BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-17-2010, 07:09 PM   #1
spmd11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Performance Snow vs. just snow

Guys, looking at getting snow tires for the 1er vert.

How do the non performance snows handle compared to the performance snows? Is it not tolerable to have a non performance snow?

Anyone try the Michelin X-Ice Xi2?
      12-17-2010, 07:38 PM   #2
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

I just ordered those on my 17's...however I haven't gotten the car to put them on....from what i've read they're rated very close the blizzaks
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 08:39 PM   #3
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

ice and snow tires like B Blizaks are good for the Northeast. They are a bit squishy. In Kentucky you are better off with performance snows, better handling but are not as good on ice.

In Maryland I may chose low profile General ice/snow tire for lots of highway driving and trips to the northeast. Blizaks are over priced and you might get 3 seasons of them, but the are the best.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 11:07 AM   #4
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Tire Rack uses the terms "Performance Snow" and "Studless ice & Snow". Main differences I've noticed:

Studless: Q or non speed rated
Best Snow & Ice traction
Dry road handling feels like jelly.

Performance: H or V speed rated
Good snow traction
Dry road handling feel like all-seasons.

In Kentucky, I'd opt for the performance snows. (Some Blizzaks are performance, some are studless.)

Tom
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2010, 11:56 PM   #5
SpeedballTrix
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT SBM/CBL; 2022 X5

I spent the money to get good performing snow tires: Pirelli Sottozero 240 Winter Runflats. I went with runflats for the winter tires because who wants to be changing a tire in a blizzard?
They feel awesome, I actually left them on through the summer (they still have tons of tread left) because they work so well.
My advice is: If you plan to literally swap the tires on only for actual snow on the ground and then swap them back when its dry, then you can probably get non-performance snows. But if you're like me then spend the money for a set of performance winter tires and you wont regret it.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2010, 11:57 PM   #6
1on135_deal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

best too let the beasts sleep it off
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 09:47 PM   #7
Duckles McGee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Pending

As stated, if they are dedicated for now, get the snow tires.

Here in PA, we get a healthy amount of ice and snow and I have used performance winters for the past 4 years with great success. Never had an issue in any condition and they hold their own in cold weather with dry roads and my 50 mile mostly highway commute. The highways hear even in bad storms are cleared pretty quickly.

I've even used them in a pinh in warm weather and they worked fine, they just wear quicker as the rubber compound is extremely soft on the warm roads.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 10:38 PM   #8
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

I put the X-Ice Xi2 on 17s - N55. Overall, they do a pretty good job. I'm in Cleveland (winter hasn't been too bad, yet), and I've been able to go anywhere. Noise isn't bad at all. Smooth at higher speeds. Really good MPG (better than stock). The only negatives I've noticed:

-Takeoff is slightly slippery in certain snow mixtures - I think throwing some extra weight in the the trunk would be helpful. Never stuck, though.
-Lateral movement (quicker turns, etc.) is a little rubbery feeling on dry surfaces. Then again, this is my first set of winter tires, so I have no comparison (other than summers).
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 12:04 AM   #9
Duckles McGee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Part of the "rubbery" feeling is the difference in tire compound and 17" wheel. If your summers are RFT's, the the ride will be MUCH softer due to the more flexible

The slipping is normal for a car as powerful as the 135i. In wintery conditions you have to adjust your driving style and take it easy. My past car was FWD and I had the same slip from a start, but the car would eventually get traction. Not sure if you drove on summers in the cold, but the grip with a winter tire is far superior with a tire that doesn't turn into a hockey puck in temps below 40 degrees.

Here in PA, my general rule is to switch after Turkey day and then back mid-march. That being said, I bought my 135 earlier this month and didn't switch until two weeks ago. Right before that we had a mild coating and the summers had very little grip even in the dry.

Needless to say, DSC does an amazing job at keeping car pointed down the road. I was worried about having a RWD tire in the winter, but I purposely went out in this past storm and the car with winters is extremely capable.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 12:28 AM   #10
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckles McGee View Post
Part of the "rubbery" feeling is the difference in tire compound and 17" wheel. If your summers are RFT's, the the ride will be MUCH softer due to the more flexible

The slipping is normal for a car as powerful as the 135i. In wintery conditions you have to adjust your driving style and take it easy. My past car was FWD and I had the same slip from a start, but the car would eventually get traction. Not sure if you drove on summers in the cold, but the grip with a winter tire is far superior with a tire that doesn't turn into a hockey puck in temps below 40 degrees.

Here in PA, my general rule is to switch after Turkey day and then back mid-march. That being said, I bought my 135 earlier this month and didn't switch until two weeks ago. Right before that we had a mild coating and the summers had very little grip even in the dry.

Needless to say, DSC does an amazing job at keeping car pointed down the road. I was worried about having a RWD tire in the winter, but I purposely went out in this past storm and the car with winters is extremely capable.
What tire do you have?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 02:45 PM   #11
Duckles McGee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

For this car I have a set of Dunlop WinterSport M3 on 17" sport editions that the previous owner purchased and included with the sale. I've got about two seasons left on them, but I will probably buy the same ones again.

My last few sets were Wintersport 3D's (on 16" wheels), but they seem to have similar drive characteristics just different sizes/ widths.

Edit.. It looks like the 3D is the replacement to the M3's, so I might have had M3's before. I can't find my tirerack emails for what I ordered previously. Either way, I believe they are similar.
Appreciate 0