E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Did i get ripped off?

09-07-2005, 12:21 PM   #1
BellasBmw
If love is the answer,please rephrase the question
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tit Silver 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Did i get ripped off?

Hey All.. as you know ive been on the forum for a couple months now, and after reading numerous posts about prices..etc. I am starting to feel that i got ripped off. Ok.. i got my car for $39,500 out the door. I believe msrp was $30,300 and after all my options it came out to be $36K. And tax, license..etc was another $3.5K.

Well i called my salesman after reading some of the posts regarding those in san diego who are getting these great deals. He kept telling me its bullshit, and there is no way those prices could be accurate. He also said i got $500 off, and that in itself was a great deal. He kept saying "just enjoy your car, your going to run into this kind of stuff all your life. People make up prices to get others jealous..etc" He also told me that angel eyes (headlights) are usually the LAST option ppl decide on, and it really isnt a big deal. WELL after learning on the forum that they are one of the TOP choices, i am pissed off.. because i feel like he fed me a line to get me to buy. He told me that its a part of growing up, and that i got a good deal, and to basically get over it.

Im sort of angry now, and regretting what i did.
      09-07-2005, 12:29 PM   #2
ZenDriver
Do Not Taunt Zen Driver.
Rep
Drives: 325i w/ MT, ZSP in Graphite

He is somewhat correct.

The majority of BMWs moved off the lots today are sold at within $500 of the MSRP. With financing at what it is and with people making as much money as they are, BMW is in a seller's market and, unlike GM, the company does not need to discount to move product.

BMW customers also tend to NOT shop around. The general perception on the market is that your going to pay MSRP, so most buyers do not go back and forth with dealers.

The same can be said for the angel eyes; I am willing to bet that the majority of people who walk into a dealer wanting that 325 on the lease special they saw in the newspaper couldn't give a flying leap about the headlights.

You have to remember that, on this forum, you are chatting with BMW enthuiasts and they are a VERY different breed from the typical BMW buyer. We are obsessive, we care about the options on our cars, we call around to find the deal we want and we usually know more about the car then the salesbot. Always keep this in mind when interacting with the dealer- when they say "most people" they really mean it... You do not count in that group.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2005, 12:38 PM   #3
rad21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellasBmw
Hey All.. as you know ive been on the forum for a couple months now, and after reading numerous posts about prices..etc. I am starting to feel that i got ripped off. Ok.. i got my car for $39,500 out the door. I believe msrp was $30,300 and after all my options it came out to be $36K. And tax, license..etc was another $3.5K.

Well i called my salesman after reading some of the posts regarding those in san diego who are getting these great deals. He kept telling me its bullshit, and there is no way those prices could be accurate. He also said i got $500 off, and that in itself was a great deal. He kept saying "just enjoy your car, your going to run into this kind of stuff all your life. People make up prices to get others jealous..etc" He also told me that angel eyes (headlights) are usually the LAST option ppl decide on, and it really isnt a big deal. WELL after learning on the forum that they are one of the TOP choices, i am pissed off.. because i feel like he fed me a line to get me to buy. He told me that its a part of growing up, and that i got a good deal, and to basically get over it.

Im sort of angry now, and regretting what i did.

BellasBMW,

I can't answer your question about the Angel Eyes, are you talking about the Xenon Adaptive Headlights? How much night driving do you do? Is it on winding roads? I'm sure you are younger than I am and have good night vision, wait until you hit 50

As far as price goes, I used to feel exactly like you do, whether it was a new car purchase, a stereo or a vacation. Someone always gets a better deal. I don't stress out over it anymore, the enjoyment I get from my car on a day to day basis , far exceeds my thinking about "could I have gotten a better deal". Enjoy the car, you have an awesome driving machine, no need for buyers remorse, you have driven your spankin' new car for a few months now and I'm sure people around you would look and say," Wow, what is that car, I have never seen one before". I have had so many positive comments since May, I have no regrets about the price I paid.
      09-07-2005, 12:40 PM   #4
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Yeah.. i regret more that i didnt find this forum before i bought the car haha.. I learned alot more. I guess i have to live and learn.. but ugh, it was eating me up. Im pretty independent and i thought i knew alot already and i just feel like i got screwed, and i HATE that feeling lol..

But what can i do now? Trading it in would be stupid, cause id lose prob $4K. If i sold it on my own- id have to deal w/ it all over again. So...i guess i can just throw myself a pity party and bitch for a little.. then get over it, like my salesman said.
      09-07-2005, 12:43 PM   #5
CC 330i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum

Bella,

It may be a little more than you could have paid, but not that much. At most you may have paid $1,500 more than you could have, but that's really not that much on a car costing close to 40K. Trust me, I did a lot worse on my last car. There's not much you can do about it now, other than be upset. You got a solid deal though, just not a great one. That's OK as long as you like your salesperson and he did a good job for you.

