BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #89
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1&done View Post
I was told the valving was slightly different by Ohlins USA, however, there is nothing in writing to prove this. I can tell you that the 1M kit comes with cable adjusters for the rear and specific directions on where to drill a hole through the liners. They are dinky and I plan to use at set of AST flexible adjusters as the quality seems to be better with those.

Side not, the instructions supplied are slightly off. You cannot use the supplied rear spacers if you use the OEM washers. I have contacted Ohlins as this sure be corrected. Plus I was missing some plastic spacers.
I haven't seen ASTs or Ohlins adjustment dongles up close -- they're pretty hard to track down on the internet as well. Are you pretty sure that the AST extenders would fit the Ohlins without modification?

I'd love additional details about the deficiencies you experienced with the 1M kit. (I'll have to reread the install instructions to see if this gives your comments more context...) What did you have to do to get it all to work?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 12:59 AM   #90
Flatout
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 1M AW 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
I haven't seen ASTs or Ohlins adjustment dongles up close -- they're pretty hard to track down on the internet as well. Are you pretty sure that the AST extenders would fit the Ohlins without modification?

I'd love additional details about the deficiencies you experienced with the 1M kit. (I'll have to reread the install instructions to see if this gives your comments more context...) What did you have to do to get it all to work?
Here öhlins parts list.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf SPL_Automotive_Road_track.pdf (465.0 KB, 1608 views)
Öhlins R&T whit adjuster extension. Millway rear alu subframe mounts and delrin differential mounts and front tension mono ball kit. BMWP SSK, shift/handbreake knob and boot. BMWP steering wheel 2 whit display. N55 mid pipe. Self made caliper brass guide bushings, front and rear.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 07:38 AM   #91
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
^ I will have to customize them a bit, using the Ohlins piece that attaches to the top of the shaft paired to the AST flexible adjusters. Once I complete it I will post some picks.
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 08:05 AM   #92
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by obiwun View Post
I'm currently driving without my boot liner and the rear seats are folded flat, its quite amazing to see how much deflection there is in the top bushings on the shock mount when driving along, the adjuster is bobbing up and down over every bump. I actually double checked to see if it was tightened and assembled correctly.
Wow! That is fascinating! I will need to remove my trunk liner and take a look to see if I have any such deflection now.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 12:04 AM   #93
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yup, just watch the adjusters when you lower the car w a floor jack or lift. There is movement no doubt

Here is a pic or the AST adjusters there are 2 lengths...wee and not so wee 200/400mm. Harold can get these if anyone wants a set, or AST.
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 12:05 AM   #94
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Pic
Attached Images

///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 12:14 AM   #95
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I spoke to Jake at Öhlins to clear things up. Instructions say to use provided spacer, this is incorrect, you must use the OEM spacer. The Öhlins spacer is for the E9X w/ EDC, guess they thought 1Ms have that too. The 2nd issue was the apparent "flexible" spacer missing. Jake said this is a typo and there should be no such spacer...note the misspelling. I have a set of roller needle/ thrust bearings on order. These are usually supplied on there TTX series...over kill maybe, however, I can here some slight noise from the springs.
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 12:15 AM   #96
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Pic
Attached Images

///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 12:20 AM   #97
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Sorry OP, just adding info to the thread

Pic 2
Attached Images

///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2014, 01:02 PM   #98
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Quote:
HP Autosport, can you tell us if the 1M kit has different damper tuning to the M3 kit? I would be very interested to know as I haven't heard back from my Australian ohlins agent yet.
Thanks
Toby
According to OhlinsUSA, who got this information from an Ohlins engineer in Sweden:

"Here’s the difference, per the engineer: 'Front is the same part number on the dampers so the setting needs to be the same. Rear is different in the compression shim stack and the compression DFV shim stack.'"

Given my extremely rudimentary knowledge of suspension mechanics, I do not actually know what this means. What is the functional significance of this?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 08:08 PM   #99
obiwun
Private
Rep
Drives: AW(well very dirty) 1M

Quote:
According to OhlinsUSA, who got this information from an Ohlins engineer in Sweden:

"Here’s the difference, per the engineer: 'Front is the same part number on the dampers so the setting needs to be the same. Rear is different in the compression shim stack and the compression DFV shim stack.'"

Given my extremely rudimentary knowledge of suspension mechanics, I do not actually know what this means. What is the functional significance of this?
Thank you for sharing this info Ayao. Essentially it means they have softened the high and low speed compression damping in the rear. This makes sense and correlates to what i have been feeling in the car, I found the rear suspension to be too stiff and have been running the rebound settings much softer in the rear compared to the front.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 08:24 PM   #100
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Thank you for sharing this info Ayao. Essentially it means they have softened the high and low speed compression damping in the rear. This makes sense and correlates to what i have been feeling in the car, I found the rear suspension to be too stiff and have been running the rebound settings much softer in the rear compared to the front.
Interesting. FWIW, I'm currently having my rear shocks (JRZ RS1) revalved.

I'd been running the car progressively softer in back this season on the track (road race). After looking at the shock dyno and discussing with JRZ, the shop (RRT Racing) is leaving the rebound shim stack alone, but removing one shim from the compression side.

BTW, I'm running Swift springs -- 392# front and 672# rear.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 10:58 PM   #101
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Quote:
I spoke to Jake at Öhlins to clear things up. Instructions say to use provided spacer, this is incorrect, you must use the OEM spacer. The Öhlins spacer is for the E9X w/ EDC, guess they thought 1Ms have that too. The 2nd issue was the apparent "flexible" spacer missing. Jake said this is a typo and there should be no such spacer...note the misspelling. I have a set of roller needle/ thrust bearings on order. These are usually supplied on there TTX series...over kill maybe, however, I can here some slight noise from the springs.
1&done -
Which part of the instructions refers to the Ohlins spacer vs the OEM spacer? Would appreciate further clarification!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 03:55 PM   #102
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
1&done -
Which part of the instructions refers to the Ohlins spacer vs the OEM spacer? Would appreciate further clarification!
In "pic 2" it states which "original" parts to reuse. I used the spacer provided only to later find out it was too long and had to dissemble. Also, your must reuse the original bushing and washer, however, you must separate the OE nut from the washer that is crimped together. Ohlins USA admitted to the typos and the not so accurate instructions. It is really small potatoes, however, I was under a time crunch and I was to had to redo it.

The Ohlins spacer is used in the EDC M3 only based on what I was told.
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 04:10 PM   #103
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Swift 65mm thrust sheets will cure the noise issue.

We typically installed them here at the shop anyway without charge.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 04:18 PM   #104
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post

Wish I was in your area Harold, you guys are top notch . I do not trust anyone local to touch my car.
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 05:58 PM   #105
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post

Hi Harold-
How often are you getting complaints from those who have the kit installed without thrust sheets as far as noise is concerned? Do the fronts vs rears tend to be the culprits?

Last edited by ayao; 11-17-2014 at 06:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 06:50 PM   #106
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Hi Harold-
How often are you getting complaints from those who have the kit installed without thrust sheets as far as noise is concerned? Do the fronts vs rears tend to be the culprits?
Very rarely actually...I don't think those with issues were my customers. I think I have sold around 50-60 BMW kits(E46, E9x, E8x, M, none M along with GTR, Lexus, Mini and Subaru kits) so far so if I have 1-2 complaint of noise, that is still pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 06:56 PM   #107
PeteA
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30, E82

As always, brilliant suspension Harold. I've told you many times.

I am using a 6" / 9" swift spring with trust sheet configuration w/ vorshalg. I never got any noise until I went solid monoball front control arm bushings, and even then, its only a little soft rattle at very low speeds.

The only noise I ever noticed were when going over those super aggressive fuck-offski style speed bumps that look like this:

If I go over 5kph over those I get a little THUD on the way down but that's about it! I am using quite aggressive tyres on the street, Hancook RS-3's. A PSS tyre would be better for sure on the street.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 11:07 PM   #108
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteA View Post
As always, brilliant suspension Harold. I've told you many times.

I am using a 6" / 9" swift spring with trust sheet configuration w/ vorshalg. I never got any noise until I went solid monoball front control arm bushings, and even then, its only a little soft rattle at very low speeds.

The only noise I ever noticed were when going over those super aggressive fuck-offski style speed bumps that look like this:

If I go over 5kph over those I get a little THUD on the way down but that's about it! I am using quite aggressive tyres on the street, Hancook RS-3's. A PSS tyre would be better for sure on the street.
The thud may be from the very tiny movement of the monoball in the Vorshlag plates, which is typically not heard during normal driving.

The RS3's stiffer overall construction likely contributed to some of the thud. PSS will certainly ride better and a much preferred street tire.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 11:10 PM   #109
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Quote:
1&done -
Just seeking some followup on your thrust bearings. Did you order a full set F/R and have you installed them and/or noticed any difference? Looking at the installation directions, it looks like they are placed against the base of each end of the spring -- all the other bits and pieces as described by Ohlins remain the same, right?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 07:40 PM   #110
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I did install a pair of 65mm needle bearings on the rear, I have not touched the front just yet. I plan to install another set up front if the noise persists after I install adjustable sway bar links. I have zero noise in the rear now.
Attached Images

///1M #643 of #740

Last edited by 1&done; 02-24-2015 at 10:22 PM.. Reason: sp
Appreciate 0