BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-02-2009, 04:31 PM   #1
bigmicj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i + M240iX

Autocross this weekend

I was just curious if anyone here was going to the BMW CCLA autocross this weekend at California Speedway?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 08:50 PM   #2
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2006 MINI Cooper S GP  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
2008 E82  [0.00]
Hey hey bigmicj,

I WAS going to go, but one of the films I am working on needs to come back in over the holiday weekend for additional editorial. So, I won't be there to run or coach...MAJOR BUMMER!!!! I was planning to go, and also participate in the TSD rally on saturday. But, oh well, work commitments...gotta pay for my 1er n' all...

Have fun out there, and please post pics when you get back.
      09-04-2009, 10:30 AM   #3
aisthetes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Competition

I'm registered. It'll be my first shakedown with the 1, stock run flats included!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 02:38 PM   #4
bigmicj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Cool, I'll be there with my mostly stock 128. Are you doing the rally too?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 02:40 PM   #5
bigmicj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbook View Post
Hey hey bigmicj,

I WAS going to go, but one of the films I am working on needs to come back in over the holiday weekend for additional editorial. So, I won't be there to run or coach...MAJOR BUMMER!!!! I was planning to go, and also participate in the TSD rally on saturday. But, oh well, work commitments...gotta pay for my 1er n' all...

Have fun out there, and please post pics when you get back.
Will do! Work is work, I totally understand. Are you an editor? I know that's a job that NEVER ends until the film has gone to print.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 02:48 PM   #6
aisthetes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmicj View Post
Cool, I'll be there with my mostly stock 128. Are you doing the rally too?
No, just the auto-x on Sunday. See you there.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 05:13 PM   #7
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Anyone had trouble registering? I click on register and it says the car is already registered but I dont see myself on the list.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 05:22 PM   #8
aisthetes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Mine didn't go through at first because the car number I chose was already taken. Once I picked a new one, it went through without issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 05:53 PM   #9
former
Practical Idealist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Coupe

That was some good fun! I couldn't stay the whole day due to exhaustion and other commitments but I was able to get two runs in before leaving. The 135 did very well through a unique and challenging course whose slalom design, I still don't fully comprehend.

Met some nice folks including, I think the OP and a few M3 and 335 owners. It was a well run and well organized event. Kudos to BMW CCA - LA Chapter!

The iPhone isn't really a good device for these events, but a couple of pictures came out ok.

09-07-2009, 09:19 AM   #10
aisthetes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I had a great time at my first BMW CCA auto-x. The 135i is a pretty phenomenal package from the factory, but the stock run flats gave me serious traction problems, particularly during the timed runs in the heat of the afternoon. The tires live up to their reputation as being heavy, hard and greasy. Still, the car performed well, and I was surprised to take 2nd in class. The best part was showing up most of the M cars out there.

I wanted to introduce myself to you guys, but it seemed we were always racing or working at different times. Hope to have the chance next time.

Final results are up:
https://axwaresystems.com/axorm/clubinfo_main.php
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 10:03 AM   #11
former
Practical Idealist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisthetes View Post
I had a great time at my first BMW CCA auto-x. The 135i is a pretty phenomenal package from the factory, but the stock run flats gave me serious traction problems, particularly during the timed runs in the heat of the afternoon. The tires live up to their reputation as being heavy, hard and greasy. Still, the car performed well, and I was surprised to take 2nd in class. The best part was showing up most of the M cars out there.

I wanted to introduce myself to you guys, but it seemed we were always racing or working at different times. Hope to have the chance next time.

Final results are up:
https://axwaresystems.com/axorm/clubinfo_main.php
Agreed on pretty much all counts. One thing that I did note is that while the understeer is fairly pronounced once you start to push it, the car does communicate quite well that you are starting to get up to the edge. I think the chassis is capable of quite a bit more performance with a merely a better tire setup.

As I was working the course and watching all the vehicles, I felt like the 1 series got through some of the technical switch back areas much more efficiently than the larger cars - we're just more agile.

I'm sorry we didn't get a chance to meet as well, but I did get to see you drive as I was working the course when you were driving.
      09-09-2009, 08:27 AM   #12
aisthetes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, I didn't get to work your run group, which also had bigmicj's 128i, so I couldn't get a detailed view of the 1's agility in action. I was hoping you'd stay for the timed runs, as you were my only true performance benchmark out there - especially since you were also on runflats!

You're right, with a proper set of tires alone, the car will be formidable. Add in suspension and neg front camber, and it'll be a little beast. Maybe once more of us start setting up our 1s for competition and using them actively, the car will gain a new level of respect from the BMW crowd. Right now, I get the sense that it's still a bit underrated.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 01:25 PM   #13
bigmicj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, I didn't get to work your run group, which also had bigmicj's 128i, so I couldn't get a detailed view of the 1's agility in action. I was hoping you'd stay for the timed runs, as you were my only true performance benchmark out there - especially since you were also on runflats!

You're right, with a proper set of tires alone, the car will be formidable. Add in suspension and neg front camber, and it'll be a little beast. Maybe once more of us start setting up our 1s for competition and using them actively, the car will gain a new level of respect from the BMW crowd. Right now, I get the sense that it's still a bit underrated.
Hey guys, I was glad to see the 1er's represented there. Aisthetes I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you. I walked over to say hello, but I think you were working the course.

I couldn't agree more with you in regard to the runflats. When others on the board talked about how bad they were, I just didn't get it. For daily street use they seemed fine to me. This weekend was quite the eye opener though. On my second timed lap, I turned off the traction control and lost the backend on the second turn. It felt like my car was constantly trying to find grip through the rest of the course.

Biggest lesson learned - I need different tires. My thrid run was pretty bad as I hit a cone and went off course, stopped and had to back up to get back on track Even so, I had a BLAST at my first autocross and will definitely be attending more in the future

I'll post some pics my wife took a little later.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 08:10 AM   #14
aisthetes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yep, I also experienced heavy understeer in the tight, technical sections and oversteer putting the power down in faster segments. My front tires in particular are pretty trashed.

The car was loose overall, but still quick. I ran with all traction control off (hold button down 5+ sec), which makes car control challenging, but ultimately faster in a competition environment where slip angles under acceleration are a good thing.

Looking forward to seeing your pics.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 11:51 AM   #15
bigmicj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The car was loose overall, but still quick. I ran with all traction control off (hold button down 5+ sec), which makes car control challenging, but ultimately faster in a competition environment where slip angles under acceleration are a good thing.

Looking forward to seeing your pics.
Hey there, I just posted the pics in the Photos section. Here's the thread:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300593
Appreciate 0