BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-17-2019, 09:26 PM   #23
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
But, those who did buy a 1M where smarter than the 135i crowd. They can drive without fear of depreciation. One of the very few modern cars that's happened with.
Unless they daily drive it.

Now that you can buy a 135i for ~$10k, even if it depreciates to zero, you've only lost $10k.

A 1M on the other hand, might be going up in value. But I think they're a lot like the E46 M3 (only rarer). A well serviced example with low km's trades for a lot of money; but once you get more than 100 miles on the clock, every extra mile is a little bit less someone's willing to pay.

So if you're putting 16,000 miles on the clock each year; you're hands-down depreciating that car faster than a 135i ever would (in dollar terms, not in percentage terms).

Now, I've never had the pleasure of driving a 1M, but I have driven my 135i before mods and after mods; and I would say a FBO 135i with a LSD and some good suspension is a completely different car from a stock 135i.

It's also a lot cheaper than a 1M.

... I think if reviewers did some back-to-back testing of a 1M vs a 135i that'd had $10,000 of mods done to it - I think they'd find the two cars far more similar (especially in terms of shared strengths and weaknesses)

I can tell you, my car is an absolute handful to drive fast. Replacing the shitty e-LSD that spun one wheel at the drop of a hat with a proper LSD that slides the back out at the drop of a hat makes an obscene difference to the handling characteristics of the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 09:47 PM   #24
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
Unless they daily drive it.

Now that you can buy a 135i for ~$10k, even if it depreciates to zero, you've only lost $10k.

A 1M on the other hand, might be going up in value. But I think they're a lot like the E46 M3 (only rarer). A well serviced example with low km's trades for a lot of money; but once you get more than 100 miles on the clock, every extra mile is a little bit less someone's willing to pay.

So if you're putting 16,000 miles on the clock each year; you're hands-down depreciating that car faster than a 135i ever would (in dollar terms, not in percentage terms).

Now, I've never had the pleasure of driving a 1M, but I have driven my 135i before mods and after mods; and I would say a FBO 135i with a LSD and some good suspension is a completely different car from a stock 135i.

It's also a lot cheaper than a 1M.

... I think if reviewers did some back-to-back testing of a 1M vs a 135i that'd had $10,000 of mods done to it - I think they'd find the two cars far more similar (especially in terms of shared strengths and weaknesses)

I can tell you, my car is an absolute handful to drive fast. Replacing the shitty e-LSD that spun one wheel at the drop of a hat with a proper LSD that slides the back out at the drop of a hat makes an obscene difference to the handling characteristics of the car.
there are plenty of 1M drivers who put miles on their cars. Mine has been my daily driver for years now and am around 90k miles.

A) i don't care about depreciation. mine will never be for sale again.
B) i had a 135 before my 1M.
C) the 135 was a great car
D) the 1M is a ridiculously wonderful car.

because i love the 135 so much and the 135 literally *was* the basis for the frankenstein lab experiment which became the 1M; If you drive a 1M for 3 minutes from a 135 it's plain to see how different they feel. It's not just one thing like the LSD or engine tune that makes it feel different; it's the entire feel of the car. Manual ONLY. no sunroof, fast fast steering rack. suspension that feels alive and well sorted. Brakes that grip hard. the whole car may feel aggressive or edgy or playful; but it feels like it has big fat claws holding the edges.

the 1M has a swagger all of its own. I've driven $125k Porsche 911s and gotten back in to the 1M and thought it felt like a total rock and roll star.

Enjoy your 135s (and 128s). they are wonderful in themselves....
      01-17-2019, 10:17 PM   #25
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
there are plenty of 1M drivers who put miles on their cars. Mine has been my daily driver for years now and am around 90k miles.

A) i don't care about depreciation. mine will never be for sale again.
B) i had a 135 before my 1M.
C) the 135 was a great car
D) the 1M is a ridiculously wonderful car.
I feel I should clarify - I wasn't trying to say a modified 135i and 1M were roughly equal cars; even after spending as much on mods for the 135i as you did on the car its self...

I really think it's silly when people drop a body kit, some suspension parts and a tune onto a 135i then claim they've basically built a 1M. It's like trying to compare a 335i to a M3 CS.

I was saying (like you) that since the 1M started life as a N54 135i that's been pruified by BMW to be a //M car; if you fix the obvious problems with the 135i (ie. increase its power, drop a handful of ///M suspension parts in along with more focused springs&dampners and a proper LSD) then review the car; you're very likely to come back saying it's "a bit twitchy" or "a handful to drive" or a whole lot of other terms that reviewers use to describe the 1M.

I was also saying that while the 1M might not depreciate in %age terms, compared with the 135i which has dropped like a sack of potatoes - given the cheap price you can now pickup a 135i, you're probably going to loose more money (in absolute terms) on a 1M if you put miles on it.

But that's a completely different question from "Is a 1M worth the money?" ... because I'd swap my modified 135i over for a stock 1M in a heartbeat.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 04:45 PM   #26
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
I really think it's silly when people drop a body kit, some suspension parts and a tune onto a 135i then claim they've basically built a 1M. It's like trying to compare a 335i to a M3 CS.
It's a little different than that, because the 1M didn't get an M engine, which has historically been a major separator of M cars.

I don't think many would argue that the 1M is a much better car vs. the 135i, stock for stock, as it's a combination of features and parts that the M guys deemed to be just right. That being said, I also think it's possible to build a different, but potentially better, car by modding a 135i for not all that much money, and that's not exactly a controversial statement. Even my friend with a 1M would agree. Will it have the same 1M magic? Who knows. That magic really comes from feelings as much as anything else.

While I'm at it, though, here are some controversial statements. While I like nearly everything about the 1M over a stock 135i, there are actually a few things I prefer about a modded 135i:

- steering rack: The 135i rack is already the same ratio as the E46 M3, and it's faster than my Porsches of the past. I'm not sure I'd want a faster one.

- sunroof: I know it's not the "enthusiast" choice, and it adds a little weight, but it drove me crazy losing a sunroof when going from a 911 to a Cayman, and I'm glad to have an open roof back (I still fit with my helmet.)

- alcantara: I really can't stand the feel and look of alcantara.

- looks: Like with Porsches in the past, I prefer the more subdued, narrow body cars.

I think that's about it.
Appreciate 1
xQx902.50
      01-18-2019, 07:17 PM   #27
swunder
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135is, x3 m40i, V70R

I'd really love to drive a 1M someday to compare it to my 135is. Maybe I'll beg someone at a 1addicts meetup.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 06:03 PM   #28
matthew1227
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Is the 135is suspension rougher/tighter than 135i but less so than 1m? Or is 135i with M sport feel very similar to 135is.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 06:23 PM   #29
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew1227 View Post
Is the 135is suspension rougher/tighter than 135i but less so than 1m? Or is 135i with M sport feel very similar to 135is.
The -is has the same suspension as an M-sport 135i (the majority of 135s were made with the M sport package IIRC).
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 06:29 PM   #30
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew1227 View Post
As mentioned in other threads, all 135i/135is in the US came from the factory with the same S704 M Sport suspension.

Check your car here ---->>> https://www.mdecoder.com
Appreciate 0