BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-24-2008, 10:27 AM   #23
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzy4135i View Post
BMW allegedly uses an AGM battery for that reason.
BMW's AGM batteries are black.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 11:18 AM   #24
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep
Drives: 1-series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dragon View Post
BMW's AGM batteries are black.
Conforming to BMW’s Efficient Dynamics, these vehicles will include the following:
• Brake Energy Regeneration - The system increases the demand on the charging system under braking thus charging the battery when the vehicle is reducing speed which results in saving fuel.
BER requires an intelligent battery sensor (IBS) on the negative terminal of the car battery and a communication interface on the alternator. In addition, vehicles with IGR use only AGM gel batteries that can withstand the large number of charge cycles. When servicing it is important to ensure that only that type of battery is fitted.
      08-24-2008, 12:51 PM   #25
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

can someone explain regen brakes on the us 1's? Is how does it work, alternator ?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 01:42 PM   #26
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega View Post
can someone explain regen brakes on the us 1's? Is how does it work, alternator ?
Intelligent Alternator Control (IGR)
Intelligent Alternator Control (IGR) is also referred to as Brake Energy Regeneration (BER) in the customer documentation.
This new function of IGR, utilizes the previously unused kinetic energy produced in overrun or deceleration mode to drive the alternator. IGR generates the necessary electrical current demanded by the vehicle’s electrical system without having to use engine power, which translates to better fuel economy and less tail pipe emissions overall. In contrast to conventional power management systems, the battery must not be fully charged at all times but rather should maintain a charge level that is within certain limits. A fully charged battery cannot accept any more charge. When the driver lifts off the accelerator pedal and steps on the brake the system uses that otherwise wasted kinetic energy generated as the vehicle is stopped to replenish the
battery state of charge. Ultimately as the driver applies the gas pedal the charging system is disabled to render the engines maximum power. IGR requires an intelligent battery sensor (IBS) on the negative terminal of the car battery and a communication interface on the alternator. In addition, vehicles with IGR use only
AGM gel batteries that can withstand the large number of charge cycles. When servicing it is important to ensure that only that type of battery is fitted.
      08-24-2008, 02:05 PM   #27
Jack in Jax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pearson 424 Ketch

Battery chemistry (AGM vs. normal wet cell) isn't the only factor affecting battery life. IME the primary factor is the discharge rate vs. battery capacity: if you draw out a higher percentage of the battery's total capacity with each use, you kill it faster. IOW for a given car's aux DC load and a given driving style, the discharge rate will be consuming a higher percentage of the total capacity available in a smaller battery vs. a larger one. Now add in the fact that any battery's total available capacity inevitably drops incrementally over time, and you can see the second problem with a smaller battery: smaller capacity to begin with, diminished further by use over time, guarantees a deeper & deeper discharge for a given car and driving style.

The whole equation is a downward spiral: go smaller, kill it sooner, replace it more often and - if you live in a seasonal climate - expect to be surprised more often by a dead start.

Jack
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 03:46 PM   #28
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

if seen the tech docs but nothing to confirm the us 1's have regen braking, or any adds stating it
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 09:41 PM   #29
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
if seen the tech docs but nothing to confirm the us 1's have regen braking, or any adds stating it
How many cars do you see with the big control box and a bunch of extra wires on the battery?

Banner batteries makes an AGM battery that has the green sight glass that I thought only came on standard batteries.

http://www.bannerbatterien.com/banne...atterienGB.pdf

Here's the info saying Banner supplies batteries to BMW, although I don't see a white battery on their website.

http://www.bannerbatterien.com/banne...GB29052007.pdf
      08-25-2008, 02:18 AM   #30
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

I know a couple people that have done the racing battery swap and made custom mounts. One of which did it in a M coupe. The only problem they came across was if they didn't drive the car for a long period, they would have to jump start the car. Not driving it for a week would easily drain the battery.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 05:27 PM   #31
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzy4135i View Post
How many cars do you see with the big control box and a bunch of extra wires on the battery?

