BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-23-2014, 02:55 PM   #1
Slow///1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80, GT3, X7

Angel Eye problem compounded by dealership...

So almost 2 years after installing a set of Lux angel eyes, I had my left front headlight go out. Thinking this was a simple bulb issue I took it to my dealership and learned that water had gotten into the headlight housing and was causing the head light to short. After a few "wrong part ordered" issues, they've decided the car now needs a whole new lighting module, which will take another week to get in. I decided to take the car home and wait until the part arrived.

On the way home from the dealership I made a phone call and realized my bluetooth was now functioning intermittently and dropping calls. This was never a problem prior to the car sitting at the dealership for 7 days. The phone audio is now horribly degraded and car is having an issue recognizing the presence of my phone.

Does anyone here know where the bluetooth module is physically located? Is it anywhere in proximity to the left headlight housing?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 03:07 PM   #2
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

If I remember correctly bluetooth module location depends on equipments of your car i.e. if you have sat-nav or not etc. I don't have navigation but I do have bluetooth and the module should be under the trunk carpet at the rear. Don't trust me too much though, forum member eeghie is the champion in these things, I would ask him.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 01:36 AM   #3
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow///1 View Post
... Does anyone here know where the bluetooth module is physically located? Is it anywhere in proximity to the left headlight housing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
If I remember correctly bluetooth module location depends on equipments of your car ...
Ozinaldo is correct, it will always be behind the engine bay's fire wall though: so noway near the headlights:
- If you have a 1M stripper without BMW Assist, the bluetooth transceiver (and USB functionality) is integrated in the Professional Radio headunit.
- If you have a 1M with Navi/CIC or stipper with either BMW assist or Harman Kardon upgrade, you'll have the fiberoptic MOST and K-can bus cables wired between the headunit and the combox in the (front) bottom-right of your trunk in which the bluetooth transceiver is integrated.

There have been instances of moisture in electronics modules resulting in all kinds of seemingly random errors (named gremlins in Artemis' issue list #17), I haven't heard of headlight moisture resulting in specifically/only bluetooth trouble. It might be related electronically but I'd say the odds are against that and its more likely they are unrelated. The occurrence coinciding with the headlight repair, suggests that somehow a combox connector got loosened or ... (something that happened during the repair). Suggested action based on the information in the OP is to confirm that your bluetooth issue is persistent and if so to call the dealership and ask them if they are willing to look into it.

Last edited by eeghie; 05-24-2014 at 02:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 01:29 PM   #4
Slow///1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the replies. The problem seems to have resolved itself. I'm not sure if multiple hard resets on the iPhone did the job or what. Car is back to normal thankfully!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 02:08 PM   #5
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
Related but unrelated I have had similar issues in the past on my e90 with an SOS error compounded by no bluetooth. Disconnected and reconnected the battery and all was well.
      07-29-2014, 07:55 AM   #6
Slow///1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So my BT problem came back shortly after my last post. The 1M has been back in the shop twice since. 2 combox's later, they found out that there are three Bluetooth antennae in our cars. One in the trunk (combox), one behind the driver's seat, and one in the front console. When the guys were fixing the angel eyes that must've inadvertently damaged the one in the console. Easy replacement and all is well. Hopefully this helps someone in the future.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 08:15 AM   #7
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
So my BT problem came back shortly after my last post. The 1M has been back in the shop twice since. 2 combox's later, they found out that there are three Bluetooth antennae in our cars. One in the trunk (combox), one behind the driver's seat, and one in the front console. When the guys were fixing the angel eyes that must've inadvertently damaged the one in the console. Easy replacement and all is well. Hopefully this helps someone in the future.
Glad they found the rootcause. Interesting info, thx for posting, could you please point the front console (and drivers seat') BT antenna location(s) out in any picture or drawing? THX
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 01:25 PM   #8
Slow///1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie
Quote:
Glad they found the rootcause. Interesting info, thx for posting, could you please point the front console (and drivers seat') BT antenna location(s) out in any picture or drawing? THX
Sorry, they didn't show me directly. I was told it is under the headlight switch area.
Appreciate 0