BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-28-2011, 10:22 PM   #1
1FAST1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

HELP!!!! Codes and dealer saying its bad gas. HELP!!!!!!

Ok so i filled up the car on friday november 25th. The car drove fine all that day I did have about 40 miles before empty in the tank still.

Saturday i wake up go to start the car and get the ses light.The rpm's run from around 800 up to about 2k and then back down and feels like the car is dying. The car is shaking and has white smoke coming out of the exhaust. I get the codes read and its 29cd 29cf and 29cc. Basically misfiring cylinder 1 and 3 and several. The ses light goes off and the car drives normal.

Sunday I go out to start the car the light comes back on and the car shakes violently and an abundance of white smokes comes from the exhaust. I still have the same codes.

Monday suck it up and drive the car to BMW about a 5 minute ride maybe. Car is shaking at the lights and i have to press the accelorator while braking just to keep it from dying. Also a good bit of white smoke. I go back to Bmw around 1:30 or so after i recieve a call from the service advisor saying the car has bad gas in it. I drive there and he explains whats goin on so i acompany him to the service shop area and the tech tells me what is goin on. They show me gas in a bottle that they say came from my car and that the bad gas was the problem.

The following is what needs to be replaced according to the tech and advisor:
i have part no. if needed
repair kit ( no idea what that is )(#16-14-7-163-298)
hose clamp
Repair kit (#16-14-7-163-296)
Hose clamp
Exchange H core Exchange
ASA bolt
Sensor
Injectors
Decoupling
fuel induction service and additive

The description of zed parts
Fuel pump
Fuel Filter with regulator
Drain and refill fuel tank
High pressure pump
Low pressure sensor
Injectors
Crush rings

Now with all that being said why would gas only cause one side of the banks or 1, 3, and 5 to be misfiring? Am I getting the run around because the dealership does not want to deal with the warranty issue at hand which from what i read is still a problem as far as injectors and misfiring?

Any advice would be great. Also the advisor said that faulty gas is not covered under warranty as it is something i put in the car. As if i actually knew the gas was bad and said sure let me use this instead of what is over there. Is this actually legitimate?

Thanks
Jimmy
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 11:20 PM   #2
sear
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FAST1 View Post
Ok so i filled up the car on friday november 25th. The car drove fine all that day I did have about 40 miles before empty in the tank still.

Saturday i wake up go to start the car and get the ses light.The rpm's run from around 800 up to about 2k and then back down and feels like the car is dying. The car is shaking and has white smoke coming out of the exhaust. I get the codes read and its 29cd 29cf and 29cc. Basically misfiring cylinder 1 and 3 and several. The ses light goes off and the car drives normal.

Sunday I go out to start the car the light comes back on and the car shakes violently and an abundance of white smokes comes from the exhaust. I still have the same codes.

Monday suck it up and drive the car to BMW about a 5 minute ride maybe. Car is shaking at the lights and i have to press the accelorator while braking just to keep it from dying. Also a good bit of white smoke. I go back to Bmw around 1:30 or so after i recieve a call from the service advisor saying the car has bad gas in it. I drive there and he explains whats goin on so i acompany him to the service shop area and the tech tells me what is goin on. They show me gas in a bottle that they say came from my car and that the bad gas was the problem.

The following is what needs to be replaced according to the tech and advisor:
i have part no. if needed
repair kit ( no idea what that is )(#16-14-7-163-298)
hose clamp
Repair kit (#16-14-7-163-296)
Hose clamp
Exchange H core Exchange
ASA bolt
Sensor
Injectors
Decoupling
fuel induction service and additive

The description of zed parts
Fuel pump
Fuel Filter with regulator
Drain and refill fuel tank
High pressure pump
Low pressure sensor
Injectors
Crush rings

Now with all that being said why would gas only cause one side of the banks or 1, 3, and 5 to be misfiring? Am I getting the run around because the dealership does not want to deal with the warranty issue at hand which from what i read is still a problem as far as injectors and misfiring?

Any advice would be great. Also the advisor said that faulty gas is not covered under warranty as it is something i put in the car. As if i actually knew the gas was bad and said sure let me use this instead of what is over there. Is this actually legitimate?

