BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-04-2020, 01:52 PM   #1
oldman_stew
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 128i

Halogen/LED compatibility - reverse lights

Hello all

Recently picked up a 128i and loving it. TBH, it feels like a modernized version of my m50 E30 which is really fun.

So my question is regarding the plug and play compatibility of LED lights in the taillights. The one immediate problem Ive noticed is that I cant see anything when backing up in the dark and am hoping some REALLY bright reverse lights might help with this. The dark tint the previous owner installed doesnt help, but even when I pop the door open to look I cant see much.

So any recommendations/advice is much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 11:17 PM   #2
TM9030
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

I was using LED bulbs for my reverse lights before I switched over to black lines. It helped a lot! I was able to see what was behind me.

The only downside is that they would flicker randomly. I think that can be coded out though.

I still have them if you want them.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 01:21 PM   #3
oldman_stew
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM9030 View Post
I was using LED bulbs for my reverse lights before I switched over to black lines. It helped a lot! I was able to see what was behind me.

The only downside is that they would flicker randomly. I think that can be coded out though.

Good to hear. As long as I can code out any compatibility issues that's good.

Phillips has an LED and a crystal vision Halogen bulb on rock auto. Might get both and use whichever seems brightest!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 07:53 AM   #4
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman_stew View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TM9030 View Post

Good to hear. As long as I can code out any compatibility issues that's good.

Phillips has an LED and a crystal vision Halogen bulb on rock auto. Might get both and use whichever seems brightest!
I used these ones, theyre a lot brighter than stock ones and come with a lifetime warranty

https://www.ebay.com/itm/172906310802

I haven't noticed any flickering and haven't gotten an error on my car in the 6+ months I've had them.

It's worth mentioning that I'm never behind the car to see any flickering as well, but I also have spray tinted tails and I can see much better.
Appreciate 0