BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-02-2019, 04:12 PM   #23
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
1999 Lexus LS400  [0.00]
1985 BMW 325e  [0.00]
Don't deal with Autonation. In my experience, their used car inventory is comprised of the lower end of the spectrum. I've yet to see someone buy even a reasonably clean used car from any of their dealerships.

2012 BMW 135i Space Grey Metallic M-Sport DCT Dinan S2
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 04:58 PM   #24
Moveitsmikey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i M-SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
Don't deal with Autonation. In my experience, their used car inventory is comprised of the lower end of the spectrum. I've yet to see someone buy even a reasonably clean used car from any of their dealerships.
The last car I bought from autonation that I traded in was in way better condition
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 06:59 AM   #25
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M-Sport

Question Do you expect God to negotiate your deals?

Quote:
I don't know what the OP or anyone else is complaining about regarding Autonation. The company did all the repairs on his ride to the tune of $8,000. Sounds like a damn fine outfit if they stand behind their warranty.

Also a PPI is the responsibility of the buyer to order. And what does a Toyota dealer know about BMWs? Toyotas never break down, so their mechanics spend most of their days playing card. LOL

When you buy a car, all the important details of the negotiation fall on the buyer. That means getting the car inspected, figuring out how you are going to pay for it, negotiating the best price, and negotiating the terms of the warranty. About all the dealer does is keep a greasy grin on his face hoping the deal doesn't fall through and you take this pile of iron off his lot!

After you buy it, it is up to you to take care of any issues it has. A warranty doesn't mean you can just drop it off at the dealer for repairs. Likely you are going to have problems getting it fixed, because the dealer won't be anxious to repair it. Did you fully understand what the warranty covered?

What many of you don't understand is the deal on any car new or used is a blank sheet of paper. It's up to you to fill it out. Buying anything involves the pretty much the same process as buying a car. Always keep in the back of your mind the words Caveat Emptor.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2019, 11:28 AM   #26
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife nuts 128i 6m

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowsdower View Post
Did you ask?

... It’s pretty rare someone trades a great driving car with no problems for a boring ass Toyota. It should have been expected that something was wrong, you just don’t know specifically what without the PPI.
That logic qualifies for a Darwin award. It proves that people who drives minivans always drove minivans, and people who drive a sport coupe only owned and will own sport coupes. Yep, life is linear.
      03-03-2019, 03:16 PM   #27
rowsdower
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommm View Post
That logic qualifies for a Darwin award. It proves that people who drives minivans always drove minivans, and people who drive a sport coupe only owned and will own sport coupes. Yep, life is linear.
That's a fair point and I agree that people sell sport coupes for minivans every day because life changes. But someone driving a 135i that isn't giving him/her a headache would probably trade it on an X5 or something like that if they needed more space. If someone is trading a German car for a Toyota, it's usually because the German car has been giving them problems. That's not always true but probably a fair assumption, enough to warrant a PPI.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2019, 06:59 PM   #28
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowsdower View Post
That's a fair point and I agree that people sell sport coupes for minivans every day because life changes. But someone driving a 135i that isn't giving him/her a headache would probably trade it on an X5 or something like that if they needed more space. If someone is trading a German car for a Toyota, it's usually because the German car has been giving them problems. That's not always true but probably a fair assumption, enough to warrant a PPI.
I doubt you have kids. Cleaning puke in a $400 a month leased Toyota minivan is easier than cleaning puke in a $700 a month leased or owned BMW. I know many people who traded their German cars for Japanese. I was one of them.

When I took the rear seat out of the XC90 to clean under it we laughed at the school of goldfish dancing around the cheerios on the carpet, and regurgitated chocolate milk in the crevices of the slider. We laughed because we bought the car used. Our friends with new minivans laughed at us because they can clean that shit up without taking out the seats. They don't care about 0-60. They care about getting home without complications, and supposedly cheaper repair bills. Reality man, reality.
Those droppings never made their way into my daily driver 944, or GTO because we had the kidmobile. I was lucky I could, and still have fun daily drivers with one kid. I probably would have traded the fun cars in if we had another, or if I married someone who isn't as cool with me and my car fetishes.

Last edited by Tommm; 03-03-2019 at 07:05 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2019, 07:08 PM   #29
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep

I read the original post, but didnt take notes on what was replaced.

