BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-19-2010, 02:40 PM   #23
dcho
Captain
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

or you have my types, who are just too pu$$y to street race
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 03:02 PM   #24
White1
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 128i AW/Prem/PremAudio

It tends to be more of a young guy thing, at a certain age we all had our hand in street racing to show off, i dont care how much everyone preaches, we all did it at some point in time. If the opposite were true then most of us on this site wouldnt bother modding our cars.Im willing to bet that most people on this site that have modded 1ers will never see a track more than once in their lifetime...so really why are ppl modding?...pretty sure the odd red light burn.(maybe not to a high speed, but enough to feel the thrust)
Its only with maturity that we all start to realize the potential hazards of high speeds on a city street, and become less likely to do it, but lets face it we all anjoy a good blip of the throttle once in a while. If only track jockeys modded their cars, we'd all be driving 40 mpg Aveos.
      05-19-2010, 03:49 PM   #25
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by White1 View Post
It tends to be more of a young guy thing, at a certain age we all had our hand in street racing to show off, i dont care how much everyone preaches, we all did it at some point in time. If the opposite were true then most of us on this site wouldnt bother modding our cars.Im willing to bet that most people on this site that have modded 1ers will never see a track more than once in their lifetime...so really why are ppl modding?...pretty sure the odd red light burn.(maybe not to a high speed, but enough to feel the thrust)
Its only with maturity that we all start to realize the potential hazards of high speeds on a city street, and become less likely to do it, but lets face it we all anjoy a good blip of the throttle once in a while. If only track jockeys modded their cars, we'd all be driving 40 mpg Aveos.

Exactly.

This debate is one that's a lot like the drunk driving debate. Driving drunk and street racing are both dangerous, but there's a huge difference in two cars going at from a redlight on an open piece of road with no one around, and doing the same thing through an area where there's intersection, pedestrians, and lots of traffic to get in the way, just like there's a huge difference between someone having a couple of beers at dinner and driving home and someone who's been sitting at a bar doing shots for hours and can barely walk getting in the car and doing the same thing.

There are varying levels of both, and suggesting that street racing is completely unsafe no matter what the conditions is exactly the same thing as saying a person is unsafe to drive after one drink. Neither are true, but due to the fact that both are taken to extremes it's a very popular position to take.

Two cars out on an open road where no one's around aren't any more likely to hurt someone than two cars on a drag strip.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 03:51 PM   #26
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
Those people are beyond dumb! Big difference between driving fast competently on the street and racing on the street. No way out when you screw up racing on the street. Sometimes people get maimed or killed. Few drivers who can understand 2nd order differential equations would ever race on the street.

What's the big difference between one car and two if both drivers are competent?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 04:01 PM   #27
SlickShift
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW E90 M3 ZCP, '21 X5 ZMP

Like others have said, street racing is mainly for the young and irresponsible crowd. When I was younger I did a decent amount of street racing. Mainly by the influence of the car club I was a part of. Now that I'm a little older and don't really hang with that crowd as much, I'm much less tempted.

I've just got too much to lose now. Then again, if I'm on an empty highway and another fast car pulls up...I might give it a go. Sorry.
Retired: '00 323i, '06 325Ci, '09 135i, '06 Z4M Roadster, '93 525i, '76 2002, '14 X1, '14 M235i, '16 X4, '16 435i
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 04:14 PM   #28
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
I must be the minority here.. (IM 21) but I don't see anything wrong with a heads up race at a light or on the highway.... but only for a little bit..... no running lights or shit... just speed... been to the track in many cars, (Ferraris, BMWs, AMGs, etc..) I get more of a rush on the street... Sorry....

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 04:24 PM   #29
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post

Two cars out on an open road where no one's around aren't any more likely to hurt someone than two cars on a drag strip.
Not sure I can agree on that. On a dragstrip there is a control factor in that it is a closed road dedicated to your activity. The open road offers no guarantee that there is not an seperate unanticipated activity you did not expect that results in potential disaster.

"The Dingo ate your Mustang"
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 04:28 PM   #30
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

Quote:
Exactly.

