BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-15-2008, 05:52 PM   #1
Xii
Private
Rep
Drives:

Active Steering & BMW Assist Questions

Hey guys maybe you can help me out,

I talked to the dealer this afternoon about pricing out my 135i and since I wanted to get the sports package he strongly recomended I get the Active Steering as well. Since the price is already getting a bit steep I was wondering if i really need it. Does anyone have any information about what exactly this does, and is it really neccesary for the car in your opinion? Not sure if its worth the extra $1400 on an already light car.

Also, BMW Assist = BMW's version of OnStar right? And is it a one time fee or is there a subscription involved?

Thanks a bunch I hope to get my 135 locked up by the end of the month. :w00t:
Upcoming Mods: Window Tint, Quad Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 05:58 PM   #2
AwesomeBMW
Freude am Fahren
Rep
Drives:

active steering just varies the ratio so you don't have to kep turning the wheel when parallel parking and such. google it and plenty of people will give you their reviews. some say it reduces the steering feel. The best option would be to test drive one for yourself. PErsonally, I cna sterr like we've been for years.

BMW Assist is like on star. don't know about the fees, but bluetooth is included in the package, so i would get it.
      01-15-2008, 05:58 PM   #3
Templedogg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, Trailblazer SS, 1934 PU

BMW Assist is like Onstar, but for your money you are upfront buying it for 4 years. Active is stupid unless at low speed you want to do u-turns by only turning the wheel a little. It has no place in a sports car, I want to know at all times the amount I turn the steering wheel is going to mean the same degree of wheel turn.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 06:05 PM   #4
Xii
Private
Rep
Drives:

Awsome thanks fellas. So active steering does vary =/ I thought it was more like an f1 style steering wheel so that you wouldnt have to turn nearly as far but the ratio was always the same.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 06:50 PM   #5
Templedogg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, Trailblazer SS, 1934 PU

Nope, it is just more money for BMW and more IMHO geared for big heavy old dude cars....like parking sensors....but that is just me. I can see the dealer pushing it on a 1series just to increase their $$$.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 07:27 PM   #6
sethchan
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Active steering can also help stabilize the car in a skid, I believe. It works with the stability control systems. I've never had the details of this spelled out for me, but it's not only for making parking easier.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 08:03 PM   #7
NJKSC27
automobile aficionado
Rep
Drives:

dont forget about Bluetooth with BMW Assist
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 08:17 PM   #8
128er
Captain
Rep
Drives:

All the car magazines and sources that have automobile knowledge discourage Active Steering! IDK why, but whatever. Also, the first 4 years of BMW Assist are free and after that there is a fee. To help you decide on your car.

1. 135i (Black)
2.Evo X
3. 350z (About to be redone into 370z)
-Steptronic
-Premium Sound
-Xenons

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 08:39 PM   #9
Xii
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128er View Post
All the car magazines and sources that have automobile knowledge discourage Active Steering! IDK why, but whatever. Also, the first 4 years of BMW Assist are free and after that there is a fee. To help you decide on your car.

1. 135i (Black)
2.Evo X
3. 350z (About to be redone into 370z)
Haha thanks bud, the 135 was my top choice as well and it has become a reality so I am working towards that. I really appreciate all the replies, I didn't think I would need the active steering and I am thinking hard about the BMW assist. I'll let yall know what I decide and can walk away with.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 08:59 PM   #10
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E90 M3

well i'm getting it. no intention to track my car though.

more nimble at lower speeds and
added safety with integration with DSC

but i fully admit it's superfluous... i'll give you my thoughts again after i drive it a while.
      01-16-2008, 12:28 AM   #11
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Don't listen to the sales person. 95% are idiots. My sales guy didn't know what a Z8 was. They are pretty much useless.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 05:27 AM   #12
TP 135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i SGM MT

Garage List
When I was going over all the available options with my sales guy he absolutely advised me NOT to get the active steering. He said he loved it on the larger Bmers but for this smaller/lighter car it was a waste of money and would reduce steering feel at speed.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 07:21 AM   #13
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I guess Active Steering is possibly to blame for the different review opinions given.

Some reviews have slated the handling as being "numb" whilst others have commented about the good feedback and feel of the steering. Does anyone know if the cars given for jounalist reviews were all identical spec and did they have Active Steering or not? (I can't recall seeing any reference to this in the reviews I have seen)
"But don't be surprised if you completely forget about your passengers when driving this car. You will be mesmerised by the feel of the fat, well-weighted steering wheel in your hands, the sound from the specially tuned exhaust, and the in-gear acceleration that will have you grinning like a loon...." TopCar magazine (SA)
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 01:16 PM   #14
weenstan
Registered
Rep
Drives: E36 328i