Thing is, you have learned a lot more now, (we all have) and you will be better prepared on your next car. I would hate to be the salesperson selling you your next car. You will be one tough customer.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2005, 12:46 PM   #6
puck724
COLTS 4 LIFE!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
bella-

im sure when you got your car there was a lot less negotiating room than there is now. and i agree with zen up there that on this forum everyone seems to know what they are talking about and know the inside and out of a BMW. not the typical run-of-the-mill car buyers.
      09-07-2005, 01:43 PM   #7
counter_strike
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330

deal

if it is not too late to back out. do it.
if you have taken delivery already. just enjoy your car
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2005, 01:47 PM   #8
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Lol. yeah its too late.. ive had my car for 2 months haha...I love it, but i was trying to see if there was any other option out there to allow me to change certian things i did/didnt get...etc.
      09-07-2005, 02:13 PM   #9
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
my car is 42xxx out the door. tax and license included. but i have navi and xenon.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2005, 02:14 PM   #10
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

You will live longer and happier if you react in a positive rather than negative way to perfectionism. There is only one person who got the best deal on an E-90; should the rest of us be pissed off? As I am reading your proud mama line, it sure looks like a dream to me. I am putzing around in a measley old E-46, and see far more desireable cars pass by everyday, and yet I continue to delude myself that life is really great, and I am thrilled by what my car does. Of course I am looking forward to a new E-90 sometime soon, and I will try to get the best deal possible, but the Big Picture is being happy regardless. There are lots of folks that did not get as good a deal, nor as nicely equipped an E90 as you did, but I imagine they are happy as clams with what they have.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2005, 02:15 PM   #11
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellasBmw
Lol. yeah its too late.. ive had my car for 2 months haha...I love it, but i was trying to see if there was any other option out there to allow me to change certian things i did/didnt get...etc.
you can buy the whole system for 2600. that including he clear healights from germany.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2005, 02:17 PM   #12
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc
You will live longer and happier if you react in a positive rather than negative way to perfectionism. There is only one person who got the best deal on an E-90; should the rest of us be pissed off? As I am reading your proud mama line, it sure looks like a dream to me. I am putzing around in a measley old E-46, and see far more desireable cars pass by everyday, and yet I continue to delude myself that life is really great, and I am thrilled by what my car does. Of course I am looking forward to a new E-90 sometime soon, and I will try to get the best deal possible, but the Big Picture is being happy regardless. There are lots of folks that did not get as good a deal, nor as nicely equipped an E90 as you did, but I imagine they are happy as clams with what they have.
agreed. beside you have an e90, how many other people have it????
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2005, 02:18 PM   #13
ga-bmwdrvr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E21 320i, E90 330i

Don't worry too much about it. As you said, "I love my car". I paid MSRP for mine and also love the car. I wanted the rear sun screens but ended up without them (I did not want to wait forever). I did get the colors and other options I wanted though. Now I just enjoy the car and do not miss the sun screens. I bet you never really thought about the angel eyes until reading about them on the forum. Enjoy your car!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2005, 02:21 PM   #14
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Thanks guys. Im trying to learn to be happy with what you have.. i know its hard, cause theres always something better/or something i should have done. Regret is a bitch haha.. But, you know.. i just wanted to know if i did get a good deal for the future. I posted to get opinions that way i know if i was ripped off, i wont be going back to my salesman or bmw of sd again. But if i did get a fair price, then ill feel confident in dealing with them again.
      09-07-2005, 02:26 PM   #15
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Give them a shot next time; revenge does no good. If they can top your best offer, and you have been happy with the service dept., then you win. A number of posts have indicated that they got especially good deals because they were repeat customers. Regardless, comparison shop and use the tactics suggested by the sage experienced sales-warriors on this list and elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2005, 02:31 PM   #16
BMW786
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SGraphite90

Salesmen will say anything to sell you a car. I got my car with the options listed in my signature (except for the chrome exhaust tips) for almost $37 k out the door. They weren't really willing to budge with the discount but I managed to get about $1200 off MSRP. I don't have the Sports or Premium package though. I spent almost two months shopping around, calling for prices, negotiating, and in the end I only got $200 more off MSRP than what most dealers were offering. I would recommend next time taking someone experienced with car-buying with you. They tried to con me into getting all these options I didn't want but I had my brother to ward them off.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2005, 02:35 PM   #17
counter_strike
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330

happy

Beside a new BMW, a new woman would make me happy.
Good headlights on BMW, new good headlights on the woman too!!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2005, 03:00 PM   #18
puck724
COLTS 4 LIFE!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
yeah, what counter_strike said....
      09-07-2005, 03:38 PM   #19
etherbored
klactoveesedstene
Rep
Drives: das gut

forgive me if i'm kicking up some dust, but i don't really see what you paid for the car.
forget the additions (tax, license, and so on).
you mentioned the MRSP is 36K.
what did you pay for the car *before* the additions?
i was able to negotiate almost 4% or $1600.00 off MSRP.
i learned that next time around (if there *is* a next time around), that it probably isn't worth my time and sanity for that relatively low level of discount.
FWIW, i completely agree with the sentiment that the battle is over and now you should enjoy the spoils of your victory regardless of the casualties.
second guessing yourself isn't healthy. however, analyzing details up front is.
-e-
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2005, 04:16 PM   #20
jennyt71
Red Raider '99 & '02
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 06 325i

I paid MSRP for my car - mainly because it had exactly what I wanted on it and there were no others in Houston on the ground like it. (Plenty coming in, but never an exact date...plus they often had options I didnt want) I knew I would pay MSRP, so I didnt do haggling..they did do a LOT better on my trade in than I ever thought...So, I'm happy with the car, the price and especially what I got on my trade! I've NEVER paid MSRP before, but then again, I've never had a BMW before now.
I love the car and dont regret what I paid when I make out the check.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2005, 04:37 PM   #21
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Bella, Keep in mind that you bought your car early (as did I, and many others here). There were no discounts to speak of at that time. Even if you paid MSRP you didn't get "ripped off". You have a great car, so the best thing to do is enjoy it and drive a hard bargain when the time comes to trade it for a new one. I go through the same thoughts on large purchases too, but don't let it ruin your enjoyment.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2005, 04:48 PM   #22
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Yeah i agree.. Well thats good, atleast i know i wasnt basically "bending over" for them haha..

U know what? Now that the break in period is over.. The car feels MUCH MUCH faster.. Its incredible. I never had a brand new car, so this whole break in thing is quite new to me, but wow.. what a difference.