This debate is one that's a lot like the drunk driving debate. Driving drunk and street racing are both dangerous, but there's a huge difference in two cars going at from a redlight on an open piece of road with no one around, and doing the same thing through an area where there's intersection, pedestrians, and lots of traffic to get in the way, just like there's a huge difference between someone having a couple of beers at dinner and driving home and someone who's been sitting at a bar doing shots for hours and can barely walk getting in the car and doing the same thing.

There are varying levels of both, and suggesting that street racing is completely unsafe no matter what the conditions is exactly the same thing as saying a person is unsafe to drive after one drink. Neither are true, but due to the fact that both are taken to extremes it's a very popular position to take.

I certainly agree with you about the zero tolerance attitude our society has adopted over the years. Your example of drinking and driving is 100% spot on. Apparently you are fine drive with a 0.07 BAC but are a menace with a 0.08 BAC. If you have .24 BAC you are still the same menace as the guy with 0.08 BAC? Seems silly to treat everyone equally. But that is a soap box for a different day.

With street racing I also agree that there is a lot less wrong with it *if* there is open road, no other cars and good visibility. The problem is probably more of a logistical one. It doesn't sound like most of these street racers are going out midday to the middle of nowhere for a race. Most of these stories start "some guy pulled up beside me at a stop light" or "a car pulled up on me on the highway". That does not sound like an empty street to me. Also, I bet when these races do take place on a "deserted highway", they likely happen at night when visibility is poor. You can't see cars on the shoulder or animals wandering on the road until they have become part of your grill. So until I hear a street racing story that begins "me and my buddy drove out to the middle of nowhere during the day and had a race when no one was around" then I will continue to assume that all street racers are doing something dumb.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 04:31 PM   #31
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjean View Post
Not sure I can agree on that. On a dragstrip there is a control factor in that it is a closed road dedicated to your activity. The open road offers no guarantee that there is not an seperate unanticipated activity you did not expect that results in potential disaster.

There's always a small risk, but that's the case anytime you're driving. I've seen plenty of unexpected things happen on a drag strip.

If two cars take off from a redlight with open road in front of them and clear sight lines on either side, the chances of something happening to them in the 15 seconds (or whatever time) the race is going to last are extremely small.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #32
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique14 View Post
It doesn't sound like most of these street racers are going out midday to the middle of nowhere for a race. Most of these stories start "some guy pulled up beside me at a stop light" or "a car pulled up on me on the highway". That does not sound like an empty street to me. Also, I bet when these races do take place on a "deserted highway", they likely happen at night when visibility is poor. You can't see cars on the shoulder or animals wandering on the road until they have become part of your grill. So until I hear a street racing story that begins "me and my buddy drove out to the middle of nowhere during the day and had a race when no one was around" then I will continue to assume that all street racers are doing something dumb.
I agree with you one that, and I don't advocate or condone that kind of stuff. I typically don't get too involved in these kind of threads, because it almost always ends badly, but there were a lot of unreasonable responses here, and I thought it could stand a little balance.

Even in areas where there's some traffic, if there's nothing in front of either car, a quick jaunt from a redlight to the top of second gear isn't really any different than if the light had been green and traffic was going through it at the speed limit.

As I said, there are varying degrees of "stupidity" when it comes to this kind of thing, and on the low end it's really not even as dangerous as someone who's taking a phone call or texting while trying to drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #33
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoutnj89 View Post
I must be the minority here.. (IM 21) but I don't see anything wrong with a heads up race at a light or on the highway.... but only for a little bit..... no running lights or shit... just speed... been to the track in many cars, (Ferraris, BMWs, AMGs, etc..) I get more of a rush on the street... Sorry....

Given that racing on a track is most likely faster, provides greater g's in the corners, must be more challenging and probably sustains longer - what exactly do you attribute the geater rush to on the street? Just the risk factor? If so it's just a shame that your risk is shared by others who do not choose to be put at risk.

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 04:38 PM   #34
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There's always a small risk, but that's the case anytime you're driving. I've seen plenty of unexpected things happen on a drag strip.

If two cars take off from a redlight with open road in front of them and clear sight lines on either side, the chances of something happening to them in the 15 seconds (or whatever time) the race is going to last are extremely small.
The difference is that everyone on the track chooses to accept that risk. Not true of everyone you could encounter or put at risk on the street.

