BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-17-2018, 10:21 PM   #23
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I totally agree! But silly and fun loving is not, IMHO, related to maturity.
I agree. I was making an incorrect assumption, and contributing to the thread in my own silly way.
      02-17-2018, 10:41 PM   #24
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Quote:
Chris,

If I didn't know you were 17, I would guess more like 30. No exaggeration! You are more mature than some here who are well past 30.
Make room in that boat.
I also would have had no idea. But in my defense I'm really not here to make friends or learn about people. Odds are I'll never meet any of you in person to confirm you actually exist; I'm not truly sure I exist.
Comes from years and years of talking with thousands of new people a year and seeing them maybe twice there after ... but everyone expects you to remember them, when they want something.

And funny thing about Toyota, the new Supra ...
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2018, 10:47 PM   #25
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
PLEASE, let it live up to the hype and be as good as the last Supra was in its time!

PS - ex Supra owner here...
      02-17-2018, 10:48 PM   #26
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
Make room in that boat.
I also would have had no idea. But in my defense I'm really not here to make friends or learn about people. Odds are I'll never meet any of you in person to confirm you actually exist; I'm not truly sure I exist.
Comes from years and years of talking with thousands of new people a year and seeing them maybe twice there after ... but everyone expects you to remember them, when they want something.

I've been fortunate to meet a lot of people from the various forums I am on. Typically most remember me, but I am not so good at remembering others.

I actually enjoy the interaction on the forums as much as the knowledge I gain from them.
      02-18-2018, 12:07 AM   #27
TridenTBoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135is

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
And here I am at about $3000 in my first year of ownership and I do almost all the work and buy my parts as cheap as I can get.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 07:10 AM   #28
rowsdower
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6MT Sport

BMW parts and labor are certainly more expensive, and the cars are more complex and have more features, so there is more to break. However, I still think the data is skewed somewhat. My opinion is that people generally lease new BMWs for the badge and then trade up. The cars sold as CPOs a few years later tend to have a higher percentage of enthusiasts who purchase them, and who want their cars to be perfect and have the money to put into them. Toyotas, on the other hand, tend to be owned by people who do not care about the car (notable exceptions for the 86 and off-roaders). They view it as an appliance only, and will only put money into it when absolutely needed. How many completely clapped out Toyotas do you see on the road? Just because the owners did not fix the suspension that blew 50k miles ago doesn't necessarily mean the car is "cheaper to own"...

If I wanted to own a car as cheaply as possible, I would buy a Corolla. It wouldn't be nearly as nice as my car, wouldn't have the features my car has, wouldn't drive well at all, wouldn't have the aftermarket support to track it, etc. On the other end of the spectrum, I could own a Ferrari. As in all aspects of life, the right answer (for me) is a compromise somewhere in the middle which the cheaper BMWs pull off quite well.
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2018, 12:02 PM   #29
Havocsteve
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

My parents owned a Corolla years ago. It made them money as a bus shelter fell on top of it when my mother was at work at the Hospital (they were installing a new bus shelter beside the parking lot). My dad maintained it but with over 500,000kms on it, he was tired once the water pump hose blew. That car was the shit lol.

Honestly though, I have spent a good chunk of change on my 1er. I'm on my 2nd VVT servo motor, which is my fault but at $500 for the motor alone, then add $800 for labor because I refuse to do it again, I'm almost 3grand for this repair alone after the first time around. I've also done the water pump/tstat at almost $1400 total as well. Besides the oil changes and tires though, nothing else has occurred. I've went from Toronto Canada to Charlottetown PEI and back through the states without issues and have logged almost 80,000kms on the 1er. So putting 3grand over 5yrs of ownership isn't really that bad. (I mention 3 grand because if I didn't attempt the VVT motor myself, it would have been a 1 time repair). So $4500 total with my mistake. So after maths, 75$ per month on maintenance items.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 12:08 PM   #30
minirips2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6M CR Slicktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain slowly View Post
I do enjoy my car, but it is a garage queen, which is why it hasn't given me any issues (only 14k on it). My E39 and E46 experiences were absolute dumpster fires, and they both had relatively low miles when I bought them years ago-- around 60k. So I clearly haven't learned anything, since I came back for more
With that being said, my 135i will be sold this summer.
Quote:
I totally agree! But silly and fun loving is not, IMHO, related to maturity.
+1. Four year old children are silly and fun-loving. So are many elderly people!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 04:35 PM   #31
Zombie_Head
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: E30 325i 4-Door

