07-14-2014, 07:49 AM   #1
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, M6 GC, 718GT4, F355GTS6

Last Service stop before warranty is up

Hello,
I DD my 1M which is a double edge sword, I've showered it with parts and would love for it to be a low mileage beauty i can drive forever but i get to enjoy it every day instead.. I'm in the US with a 50k mile new car warranty and am at 46k miles so I plan to take it in and ask they look at little interior pieces that are showing excessive wear and I may ask them to look at some waste gate rattle I'm experiencing but do you all have any other recommendations? Weak points of the car that i should look at before i leave warranty?

Are any 1M owners buying extended warranties, BMW or not, that I could piggy back off of your research? Not sure its a good fit with my mods but I'd like to look into it.

Thanks for the help and I've loved every one of the miles with the car so far!
Spencer
      07-14-2014, 10:28 AM   #2
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

At that mileage, I would like them to check the carbon build up issue and depending on the diagnosis, a clean up. I am sure you have changed the spark plugs already but wouldn't hurt to demand new plugs, if you have a good relationship with your dealer.

I would say suspension pieces too but you probably have lots of aftermarket stuff there.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 11:34 AM   #3
Snertz
H O O N
United_States
Rep
Drives: ein M!

Does your car show any symptoms or issues? Maybe have them check the pads and rotors for excessive wear.

My level of mods is same as yours, now at 56k. It's been solid besides typical wear. I opted to skip on the extended warranty as DIY'ing was less hassle than having to put the car back to stock anytime I needed anything done, which was pretty rare as it is.

U WOT M8?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 09:21 PM   #4
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the feedback, and its not showing much in the way of symptoms. It has a bit of wastegate rattle, I feel that theres more play in the steering and vibration when hitting cats eyes etc so I'm thinking bushings are starting to show their age. I guess I'll ask them to look at the wastegates and they may be out of spec, other than that just some interior trim pieces like the shift knob and primarily the soft rubberish coating on the center console around the cup holders and cubbies are showing excessive wear.

What are the OCD recommendations on bushings, or anything else that may need a look over at roughly 50k whether warrantied or not, one thing that really sucks about this car is why would i go to anything else but I want it to drive as near as new as possible and I do intermittent track events. I have coilovers and much was replaced as part of that, shock mounts, shocks, springs etc but not bushings or control arms or anything to that extent, don't think spark plugs have been changed, diff fluids etc. I know much of this is unnecessary and I'm far from interested in doing things just to spend money but if there are things that are recommended I'll do them.

Appreciate any guidance, just trying to enjoy the car in peak shape as much as possible and haven't been on the forums as much as I'd like to so I feel a bit out of the loop on the quick to fail parts.

The positive is I'm free to mod now(lol, didn't stop me much), I always delayed down pipes until out of warranty and have them sitting here ready to go in as soon as i get it back from BMW after this last drop off which should be exciting.. to bad BMW dealers suck down here and i had to wait 3 weeks for a service appt.
      07-22-2014, 11:38 PM   #5
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Hello!

At one time there was a massive group by thread about extended warranties, from back when the cars were introduced. I've been meaning to look that up. I just recently took my car in for service and got a brochure in my car from my dealer as a reminder about the extended warranty. I would be curious to hear that pricing you find.

My service work included new spark plugs, new brake, trans, diff, fluids, oil and filter. My car has around 24k miles.

It's awesome that you daily drive the car and, as you mentioned, the reward is you get to use it fully by experiencing it more often.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 12:55 AM   #6
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

That's a ton of work they did on your car. Out of curiosity what symbols did the CBS indicator on the car show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Hello!

At one time there was a massive group by thread about extended warranties, from back when the cars were introduced. I've been meaning to look that up. I just recently took my car in for service and got a brochure in my car from my dealer as a reminder about the extended warranty. I would be curious to hear that pricing you find.

My service work included new spark plugs, new brake, trans, diff, fluids, oil and filter. My car has around 24k miles.

It's awesome that you daily drive the car and, as you mentioned, the reward is you get to use it fully by experiencing it more often.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 05:02 AM   #7
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Hello!

On what basis did they change your plugs? Thought that wasn't until 37K or some such...
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 05:47 AM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I would push for new brakes(rotors and pads). The rears seem to go at the same point as the fronts. What does your CBS say?

Things that should be replaced are:

oil and filter change
spark plugs (and check the valve cover for leaks/cracks)
trans fluid
diff fluid
brake fluid flush
pollen filter
wiper blades
check for any open recalls (battery cable, b-pillar insulation, HPFP, etc)

Have the wastegate rattle documented on the repair order. This might help you get it covered down the road. I think its covered until 8 years or 85K miles. ?

Have them also check for waterpump shadow codes - although I have not heard of any 1M's suffering from this fate.

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 07:15 AM   #9
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thank you M3 Adjuster and Dackelone, good stuff. I think I'll ask when plugs were changed and change our the diff at my expense. Where can one check on recalls like the b pillar insulation?
      07-23-2014, 08:07 PM   #10
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
All I got out of them on my 135 was the regular oil change and some new wiper blades. I think many N54 manuals recommended new plugs and new brake pads at 50K. My wear indicator said I had 15k left on my pads and they just blew me off on the plugs. Probably depends alot on your relationship with your dealer. Good luck!
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 08:20 PM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
All I got out of them on my 135 was the regular oil change and some new wiper blades. I think many N54 manuals recommended new plugs and new brake pads at 50K. My wear indicator said I had 15k left on my pads and they just blew me off on the plugs. Probably depends alot on your relationship with your dealer. Good luck!
On the 1M BMW pays for spark plugs at 37K(?) while on the 135i they only pay for plugs at 45K. Most dealers should know that BMW NA pays for new plugs sooner on a 1M than on a N54, 135i. This supports all the tuners who say to change your spark plugs every 25K miles or so.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 05:50 AM   #12
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
On the 1M BMW pays for spark plugs at 37K(?) while on the 135i they only pay for plugs at 45K. Most dealers should know that BMW NA pays for new plugs sooner on a 1M than on a N54, 135i. This supports all the tuners who say to change your spark plugs every 25K miles or so.
really?! shit my dealer said 45k on my last visit. will have to check again...
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 09:31 AM   #13
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
That's a ton of work they did on your car. Out of curiosity what symbols did the CBS indicator on the car show?

Replaced all engine spark plugs per CBS REC

6 12-12-0-037-244 Spark Plugs High Po

CBS States Oil and Filter Due

It lists three customer requests and driver requests for the fluids but then also states per CBS rec
The interior cabin filter was also changed. they also replaced the wipers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
really?! shit my dealer said 45k on my last visit. will have to check again...

The list that Dackel posted is pretty much spot on to what was done on mine.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 07-25-2014 at 09:38 AM..
Appreciate 0