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 04:43 PM   #35
heffergm
Private
Rep
Drives: '10 135ic

Why anyone gives a crap about going fast in a straight line is beyond me.
Corners please!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 04:48 PM   #36
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffergm View Post
Corners please!

Apex me.

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 05:00 PM   #37
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjean View Post
The difference is that everyone on the track chooses to accept that risk. Not true of everyone you could encounter or put at risk on the street.

And that's where you guys like to ignore the fact that I specifically mentioned no traffic around.

Honestly, when pulling out from a redlight with an open road in front of you, especially one that's limited access, the argument that a car is just going to jump out of nowhere without bothering to check for traffic doesn't hold water.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 05:02 PM   #38
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Corners please!

Because I can safely enjoy opening my car up every day of the week, while there are VERY limited opportunity to push it to the limits of its handling.

Why people don't understand the ability to enjoy both is the part that's beyond me. How many times have you had your car on the track in the last year?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 05:07 PM   #39
heffergm
Private
Rep

Quote:
Because I can safely enjoy opening my car up every day of the week, while there are VERY limited opportunity to push it to the limits of its handling.

Why people don't understand the ability to enjoy both is the part that's beyond me. How many times have you had your car on the track in the last year?
I didn't say anything about the corners having to be at a track. I don't live in Arizona where all the roads are straight as an arrow.

My point was simply that racing someone in a straight line holds zero appeal to me. I can enjoy plenty of back roads at a moderate clip with plenty of corner speed and not even break the speed limit on the straight bits.

As to your track question, I haven't had the car on the track. All my racing was on bikes in days gone by. I'm old!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 05:12 PM   #40
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Jeremyc74 I agree.... This is BS..... It is way more expensive to go to the track... plus there are rules insurance wise when it comes to the track... I do a lot of driving to School and work.... I open it up on the highway... DON'T CARE!!!!!

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 05:17 PM   #41
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I didn't say anything about the corners having to be at a track. I don't live in Arizona where all the roads are straight as an arrow.

My point was simply that racing someone in a straight line holds zero appeal to me. I can enjoy plenty of back roads at a moderate clip with plenty of corner speed and not even break the speed limit on the straight bits.

As to your track question, I haven't had the car on the track. All my racing was on bikes in days gone by. I'm old!

Hitting the apex on turn on the street can be every bit as dangerous as street racing though. You may not be breaking the speed limit, but you're still not being safe.

Now, you can say you're doing it in low risk areas, and you're making the chances of an encounter with another vehicle much lower, but that's exactly my point about two cars racing in a straight line. Under the right circumstances, the risk is very low.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 05:19 PM   #42
heffergm
Private
Rep

Quote:
Hitting the apex on turn on the street can be every bit as dangerous as street racing though. You may not be breaking the speed limit, but you're still not being safe.

Now, you can say you're doing it in low risk areas, and you're making the chances of an encounter with another vehicle much lower, but that's exactly my point about two cars racing in a straight line. Under the right circumstances, the risk is very low.
I wasn't disagreeing with you.

Although I would point out that 'hitting an apex' has nothing to do with your rate of speed. I can hit apexes all day long at 2mph if the mood strikes
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 05:22 PM   #43
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wasn't disagreeing with you.

Although I would point out that 'hitting an apex' has nothing to do with your rate of speed. I can hit apexes all day long at 2mph if the mood strikes

No, it has to do with crossing into the other lane, and on a back road that means into someone else's lane of travel.

We both know there's no joy in doing that at low speeds, and we both know that once you've reached the point where it's any fun at all, you're increasing your risks.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 05:30 PM   #44
heffergm
Private
Rep

Quote:
No, it has to do with crossing into the other lane, and on a back road that means into someone else's lane of travel.

We both know there's no joy in doing that at low speeds, and we both know that once you've reached the point where it's any fun at all, you're increasing your risks.
Whoa... sorry, but no. I never cross into the other (oncoming traffic) lane. That's another retarded move.

You can still apex corners using only the allotted lane. Obviously you aren't carrying tons of corner speed, but these are public
roads. The last thing I need is a head on collision.

I'm not pretending to obey the speed limit all the time. My only point was that I don't find hauling ass in a straight line overly enjoyable, be it on an empty road or otherwise.
Appreciate 0