They should make a list for Germany, because even though BMW can charge a lot, they are nothing compared to Mercedes and Porsche, those guys make BMW charges look like a Toyota here.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 09:09 PM   #32
Hops128i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i, manual, sport pkg

I wouldn't give much weight to these numbers, this data is from a specific repair company (YourMechanic). I've found pricing for repairs to vary in ways i wouldn't expect. Before i DIYd a battery change, a local european repair shop quoted me $600. I later found the same service specially priced at $200 at a bmw dealer.

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...y-maddy-martin
And they say:
At YourMechanic, we have a massive dataset of the make and model of the cars we have serviced and the type of maintenance done. We decided to use our data to understand which cars break down the most and have the highest maintenance costs.
      02-18-2018, 09:14 PM   #33
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops128i View Post
I wouldn't give much weight to these numbers, this data is from a specific repair company (YourMechanic). I've found pricing for repairs to vary in ways i wouldn't expect. Before i DIYd a battery change, a local european repair shop quoted me $600. I later found the same service specially priced at $200 at a bmw dealer.

And they say:
At YourMechanic, we have a massive dataset of the make and model of the cars we have serviced and the type of maintenance done. We decided to use our data to understand which cars break down the most and have the highest maintenance costs.
Exactly!
      02-19-2018, 12:49 AM   #34
fast1eddy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Lemans Blue

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
My wife drives a 2009 Toyota Highlander and I drive a 2008 X3 as my winter vehicle. They both have about the same mileage. The Highlander we've had since new and the only things that have gone wrong with it has been a power steering hose and a malfunctioning power tailgate. The power steering hose was fixed as a recall item even though the car was out of warranty. The power steering hose was replaced with a reengineered hose to fix a known problem. We just got a notice that there is a voluntary recall for the power tailgate if we want it fixed. Toyota's attitude seems to be if we didn't make it right to begin with we'll engineer a fix. BMW's attitude seems to be if it breaks we'll just sell you another one. Injectors, coils, water pumps, OFHG and cooling systems in general are prime examples of this.
I've got a misfire on my X3 right now, I wander what the problem will be..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 07:25 AM   #35
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT

Quote:

And they say:
I don't think you know how statistics work, with all due respect.
See, whether its "yourmechanic", "consumer reports" or someone else, they all rely on their sample size. You say "prices vary between places", but honestly, that's irrelevant here. If we assume you are suggesting their prices are too high, are they only too high when it comes to BMW's? Wouldn't they be too high across the board, thus making your argument invalid? All the information they present shows is, that BMW's break more often than the rest. Ignore the repair costs. My only question for them is the sample size. That's something they did not disclose, and I'm guessing its fairly small if VW comes out as more reliable than Acura.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 08:18 AM   #36
Hops128i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I don't think you know how statistics work, with all due respect.
See, whether its "yourmechanic", "consumer reports" or someone else, they all rely on their sample size. You say "prices vary between places", but honestly, that's irrelevant here. If we assume you are suggesting their prices are too high, are they only too high when it comes to BMW's? Wouldn't they be too high across the board, thus making your argument invalid? All the information they present shows is, that BMW's break more often than the rest. Ignore the repair costs. My only question for them is the sample size. That's something they did not disclose, and I'm guessing its fairly small if VW comes out as more reliable than Acura.

Of course i'm suggesting there's a lack in uniformity pricing across brands for a specific operation, that's my argument. That's the point of my anecdote on the battery pricing. You can dispute it, but assuming my point shows a lack of knowledge of statistics is indeed insulting!