Thanks
Jimmy
It is possible. Did the dealer keep the gas sample for you? If it really was bad gas, you can go after the gas station for the damages. Its not likely to be a cake walk, but possible to get the gas station to claim to their insurance. Clearly having the gas sample and a receipt for the purchase is a must. If you have the proof, contact the gas station manager ASAP. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 11:47 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Time to contact your insurance company. Let them go after that gas station.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 11:55 PM   #4
Turbolader
The Fat Stig
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Bad gas isn't going to ruin anything unless:
1. You were pinging heavily due to boost or timing.
2. Somehow the gas had so much debris in it, it clogged the 'sock' which is usually attached to the intake of the in-tank pump

Before you do anything, I would do the following:

1. Throw in a few bottles of drygas, since the gas is probably just got some water in it.

2. If that didn't work, you could also empty the gas out of the tank. Easier said than done, but typically people short the fuel pump relay (turning the pump on) and disconnect the fuel line from the pump and essentially use the pump to pump out the bad gas. Note, you do NOT want to run the pump dry (It can kill the pump) so you can't get it all out, but you can certainly get most of it out that way. You probably cannot siphon it out because most new systems have anti-siphon valves.

I haven't driven my car in almost two weeks and let it sit in my garage with about 3/8 of a tank. Not normally a problem where I live because it doesn't get too cold, but today it did idle like crap. I promptly filled the tank with Chevron (My normal fuel of choice) and it hasn't given me any more problems. Remember cold temps + low fuel levels = condensation.

good luck!
      11-29-2011, 01:20 AM   #5
1FAST1
Private
United_States
Rep

I did see what they said came out the car ina bottle in the service shop and it was basically clear almost with a little tint to it smelled like gas though. My insurance said that its not something they deal with as far as price on cars getting bad fuel so that wasn't a big help but im gonna get intouch with the station tomorrow and call to see if they had complaints on others besides me.

Thanks for the input as well
Jimmy
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 11:01 AM   #6
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Look at the lengthy part list that your BMW dealer wanted to replace. Bad gas should not cause this much problems. In most cases, the car will restart without any problem. If the same problem persisted, then most likely that you have to replace the HPFP and injectors.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 01:18 PM   #7
sear
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Quote:
I did see what they said came out the car ina bottle in the service shop and it was basically clear almost with a little tint to it smelled like gas though. My insurance said that its not something they deal with as far as price on cars getting bad fuel so that wasn't a big help but im gonna get intouch with the station tomorrow and call to see if they had complaints on others besides me.

Jimmy
OP, certainly many root causes are possible for the issues you are seeing. Despite what others may think. Bad gas can cause this kind of damage. Its clearly no guarentee, but you really have nothing to loose other than a little time to contact the manager of the gas station and let them know what went wrong and when you were there for gas. I had a similar thing happen with my S4 a few years ago and as it turned out the gas station was aware of the fact that the tanker truck driver forgot to put the cap on the tanke after a fill and we got 1-2in of rain at the same time. The gas station's insurance (not mine) covered the damages.

It may be a long shot not knowing all your circumstances, but worth trying. Regardless of how likely the bad gas was/was not to be the cause of these damages, your likely only other option is to open your wallet for the full repair... Good luck
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 08:41 PM   #8
slim_e90
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM E-88

OP
Sorry to hear. My suggestion would be to get a written report from the BMW dealer on the root cause as per their claim of bad gas the repair estimate the receipt from your last fillup and send a package of all three items with a written letter to the gas station owner (with a copy to the dealership svc mgr).

In these circumstances I would avoid calling and asking if they had other complaints. Just keep track of all the details and communications.

The gas station should have insurance to support your claim.

Goodluck.

|move over... please|
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 11:32 PM   #9
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Just a recommendation; skip the gas station and contact Corporate. We have a gas station in my neighborhood with leaky tanks. Water gets into the tanks and settles since the specific gravity is higher than gas, but once the tank gets low on gas the water is pumped into the car. We have had several neighbors with broken down cars over the last couple of years...many have written letters and called Corporate and have been reimbursed for the repairs. The gas station owner refused to do anything. Mobile actually bought the station earlier this year from Marathon, but did not replace the in-ground tanks, and another neighbor had the same problem with water in their engine just last week after filling up. She must have thought it was safe since Mobile purchased the station. Good luck.