What I gathered is $8,000 was spent doing and redoing work because a job that should have been about $1,500 was misdiagnosed. This isn't a PPI issue. This is an example of incompetence, and the result of that incompetence is lost work for the OP, and thousands of wasted dollars by the people who stood behind what they sold.
      03-03-2019, 11:25 PM   #30
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

I've bought some used BMWs and a used Porsche (996 TT, which I still own) and rather than turning this into some sort of blame game and gotcha discussion, I think it is more important to look forward instead of in the rear view mirror, and to learn from the inevitable mistakes one is likely to make buying this sort of a used car (as opposed to something else you are buying for basic transportation).

Like many things, there is a learning curve to this sort of a purchase. There is much to learn and before you learn it you just might have to take it on the chin, for the team. I've taken one for the team, twice now, and neither time was pleasant. You need to chalk this sort of thing up as a learning experience, which is better than hanging yourself in the closet.

None of this makes you an idiot or a victim, it's just part of the game, and you can play the game a bunch of different ways, just know what game you are playing.

Bottom line, for this sort of purchase of a German car that was once worth something and is now worth much less, you have to realize that repairs on the car could put you into the poor house, so it isn't just the price of the car. If you can get a car that still has some warranty left, that diminishes the risk, somewhat, however if the seller of the car modified it, which they might or might not tell you about, the warranty could have been or later will be, discovered to have been voided. This is not a poor man's parlor game.

My own opinion with an out of warranty German performance car like a 1-Series, or most any Porsche, is that you have to buy the seller more than you buy the car. You want a seller who is so anal that you can barely talk to him on the phone and you can't understand how anyone in his or her family can tolerate to live with him or her. This sort of owner will fix everything that is wrong with their car because they just can't tolerate having a car that has something wrong with it. These sorts of owners do exist (I'm basically one, however hopefully less anal). The other option is finding a car that is a single owner car where the owner for whatever reason can no longer comfortably drive it. My 2000 Z3M coupe fit that discription; the original owner had gained some weight, had arthritis, couldn't bear to sell it but also could no longer get into it, and finally decided to sell.

Even with a good used BMW (or Porsche), budget several thousand dollars for unanticipated repairs, and expect to spend it. And that's for a good used car, not a disaster like the car the OP bought.

Otherwise, you can get out your paint gauge and you can get your CarFax and you can do all those other things you can read everywhere that you should do with a used car, but with this sort of car you are really still taking a really big risk, and your cheap used old German car could become a nightmare in the making, at this point in its life (at least 6 years old for a 1 Series used car, in 2019).
      03-03-2019, 11:28 PM   #31
Moveitsmikey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i M-SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Jose View Post
Quote:
I don't know what the OP or anyone else is complaining about regarding Autonation. The company did all the repairs on his ride to the tune of $8,000. Sounds like a damn fine outfit if they stand behind their warranty.

Also a PPI is the responsibility of the buyer to order. And what does a Toyota dealer know about BMWs? Toyotas never break down, so their mechanics spend most of their days playing card. LOL

When you buy a car, all the important details of the negotiation fall on the buyer. That means getting the car inspected, figuring out how you are going to pay for it, negotiating the best price, and negotiating the terms of the warranty. About all the dealer does is keep a greasy grin on his face hoping the deal doesn't fall through and you take this pile of iron off his lot!

After you buy it, it is up to you to take care of any issues it has. A warranty doesn't mean you can just drop it off at the dealer for repairs. Likely you are going to have problems getting it fixed, because the dealer won't be anxious to repair it. Did you fully understand what the warranty covered?

What many of you don't understand is the deal on any car new or used is a blank sheet of paper. It's up to you to fill it out. Buying anything involves the pretty much the same process as buying a car. Always keep in the back of your mind the words Caveat Emptor.
I knew what the warranty covered it's everything except for wear items. Tires or brakes etc
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 08:42 AM   #32
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moveitsmikey View Post
I knew what the warranty covered it's everything except for wear items. Tires or brakes etc
BTW, I ran a scan on my One Sunday with my Multi-System Car Diagnostic Tool BMM V2.0 from ICarsoft. It checks a 100 modules with a dozen or so in the DCT. Anyway, it gives the temperature of the unit, so it would be possible for an owner to service it.
Appreciate 0