How are you assuming the accumulated price of repairs over 10 years is associated to frequency of repair?

Last edited by Hops128i; 02-19-2018 at 08:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 09:15 AM   #37
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Of course i'm suggesting there's a lack in uniformity pricing across brands for a specific operation, that's my argument. That's the point of my anecdote on the battery pricing. You can dispute it, but assuming my point shows a lack of knowledge of statistics is indeed insulting!

How are you assuming the accumulated price of repairs over 10 years is associated to frequency of repair?
I said what I said because you chose to ignore the repair costs of other high end vehicles like Mercedes-Benz, and insinuated that it is only "overpriced" on BMW's, and nothing else. Hence why I'll tell you again, to not look at the dollar amount as that will vary across BMW/Mercedes-Benz and so on. Focus on the percentage difference, as that paints you a better reliability (read: is it broken?) picture. Again, I feel you don't understand what you are looking at, and again, it is with all due respect, as I'm not looking to start an argument.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 10:44 AM   #38
Hops128i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I said what I said because you chose to ignore the repair costs of other high end vehicles like Mercedes-Benz, and insinuated that it is only "overpriced" on BMW's, and nothing else. Hence why I'll tell you again, to not look at the dollar amount as that will vary across BMW/Mercedes-Benz and so on. Focus on the percentage difference, as that paints you a better reliability (read: is it broken?) picture. Again, I feel you don't understand what you are looking at, and again, it is with all due respect, as I'm not looking to start an argument.
OK, i'll repeat my point again with an underlining experience. My neighbour, a BMW master tech is part of an independent repair shop that will service most makes, yet they principally
have bmw experience as they are techs are mostly from various bmw dealers. I'd imagine a benz would take more effort, thus probably cost to more to service from THAT PARTICULAR SHOP. The source data from this discussion is from SINGLE repair shop. And my point is for this data is it's POSSIBLE that brand specific pricing is not representative on average.

I'm NOT disputing a BMW is more expensive to service nor that they break down more than the average car. Also, I am not even disputing your analysis. The area of disagreement is with how suitable this data is for analysis. My armchair causal opinion is that it is not.

Last edited by Hops128i; 02-19-2018 at 12:04 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2018, 05:23 PM   #39
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
Pfft, skip Mexican? You REALLY don't know me

I guess I'm just old-fashioned, even though I'm (almost undoubtedly) the newest guy on the block! Some (my side) will resist change, and some (your side) will accept it and champion it, until us (my side) gets it through our thick skulls that our way is not the fastest, not the most reliable, not the most practical, and not the only way to enjoy driving.

With the power vested in me, I dub thee YOUNG28i
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2018, 05:37 PM   #40
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post
With the power vested in me, I dub thee YOUNG28i
There's a new guy who's also 17, but unless he's from after Dec. 18, I'm younger
      02-20-2018, 12:06 PM   #41
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Of course I'm going to chime in here. Current cost for my current 1er at 2 years of ownership:

$11,000 for maintenance and repairs. Not repairs for damages, repairs for mechanical failures (OFHG, thermostat/water pump, etc.)
      02-20-2018, 12:53 PM   #42
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
Of course I'm going to chime in here. Current cost for my current 1er at 2 years of ownership:

$11,000 for maintenance and repairs. Not repairs for damages, repairs for mechanical failures (OFHG, thermostat/water pump, etc.)
I wonder why you would keep that lemon?

Secondarily, how many of the cars with high repair costs are modified?

Third, are 128i cars more or less costly to own?
      02-20-2018, 01:22 PM   #43
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
I wonder why you would keep that lemon?

Secondarily, how many of the cars with high repair costs are modified?

Third, are 128i cars more or less costly to own?
Warranty covered it all. The majority of the repairs were pretty common with these cars too!
      02-20-2018, 01:27 PM   #44
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
Warranty covered it all. The majority of the repairs were pretty common with these cars too!
I see. Thanks for the explanation.