Not certain, but maybe Mobile and Marathon are the same company. So, they at least tried to change the name and marquee of the station in addition to upgrading the pumps.

Quote:

Jimmy

BMWCCA member

Last edited by ken1137; 11-30-2011 at 11:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 12:43 AM   #10
Pangloss
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Convertible

That's happened to me before, and it really bugs me. Cheaper to reimburse the few owners that come forward than to replace the underground tanks I guess. Never mind the massive inconvenience to the car owner, not to mention the could-that-really-be-it hand-wringing, as well as the what-did-you-do-to-this-car glares from mechanics that come along for the ride.

I heard once from a local building/code inspector that replacing underground tanks can be a local ordinance nightmare. Might have something to do with it. I know it's an awful drag trying to buy a property that used to be a gas station -- understandable, but not fun.

Could be worse. My wife once pulled into the driveway with an inch-wide trail of GASOLINE on the ground leading from where it was gushing out from under her car all the way back to a neighborhood tire reseller. She'd just gotten new tires and their lift had cut right through the fuel line. I was just glad I didn't see a sheet of flame coming up the driveway behind her.
      12-02-2011, 09:53 AM   #11
1FAST1
Private
United_States
Rep

I have contacted corpo and they now know whats goin on also my insurance has gotten involved and sent an adjuster out yesterday. However the adjuster seems to be telling bmw that only certain things need to be adressed and that list was now cut down to the minimum. I guess i will see how that goes and if something goes wrong again i will be back in the shop for something i had no control over.

Thanks for all the advice yall.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 10:00 PM   #12
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

heres the issue that you run in to...what may not be damaged now..may have some sort of long term damage from the bad gas-IE the high pressure pump, low pressure pump, etc. likely its just water in the gas which may or may not have shortened the life of your low pressure pump, high pressure pump, injectors, or who knows if it was water-or some other contaminant which may look like water when they separate with the fuel? Its called CYA-if for some reason things arent replaced and you at maybe 65k or whatever and are out of warranty and you have an injector issue or lean mixture caused by a failing fuel pump-wouldn't you revert back to this instance possibly causing the premature failure? And then wouldn't you(or someone else for that matter) place the blame on whoever was the person who looked at your car? Just saying guys...
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 03:25 PM   #13
1FAST1
Private
United_States
Rep

Just a update. Car is still at the dealership and after the first set of repairs suggested by the insurance company the car was still acting up. There was a supplemental filed and then fixed as well . The car is still there as of today after a test drive with the cel comming on again. The dealership will get intouch with the insurance again and I will continue to wait. Definitely missing the hell out the car right now as i have parts to put on and parts on the way as well. Will post what the final outcome of this and all parts that were replaced once i get the car back.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 06:47 PM   #14
Broken135i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Black 6 Speed

Sooooo
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 12:38 PM   #15
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M-Sport

First this is BS! How does the dealer know the gas is bad? Did they perform some sort of chemical test? Maybe they took a swig of it? Also what kind of gas station did you get the gas from? Check with them to see if they got other complaints.

I'm looking at that list of parts, they are going to cost you a fortune. BTW, what kind of warranty do you have?

You should really own a scanner like the ICarsoft BMM V2.0. It can diagnose a lot of stuff for you.

I agree it's a fuel problem and more likely an injector. I had number 2 go out, and my scanner read multiple misfires on 2 and others.

What I see here is the dealer throwing a bunch of parts at the problem knowing it will fix it but not exactly identifying what the problem is.

It's your money, and I hope you have a lot of it. In my case, I'd call this bozo out and make him prove his diagnosis. Get a sample of that gas too. You have a lot of options:

Lawyer
BMW
Another dealer - for sure for a second opinion
An independent, some one with a good reputation
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 03:48 PM   #16
shaimasalam
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Just a update. Car is still at the dealership and after the first set of repairs suggested by the insurance company the car was still acting up. There was a supplemental filed and then fixed as well . The car is still there as of today after a test drive with the cel comming on again. The dealership will get intouch with the insurance again and I will continue to wait. Definitely missing the hell out the car right now as i have parts to put on and parts on the way as well. Will post what the final outcome of this and all parts that were replaced once i get the car back.
I am having the same issue with my 2019 BMW X3. How did your insurance get involved? I have comprehensive coverage with GEICO.
Appreciate 0