear line that shows a square shaped patch over the area where the gills would be. Perhaps this is because of some other reason, but there's also no reason to believe this mule doesn't have gills that are just covered up by this patch. Look closely, you'll see the pattern doesn't quite line up right in that area...
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 08:18 PM   #151
Future M1 owner
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalare View Post
There's a clear line that shows a square shaped patch over the area where the gills would be.
Exactly what I meant to point out with the pics. The shape of the opening seems not unlike, drumroll.....wait-for-it.....brace yourself...: The side vents on a 1970 Firebird
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 09:00 PM   #152
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalare View Post
There's a clear line that shows a square shaped patch over the area where the gills would be. Perhaps this is because of some other reason, but there's also no reason to believe this mule doesn't have gills that are just covered up by this patch. Look closely, you'll see the pattern doesn't quite line up right in that area...

I don't see it either.
Attached Images

04-25-2010, 09:07 PM   #153
Future M1 owner
Private First Class
Rep

OK, this is turning into a mix up of front and rear vents....I had the fronts in mind....

Edited to add:
I can only assume that "fender vents" or "fender gills" usually refer to those behind the front wheel. No M3 or M5 currently has vents behind the rear wheel by the way....

Last edited by Future M1 owner; 04-25-2010 at 09:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 11:27 AM   #154
RäDIOCLäSH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: jb 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska325xi View Post
the exhaust sounds and looks exactly like the performance exhaust
I want the M1 to sound AT LEAST this good...(cue it up to the 2:35 mark)

2010 Jet Black 135i Sport Package
Appreciate 0