BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-03-2014, 07:17 PM   #1
Ehwnnc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 335i

Finally getting time to correct my paint

Well ive been staying busy with other peoples cars but finally have some time to work on mine.

Previous owner couldnt wash a car to save there life it seems.

Just getting started but here is a preview

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 08:25 PM   #2
evbecks
Hero
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i M-Sport

Hi! That looks awesome! Would you mind sharing your equipment and paint correction supply list?

Thanks!
Evan
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 08:43 PM   #3
Ehwnnc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evbecks View Post
Hi! That looks awesome! Would you mind sharing your equipment and paint correction supply list?

Thanks!
Evan
Thank you.

I use a Porter Cable

Most of my supplieS are Chemical Guys

I had some bad water spots so i started off the the V34 compound then moved to the V36 and used the V38 polish to remove the micro scratches

After correction I apllied blacklight as a finish then sprayed on the V07 as a sealant.

This is my first time with the Blacklight and V07 combo and I must say they work VERY well as a combo

Last but not least. TIME AND PATIENCE
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 08:45 PM   #4
evbecks
Hero
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehwnnc View Post
Thank you.

I use a Porter Cable

Most of my supplieS are Chemical Guys

I had some bad water spots so i started off the the V34 compound then moved to the V36 and used the V38 polish to remove the micro scratches

After correction I apllied blacklight as a finish then sprayed on the V07 as a sealant.

This is my first time with the Blacklight and V07 combo and I must say they work VERY well as a combo

Last but not least. TIME AND PATIENCE
Awesome. I'm looking to get into the "detail" gang! How long would you say it will take you to finish a 1er?

evan
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 08:50 PM   #5
Ehwnnc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evbecks View Post
Awesome. I'm looking to get into the "detail" gang! How long would you say it will take you to finish a 1er?

evan
It is a a fun gang to be in. It can get pricey trying out new products and such to see which best fits you and your style

That is a hard question. I would say total time prob around 15 hours. I had to stop after the hood and trunk so i hope to get back to work next week on it
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 09:35 PM   #6
spoolin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

It is a fun gang to be in but ehwnnc is right, it can get expensive fast. There are so many awesome products. I have come to like menzerna and chemical guys products. The only exception being blackfire wet diamond sealant and wax.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 12:53 PM   #7
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
Menzerna is definitely great in my books. I top it off with collinite 845. I do want to try power lock though. Heard nothing but greatness from it. Welcome to detailing. Where you'll quickly accumulate a ton of products hahaha
2008 128i E88 / Alpine White / Boston Leather Sport / 6AT / M3 Paddle Shifters / Bilstein B8 / H&R Springs / Dinan Fixed Camber Plates / BMW 335i Front Brakes / PIAA Xtreme White 4150K Angel Eyes / Rear Fogs Enabled / Cyba Air Scoops / Euro Airbox / BMW Performance Exhaust / Stubby BMW Antenna
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 09:36 PM   #8
Ehwnnc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.rodriguez View Post
Menzerna is definitely great in my books. I top it off with collinite 845. I do want to try power lock though. Heard nothing but greatness from it. Welcome to detailing. Where you'll quickly accumulate a ton of products hahaha
Ive heard a lot products do not go well on top of Menzerna products. I have no personal experince with this but ive stayed away just for that reason
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 09:39 PM   #9
Ehwnnc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoolin View Post
It is a fun gang to be in but ehwnnc is right, it can get expensive fast. There are so many awesome products. I have come to like menzerna and chemical guys products. The only exception being blackfire wet diamond sealant and wax.
In regards to my above post have you had issues mixing products with menzerna?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 06:13 AM   #10
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
Quote:
In regards to my above post have you had issues mixing products with menzerna?
Topping with 845 seems to work. The menzerna products are polishes and I do an IPA wipe down before wax/sealants. It works well for me!
2008 128i E88 / Alpine White / Boston Leather Sport / 6AT / M3 Paddle Shifters / Bilstein B8 / H&R Springs / Dinan Fixed Camber Plates / BMW 335i Front Brakes / PIAA Xtreme White 4150K Angel Eyes / Rear Fogs Enabled / Cyba Air Scoops / Euro Airbox / BMW Performance Exhaust / Stubby BMW Antenna
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 11:31 PM   #11
spoolin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

An Ipa wipe-down is very important prior to sealing a car.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 11:20 PM   #12
Ehwnnc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.rodriguez View Post
Topping with 845 seems to work. The menzerna products are polishes and I do an IPA wipe down before wax/sealants. It works well for me!
Im not a fan of IPA wipe down. I will do a test spot but that is it.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 12:07 AM   #13
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Ive heard a lot products do not go well on top of Menzerna products. I have no personal experince with this but ive stayed away just for that reason
IPA Wipedown

Quote:
Im not a fan of IPA wipe down. I will do a test spot but that is it.
Care to explain why?

If you don't do a IPA wipedown, you're never going to properly bond to the paint with anything and any product.

