BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-26-2007, 02:09 PM   #1
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Bosch Stop-Start system available as a retro-fit for 1-series owners

Hope they offer this as a standard feature in North America. Seems like an easily digestible way to cut emissions without changing engine format.

Combined with things like cylinder deactivation and brake energy regeneration, and overall improvements in engine efficiency, I'd guess emissions for standard gas engines will start to dive with minimal to no impact on driving enjoyment.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/03/26/b...-bmw-1-series/
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2007, 03:46 PM   #2
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudwest View Post
Hope they offer this as a standard feature in North America. Seems like an easily digestible way to cut emissions without changing engine format.

Combined with things like cylinder deactivation and brake energy regeneration, and overall improvements in engine efficiency, I'd guess emissions for standard gas engines will start to dive with minimal to no impact on driving enjoyment.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/03/26/b...-bmw-1-series/
Yep, it's coming in the N/A 1-er...along with regenerative brakes, speed sensitive water-pump. Somewhere I posted a press release on standard features for the 1-er 3 door.
It only makes sense all of those technology's will be carried over to the coupe and cabrio.
btw...I'm iffy on the stop/start...but I think it can be de-activated by the driver.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2007, 08:36 PM   #3
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
Yep, it's coming in the N/A 1-er...along with regenerative brakes, speed sensitive water-pump. Somewhere I posted a press release on standard features for the 1-er 3 door.
It only makes sense all of those technology's will be carried over to the coupe and cabrio.
btw...I'm iffy on the stop/start...but I think it can be de-activated by the driver.
It can indeed be deactivated. I am iffy about it as well (along with all the other neat, but very new technologies on this car). Having worked in a BMW service department I know that first year cars (like the one I would be purchasing) with new technologies are often a headache, so hopefully I am proven wrong. I remember how much of a pain the early e60s, e65s, and e63s were......It doesn't really matter too much though, my local dealer has one of the best BMW service departments in the world and they have free BMW loaners for use :headbang:.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 06:50 AM   #4
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Longhorn, since you worked on BMW's...would you post on what you think might be some problem areas with stop/start that would concern you?

I want to see BMW step up to the plate with emissions,
but "Stop/Start" seems like it's going to put a huge strain on the starter mechanisms and affect long-term engine durability.
For those of us who do innercity daily drives, stoplight-to-stoplight, this solution begs the question, "Why not get a hybrid?"
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 08:27 AM   #5
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

The fact that it can be disabled is what makes me comfortable with the feature. I'm sure there are scenarios where the stop/start would be very annoying, but others where it would make a lot of sense. Doesn't look like I'll be buying in the first year, so I'll be looking to you guys to get all the bugs out. That said, my E46 is a '99 (first year) and it's been great, so far...
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 09:14 PM   #6
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
Longhorn, since you worked on BMW's...would you post on what you think might be some problem areas with stop/start that would concern you?

I want to see BMW step up to the plate with emissions,
but "Stop/Start" seems like it's going to put a huge strain on the starter mechanisms and affect long-term engine durability.
For those of us who do innercity daily drives, stoplight-to-stoplight, this solution begs the question, "Why not get a hybrid?"
Well, my opinion is probably about as good as yours as I was only a valet when I worked in the service department . Personally, I would be worried with just about every part of that system, but mainly the starter and the sensors used to determine the position of the crankshaft as I believe they are used to determine the exact position of the crank so that the engine does not need to be "primed".
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 06:46 PM   #7
ibn
Rep
Drives:

can someone explain how this system exactly works?

does it cut off your engine whenever it is stop, say at a red light or a stop sign and then turn back on whenever you start to accelerate again? wouldn't that put a large strain on your engine?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 10:32 PM   #8
thesunfell
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibn View Post
can someone explain how this system exactly works?

does it cut off your engine whenever it is stop, say at a red light or a stop sign and then turn back on whenever you start to accelerate again? wouldn't that put a large strain on your engine?
that's how the new toyota prius works...stop engine off, let off the brake and idle , engine off, give it a little gas, engine off, hit 2-3 mph and engine kicks on...unless you are at a idle and the battery's charge becomes low...then it kicks on...

i've seen those things over 100k miles and still running strong (they started in 04 with the new body style) but they aren't exactly old and worn in yet...just alot of miles...only time will tell...and those are toyota's, a whole different world of engines...

but i don't think it's that bad...esp since bmw makes a solid engine to begin with...if it were a kia or chevy i'd be terribly worried
Appreciate 0