I agree with steering like we always have, a ratio that varies scares me >.>.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 01:58 PM   #15
sethchan
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Better for bigger bimmers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP 135i View Post
When I was going over all the available options with my sales guy he absolutely advised me NOT to get the active steering. He said he loved it on the larger Bmers but for this smaller/lighter car it was a waste of money and would reduce steering feel at speed.
That's what my sales guy said, too. So I'm skipping it. But since we have snow and ice on the road about six months of the year here, I'm really curious about what benefit active steering would provide in conjunction with DSC. I've only seen mentions of this aspect, not any in-depth reporting.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 04:05 PM   #16
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templedogg View Post
BMW Assist is like Onstar, but for your money you are upfront buying it for 4 years. Active is stupid unless at low speed you want to do u-turns by only turning the wheel a little. It has no place in a sports car, I want to know at all times the amount I turn the steering wheel is going to mean the same degree of wheel turn.
I read about it last night. It also allows the computer to automatically counter steer if the car is getting ready to slide off the road. I'm not sure how that works but it sounds scary to have the ecu taking over steering!

"The new dimension in steering comfort: Active Steering offers precision, agility and comfort in every driving situation.

At the heart of the new Active Steering system is the planetary gear set integrated into the steering column. An electric motor in the joint adjusts the front wheels' steering angle in proportion to the Sedan's current speed.
When driving at lower speeds - such as in city traffic, when parking or on winding mountain roads, Active Steering increases the size of the steering angle. The front wheels respond immediately to small movements of the steering wheel, enabling the driver to manoeuvre through tight spaces without needing to make multiple turns of the steering wheel. Parking is easier and agility enhanced.
At higher speeds, bends are more gradual, demanding a smaller steering angle. Therefore, Active Steering reduces the amount of change in the steering angle for every movement of the steering wheel. This gives the driver the advantage of more precise steering at higher speeds, and ensures great stability and more comfort.
If the vehicle is threatened with instability, such as by oversteering or braking on a changeable surface, DSC identifies the problem and can use Active Steering to help overcome it. For example, in order to reduce unsafe yaw, Active Steering can increase the angle of steering wheels faster than even the most expert driver. Active Steering does not interrupt the direct connection between steering wheel and front wheels, so that even in the unlikely event of a complete failure of the electronic systems, the BMW remains completely controllable at all times."

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle..._steering.html
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 04:37 PM   #17
sethchan
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Still confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzy4135i View Post
I read about it last night. It also allows the computer to automatically counter steer if the car is getting ready to slide off the road. I'm not sure how that works but it sounds scary to have the ecu taking over steering!

--snip--

If the vehicle is threatened with instability, such as by oversteering or braking on a changeable surface, DSC identifies the problem and can use Active Steering to help overcome it. For example, in order to reduce unsafe yaw, Active Steering can increase the angle of steering wheels faster than even the most expert driver. Active Steering does not interrupt the direct connection between steering wheel and front wheels, so that even in the unlikely event of a complete failure of the electronic systems, the BMW remains completely controllable at all times."

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle..._steering.html
Yes, that's the bit I've read. Thanks for digging it up.

I had to look up "yaw." OK, fine. But I have no idea what "increase the angle of steering wheels" means either in theory or practice. If I start to spin, is Active Steering going to turn the wheels in the opposite direction to get me out of it? What if I'm swerving to avoid a moose and I'd rather spin than crash into it? This description just doesn't make sense to me and I haven't seen anyone write about this in reviews for any Active Steering-equipped car.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 04:45 PM   #18
sethchan
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Hmmm. Found this:

BMW claims Active Steering increases the dynamic envelope by quelling incipient oversteer in maneuvers like high-speed lane changes, reducing the need for steering input when braking on uneven surfaces, or adjusting steering angle to changing levels of grip. As a result, Dynamic Stability Control is called upon less often, and can be initiated less aggressively to keep the car heading in the right direction.

COPYRIGHT 2003 Gardner Publications, Inc.
COPYRIGHT 2003 Gale Group

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...15/ai_98901445
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 04:53 PM   #19
sethchan
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

And this:
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...pagewanted=all

Turns out there's a lot on this aspect if one uses the google.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 11:40 PM   #20
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E90 M3

in case you haven't seen it before (and regulars here certainly have) this is one of the better and more frequently cited summaries of the technology from a more nuts and bolts angle:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/031112.htm
      01-17-2008, 09:26 PM   #21
dvmotorsports
BMW Technician
Rep
Drives:

Don't get it. I drive cars with it every day. It's only true benefit is not having to pull a 12 point turn in a 7 series and it makes maneuvering into parking stalls easier with longer wheel base vehicles.

But, drive and compare for yourself. But you'll probably have to test drive a 5 as the option is pretty rare in a 3.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 01:13 PM   #22
Rook24V
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 m40i

I drove that option on a Z4 and I loved it. Personally I think active steering is on my 'must have' list. Although I will say that BMW Assist is getting up there, the bluetooth option is pretty tempting, I'll have to wait and see how easy/cheap it is to install the bluetooth module after the fact.
Appreciate 0