Banner batteries makes an AGM battery that has the green sight glass that I thought only came on standard batteries.

http://www.bannerbatterien.com/banne...atterienGB.pdf

Here's the info saying Banner supplies batteries to BMW, although I don't see a white battery on their website.

http://www.bannerbatterien.com/banne...GB29052007.pdf
I thought that box on the battery is the breakaway device, it blows the connection in the event of an accident

but I may be wrong

also I'm assuming regen brakes only work if you leave the car in gear while you brake, I never do that, maybe I should re learn how I slow down

does anyone know if regen brakes will lower the life of the serpentine belt?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2008, 02:56 PM   #32
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I thought that box on the battery is the breakaway device, it blows the connection in the event of an accident

but I may be wrong

also I'm assuming regen brakes only work if you leave the car in gear while you brake, I never do that, maybe I should re learn how I slow down

does anyone know if regen brakes will lower the life of the serpentine belt?
I think the idea is to use engine braking to slow the car. That way the kinetic energy of the car that is normally turned into heat by the brakes can instead be used to generate electricity, that is stored back in the battery.

Of course, you have to press the clutch in while braking hard but it would help to engine brake as much as possible, such as when you're on the highway and want to gradually reduce your speed.

When I'm coming up to a light I try to let off the gas and let the engine slow the car, then hit the brakes when the rpms get too low or I'm coming up behind another car, etc.

I wouldn't worry about the serpentine belt.

BTW, I think "regen brakes" gives people the wrong idea. THe brakes aren't regenerating anything besides heat. We should be calling it "regenerative engine braking."
      08-28-2008, 03:03 PM   #33
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I will say I got a warning message that said something like, "battery charging error." The pc925 battery was charged when I installed it so I wonder if it displayed that error because the battery was too small? I'm not sure..
      08-28-2008, 04:02 PM   #34
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

I've heard all about these "mild hybrid" features of the 1, but if it has all these things, why is my fuel economy so bad!?
      08-28-2008, 04:04 PM   #35
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gio View Post
I've heard all about these "mild hybrid" features of the 1, but if it has all these things, why is my fuel economy so bad!?
As a fortune cookie would say, "For the answers you seek.. look down at your right foot!"
      08-28-2008, 06:30 PM   #36
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep

None of the current 1-series (or any BMW that i know of) have any dynamic efficiency features.

The big box on the battery is just the rear fuse holder.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2008, 07:57 PM   #37
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
None of the current 1-series (or any BMW that i know of) have any dynamic efficiency features.

The big box on the battery is just the rear fuse holder.
This is straight out of the US Owners Manual & Training Information & Technical Details (page 27):

"Intelligent Alternator Control (IGR)Intelligent Alternator Control (IGR) is also referred to as Brake Energy Regeneration (BER) in the customer documentation.This new function of IGR, utilizes the previously unused kinetic energy produced in overrun or deceleration mode to drive the alternator. IGR generates the necessary electrical current demanded by the vehicle’s electrical system without having to use engine power, which translates to better fuel economy and less tail pipe emissions overall. In contrast to conventional power management systems, the battery must not be fully charged at all times but rather should maintain a charge level that is within certain limits. A fully charged battery cannot accept any more charge. When the driver lifts off the accelerator pedal and steps on the brake the system uses that otherwise wasted kinetic energy generated as the vehicle is stopped to replenish the battery state of charge. Ultimately as the driver applies the gas pedal the charging system is disabled to render the engines maximum power. IGR requires an intelligent battery sensor (IBS) on the negative terminal of the car battery and a communication interface on the alternator. In addition, vehicles with IGR use only AGM gel batteries that can withstand the large number of charge cycles. When servicing it is important to ensure that only that type of battery is fitted."

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4301
      08-28-2008, 07:59 PM   #38
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep

As is this:
Conforming to BMW’s Efficient Dynamics, these vehicles will include the following:

• Brake Energy Regeneration - The system increases the demand on the charging
system under braking thus charging the battery when the vehicle is
reducing speed which results in saving fuel. (see page 27)
• Very light but rigid bodyshell.
• Aluminum front axle with lightweight components like hollow anti-roll bars.
• Run Flat Tires as standard eliminates the weight of a spare tire and jack.
      08-28-2008, 08:40 PM   #39
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep

The training manual that is posted on the boards is wrong. The manual on centernet has no mention of IGR. Go look in your trunk. It's a normal 90Ah battery.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 07:47 AM   #40
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The training manual that is posted on the boards is wrong. The manual on centernet has no mention of IGR. Go look in your trunk. It's a normal 90Ah battery.
If you haven't noticed.. I already looked in my trunk. That's why I said "I'm confused" in an eariler post (see above). The stock battery does look like a standard battery with fill ports, etc. You can see them under the battery stickers, in the picture I posted above.

I would love for the manual to be wrong. If the car doesn't have IR I could run the odyssey battery.:biggrin: