BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-31-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
bklounge
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Ground Control Camber Plates Install HELP HELP HELP

i'm attempting to install ground control camber plates + kw v3's, but the stabilizer link bar WILL NOT ALIGN. I'm losing my mind. What am I doing wrong??? The camber plate and strut are correct for the drivers side. Pleeeeeassseee someone help. Pictures attached

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 10:12 PM   #2
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Just push down on the links to line up with the anti roll bar bracket. Both front wheels should be off of the ground as well so you are not pre-loading the bar.

You should use the oem shoulder nuts on the strut tower brace as well, that way the camber plate has no chance to move around.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 10:42 PM   #3
bklounge
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Just push down on the links to line up with the anti roll bar bracket. Both front wheels should be off of the ground as well so you are not pre-loading the bar.

You should use the oem shoulder nuts on the strut tower brace as well, that way the camber plate has no chance to move around.
Thanks for the reply. Both front wheels are off the ground. I'm on a jack and two jack stands.

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly. The anti roll bar bracket is seated and aligned to my eyes. Although the link nuts aren't fully tightened in the picture, it makes no difference when they are.

There's no give anywhere. The strut is fully seated in the golden kw sleeve, the stabilizer bar is solid, held up the metal link below the brakes, and the 3 bolts/nuts in the engine bay attached to the camber plate won't budge.

I will try with the oem nuts shoulder nuts tomorrow. The KW supplied ones are ridiculous to work with due the locking garbage at the top. Even with the oem nuts, this problem won't be resolved.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 11:11 PM   #4
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklounge View Post
Thanks for the reply. Both front wheels are off the ground. I'm on a jack and two jack stands.

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly. The anti roll bar bracket is seated and aligned to my eyes. Although the link nuts aren't fully tightened in the picture, it makes no difference when they are.

There's no give anywhere. The strut is fully seated in the golden kw sleeve, the stabilizer bar is solid, held up the metal link below the brakes, and the 3 bolts/nuts in the engine bay attached to the camber plate won't budge.

I will try with the oem nuts shoulder nuts tomorrow. The KW supplied ones are ridiculous to work with due the locking garbage at the top. Even with the oem nuts, this problem won't be resolved.

I was addressing two separate issues for you.

First issue and possible solution, the anti roll bar is free to rotate so you should be able to get both links attached without any issues. If you need help, jack up one side at a time using a jack under the lower ball joint(a small piece of 2x4 may help here so you don't marred the aluminum arms or joints) until you can get the ARB bracket to lined up against the endlink. Repeat the same procedure on the other side.

Second issue is the use of just regular nyloc and washer, the camber plates can potentially move around since the nylocs aren't fully engaged and can loosen over time. Use oem shoulder nuts for a better and more secure fit.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 08:16 AM   #5
bklounge
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
I was addressing two separate issues for you.

First issue and possible solution, the anti roll bar is free to rotate so you should be able to get both links attached without any issues. If you need help, jack up one side at a time using a jack under the lower ball joint(a small piece of 2x4 may help here so you don't marred the aluminum arms or joints) until you can get the ARB bracket to lined up against the endlink. Repeat the same procedure on the other side.

Second issue is the use of just regular nyloc and washer, the camber plates can potentially move around since the nylocs aren't fully engaged and can loosen over time. Use oem shoulder nuts for a better and more secure fit.
Okay, thanks Harald - this makes sense. One last thing: can I change the shoulder bolt while the strut is installed as long as the 3 ground control nuts are in place?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 10:20 AM   #6
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklounge View Post
Okay, thanks Harald - this makes sense. One last thing: can I change the shoulder bolt while the strut is installed as long as the 3 ground control nuts are in place?
Do it one at a time so the strut doesn't fall away from the tower.
Appreciate 0