All lighter finishing polishes contain fillers, which essentially fill the micro scratches to make the paint appear corrected. However without a clean surface, and using a IPA wipedown, you'll never know when you actually corrected your paint and any sealant/wax will never properly bond.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 12:14 PM   #14
Ehwnnc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
IPA Wipedown

Care to explain why?

If you don't do a IPA wipedown, you're never going to properly bond to the paint with anything and any product.

All lighter finishing polishes contain fillers, which essentially fill the micro scratches to make the paint appear corrected. However without a clean surface, and using a IPA wipedown, you'll never know when you actually corrected your paint and any sealant/wax will never properly bond.

Most quality products dont contain fillers. I feel as if i clean the surface good enough to where i dont need to aplly alcohol to it. Ive seen it damage paint so no i just stay away
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 01:49 PM   #15
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehwnnc
Quote:
IPA Wipedown

Care to explain why?

Most quality products dont contain fillers. I feel as if i clean the surface good enough to where i dont need to aplly alcohol to it. Ive seen it damage paint so no i just stay away
If you've seen it "damage" paint, then the user wasn't using a clean towel, or the IPA actually did its job and showed the user that correction never happened fully.

The best polishes on the market have fillers/polish left behind. Menzerna PO85rd?...yep. Meguiars M205....yep.

When you wipe down a car, you'll never prep the surface completely. I don't care who does it.

IPA is a must for proper prep. If you don't use it then you're wasting your time with LSP.

Just IMO, but do whatever you want.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 09:47 AM   #16
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 370z & 135i

Quote:
IPA is a must for proper prep. If you don't use it then you're wasting your time with LSP.
Strongly agreed. An IPA wipedown will not harm the paint in any way as long as you're using a quality microfiber. You've got to make that surface as pristine as possible for the best sealant bond. You can always do whatever you want, of course- it's your time you'll be spending reapplying the sealant when it comes off.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 07:05 PM   #17
Ehwnnc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If you've seen it "damage" paint, then the user wasn't using a clean towel, or the IPA actually did its job and showed the user that correction never happened fully.

The best polishes on the market have fillers/polish left behind. Menzerna PO85rd?...yep. Meguiars M205....yep.

When you wipe down a car, you'll never prep the surface completely. I don't care who does it.

Just IMO, but do whatever you want.

This is striaght from meguiars...This is actually really good stuff, although a more traditional IPA is much less expensive. But again, if you're using our polish and wax there is no need to do a wipe down between the two steps, so it's actually a bit of a waste of product. Where products like this and IPA really benefit you is to ensure that you've removed all traces of compound during the correction step, just to ensure you're not filling in the last of the defects. We've done this with both IPA and Eraser when rotary compounding with some competitors compounds that looked like they were doing an outstanding job...... until we wiped the surface down and revealed all the holograms. That told us the product wasn't just removing the defects, but it was also hiding the problems it was creating. Had we not wiped down the area and just gone on to polishing and waxing, once everything wore off or was washed off, those holograms would have reared their ugly heads. Better to know early on if you're dealing with that, or at least that you're fully removing the defects you want to remove in the first place. That's the best use of IPA and similar.

Goes back to what i said. I do it on a test spot to make sure my work is good and i know what process i need to do for the rest of the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 07:08 PM   #18
Ehwnnc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshirecat79 View Post
Strongly agreed. An IPA wipedown will not harm the paint in any way as long as you're using a quality microfiber. You've got to make that surface as pristine as possible for the best sealant bond. You can always do whatever you want, of course- it's your time you'll be spending reapplying the sealant when it comes off.

And another quote from meguiars

An IPA wipedown can allow some LSPs to bond to the paint better - assuming that particular product is designed in such a way that it is not compatible with polishes, glazes or other products being on the paint first.

All Meguiar's products are compatible with one another, meaning you won't have any issues applying any of our waxes or sealants on top of any of our polishes, etc. There is no real need to do this but, as mentioned, it can be a great tool to make sure you're removing all the defects and not just hiding them.

But if you're using something like our M80 Speed Glaze for example (a product rich in our trade secret polishing oils), but you're using an LSP from another company and their instructions recommend doing an IPA wipe down, or something similar, they by all means follow that manufacturers directions for optimum results with their product.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 07:54 PM   #19
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

.....But you're not using Meguairs.

So the point is?

Any polymer type sealant will not bond
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 08:26 PM   #20
Ehwnnc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

So the point is?

My point is a big time company like Megs is stating that IPA is not needed.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 08:34 PM   #21
Ehwnnc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

So the point is?

Anyway like you said everyone is different.

There are tons of people who dont like IPA wipedowns and also a ton who do. All that matters is that the finish product is what you are pleased with.

I do appreciate your comments and opinions. I dont mean to come off like a dick
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 08:51 PM   #22
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

No problem, I've just never seen someone oppose it.

BTW - how do you like the CG polishes?
Appreciate 0