BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-04-2014, 04:31 PM   #1
trinity_2200
Private
Rep
Drives: 1M

Gearbox Question

Hi all,

I found that when I shift gears at high rev (> 4000rpm), I feel slightly rougher and slightly more resistance than at low rev, the difference is not very big, but noticeable, is this normal? Does that indicate that i need a transmission oil change?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 04:41 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Changing your trans oil can't hurt. And it could end up making the trans shift smoother.

But I suspect a worn gear lever(linkage bushing) or bad trans/engine mount. I would change the trans oil first and see how it feels.

The correct trans oil is: BMW MTF-LT-5. You will need two liters. Although some of us have switched over to Redline's ATF D4 or D6 in our manual trans. I run the D4 and to me, I feel like my trans shifts smoother with the D4 than it did with the BMW fluid.

You might as well change your diff fluid too. Castrol SAF-XJ +FM, 75w140, API GL5. You will need 1.2 liters.

BMW says the trans/diff fluid should be changed every third oil change or 30k miles. (not counting the initial 1,200 mile break in service.

The BEST oil is FRESH oil.

Good Luck,
Dackel
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 04:34 AM   #3
trinity_2200
Private
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Changing your trans oil can't hurt. And it could end up making the trans shift smoother.

But I suspect a worn gear lever(linkage bushing) or bad trans/engine mount. I would change the trans oil first and see how it feels.

The correct trans oil is: BMW MTF-LT-5. You will need two liters. Although some of us have switched over to Redline's ATF D4 or D6 in our manual trans. I run the D4 and to me, I feel like my trans shifts smoother with the D4 than it did with the BMW fluid.

You might as well change your diff fluid too. Castrol SAF-XJ +FM, 75w140, API GL5. You will need 1.2 liters.

BMW says the trans/diff fluid should be changed every third oil change or 30k miles. (not counting the initial 1,200 mile break in service.

The BEST oil is FRESH oil.

Good Luck,
Dackel
Hi Dackel,

Thanks for the advise, will try changing the transmission oil first and see if it helps

Regards
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 09:09 AM   #4
richb811
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Great suggestion by Dackel. I've toasted my linkage bushings in more than a few cars from ham-fisting the gears home in an effort to shift faster. Try the fluid first and then, if it turns out to be the linkage, you'll have a good reason to upgrade it to something more durable.
Appreciate 0