BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-15-2008, 09:53 PM   #1
romka7
Private
Rep
Drives:

Extended warranty

Does anyone know if BMW offers extended warranty and service plan past the 50k and if so what is the cost. Also can you buy it at a later date (before the original expires). I would assume the car is pretty costly to repair might be worth it.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 11:33 PM   #2
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

That is a question for your dealer, IMO. They will provide the details you need to make your decision. Extended warranties are seldom the same as the factory warranty so be sure and read the fine print.
      01-16-2008, 06:32 AM   #3
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
Extended warranty is usually a Rip off

But the cpo 100k is availabe but pricey and you even have to keep oem rims and tires on to qualify!
      01-16-2008, 10:15 AM   #4
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by romka7 View Post
Does anyone know if BMW offers extended warranty and service plan past the 50k and if so what is the cost. Also can you buy it at a later date (before the original expires). I would assume the car is pretty costly to repair might be worth it.
Yes & Yes - they offer it and you can buy it at any time before the original warranty period expires.
I paid approx $2K to add an additional 3 years to the original warranty ( and I bought the most inclusive bumper-to-bumper coverage offered).
A good deal IMO..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 05:12 AM   #5
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

I was thinking about getting one after doing reasearch and finding MANY MANY MAD people with automatic trans problems. I am not getting an auto, but I read about MANY MANY OTHER PROBLEMS that BMW owners are very unhappy with.

WOW, I REALLY want a 135i manual, but I am VERY NERVOUS.
I don't mind a few bugs, BUT many have to wait 2-8 weeks for parts. What about a car to drive while waiting???????????????
I can't afford 2 CARS.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 06:10 AM   #6
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

If I still have this car in 4 years (I won't be over 50k miles), I'll probably get the extended warranty, if I plan on keep the car. It's transferable to new owners, so it is also a great selling point.

Jeff1962, almost every BMW dealer offers loaners to people for overnight service, as long as you bought the car there. I follow posts on e90post as well, since I have the e90, and I don't see "many having to wait 2-8 weeks for parts". Where are you seeing that?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 07:29 AM   #7
vivid
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 135i, 323i

Larry,
I'd expect a loaner for anything that is going to take over an hour, in other words anything other than an oil change...

romka7,
here is a great page that talks about third party extended warranties link...

Current: 135i, 323i wagon.
Sold:GTI
Sold: FX45
Sold: E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 03:59 PM   #8
rave426
Oh Hai
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 GT, E46 M3, Skylines

I hear warranty direct is the best 3rd party warranty you can get.
http://www.warrantydirect.com/

Quote; 2008 135i

LuxuryCare+

7 year 100K - bumper-to-bumper - ~$3000 with 100 deductable

Seems to cover everything except wear items.. Looks like a pretty good deal to me

Quote:
LuxuryCare+

LuxuryCare+ is our top of the line, bumper-to-bumper warranty coverage designed for vehicles with GPS/Navigation; DVD Video systems; Telephone/Bluetooth Systems and/or Internet Access systems. Simply stated, if it breaks or wears out, and is not among the short list of exclusions, it is covered. If you are looking at a plan that lists the parts covered, while the list may be comprehensive, there will be hundreds of parts not covered.

The exclusions are similar to your factory warranty, primarily cosmetic items (seat fabric, carpeting, body molding) and consumable items (tires, battery, wiper blades). Routine maintenance is also excluded (oil changes, belts, hoses, tune-ups).

You are covered for all 16 systems on your vehicle including engine, transmission, ABS, brakes, air conditioning, electronics, computers and thousands of other parts. But we don't stop there.

EVERY LuxuryCare+ contract provides coverage for your Emissions System , Airbag Electronics , DVD Video System, GPS/Navigation System, Phone/Bluetooth System, Internet Access System, seals & gaskets, wear-and-tear failures, and damage due to overheating and allows for an unlimited number of claims.

LuxuryCare+ will cover diagnostic fees, parts, labor and sales tax (where applicable) for a covered failure. LuxuryCare+ plans include FREE 24x7 roadside assistance for the FULL term of the extended warranty and include $100 towing benefits. You also receive car rental reimbursement and travel interruption benefits. If you’re not completely satisfied within the first 60 days, we will issue a 100% refund, provided no claims were filed.

Our claims department offers long hours and is even open on Saturday’s. With over 50 people dedicated to handling your claim, you can be assured that claims are handled quickly and accurately.

LuxuryCare+ Coverage Statement

We will pay the repair facility of your choice for the reasonable cost to repair or replace any part of your vehicle where a failure has occurred, except for those items listed in the exclusions section.

In addition, LuxuryCare+ includes coverage for the following parts:

Emissions Systems - Air Fuel Ratio Sensor, Air Induction System, Air Pump, Anti-Knock Sensor, Barometric Pressure Sensor, Canister Purge Solenoid, Deceleration Valve, EGR Recirculation System, EGR/EFE Thermal Vacuum Switch, EGR/EFE Valve, Engine Oil Fill Cap, Fuel Fill Pipe and Cap, Fuel Fill Neck Restrictor, Fuel Receptacle, Fuel Sensor, Fuel Tank Pressure Control Valve (PCV), Fuel Temperature Sensor, Idle Air Control Valve, Intake Air Resonator, Intake Air Temperature Sensor, Intake Manifold, Manifold Air Pressure (MAP) Sensor, Mass Air Flow Sensor, Oil/Air Separator, Oxygen Sensor, PCV System, Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve, Powertrain Control Module (PCM), Secondary Air Injection System, Throttle Body Assembly (MFI).

GPS Navigation Systems - Factory Installed Navigation display unit, navigation control module, navigation system wiring harness.

DVD/Entertainment Systems - Factory Installed LCD screen (10" or less), RF modulator, video cassette player with auxiliary inputs (No recording capability), digital video disc player, power converter.

Phone Systems - Factory Installed Charger/cradle, microphone, speakers, phone.

Internet Access Systems - Factory Installed Power converter, satellite receiver, satellite dish or wireless receiver (Metropolitan areas only).

Airbag Electronics - Airbag modules, sensor(s), airbag cable/contact coil, clock spring, on/off switch.

Exclusions:

Battery; Battery/Battery Pack on hybrid vehicles; Shock Absorbers; Manual Transmission Clutch Assembly; Friction Clutch Disc & Pressure Plate; Throw Out Bearing; Manual and hydraulic linkages; Safety restraint systems (including air bags); Glass; Lenses; Sealed Beams; Bulbs; Brake Rotors & Drums; Weather Strips; Exterior Body Parts/Ornamentation; Paint; Upholstery & Carpet; Tires; Wheels/Rims; Exhaust System.

Maintenance services and parts described in your vehicle's owner's manual as supplied by the manufacturer. (i.e. oil changes, tune-ups, brake pads, belts, hoses and spark plugs)
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 04:02 PM   #9
vivid
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 135i, 323i

Rave hola :wave: ...

warrantydirect is a very good one.

Current: 135i, 323i wagon.
Sold:GTI
Sold: FX45
Sold: E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 05:17 PM   #10
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

The best warranty is the factory one. You don't have to wait for the advisers to call and negotiate prices with some aftermarket company, who might deny the claim. I've seen a company deny a final stage resistor, because it didn't match the wording of the contract. We ended up goodwilling it, but it wasted several hours of phone tag. If the car was under BMW's extended service warranty, it would have been out the door in less than an hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzodesh View Post
But the cpo 100k is availabe but pricey and you even have to keep oem rims and tires on to qualify!
In order to qualify for CPO, the car has to be used. The only way to get CPO out of a new car is to lease. You can turn in the car at the end of the contract and buy it back.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 05:04 AM   #11
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

In addition to the extended warranty, BMW offers and extended Maintenance plan. It keeps the scheduled service going for 2 more years. Not only oil changes but brakes and wipers like the original 50K mile Maintenance plan. I was checking into it on my Z4 and it was $1500 for two years. The SA told me a brake job for one axel is $375.
      05-06-2008, 09:49 AM   #12
bmrgrl
Private
Rep
Drives:

I am planning on doing the same before the warranty expires (not now). Check your credit union as well (if you have one), they also have extended warranties for vehicles, although if the price is equivalent, I would still go with a BMW one for the same reasons stated above.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 05:18 PM   #13
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1962 View Post
I was thinking about getting one after doing reasearch and finding MANY MANY MAD people with automatic trans problems. I am not getting an auto, but I read about MANY MANY OTHER PROBLEMS that BMW owners are very unhappy with.

WOW, I REALLY want a 135i manual, but I am VERY NERVOUS.
I don't mind a few bugs, BUT many have to wait 2-8 weeks for parts. What about a car to drive while waiting???????????????
I can't afford 2 CARS.
My local dealership gives a loner 325i or 328i out as a loaner if you are having service done. If you have a 550i or higher I believe you get a 5 series loaner.

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0