BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-18-2023, 12:47 PM   #1
dfox
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i 6MT

Smart Phone Plugin for CIC

Does anyone have any experience using or trying out one of the android auto/apple carplay units that take over the existing nav screen? Examples below - there are more expensive versions out there that seem to use the same exact components.

I honestly like the placement of the OEM nav screen and think the other tacked on units look like crap. I also am not a fan of the android tablet operating system on a car, I have it in another vehicle and generally don't like it.

This seems ideal. Press and hold menu and up pops android auto or car play, then you can go back to the idrive system if you want.

Just curious if anyone has given this a shot and has feedback before I spend the cash to try it out.

Ebay

Aliexpress
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 08:54 PM   #2
BigZ88
Cap'n Winky
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

No experience but this definitely seems like the best option. I’ve heard install can be a pain though.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 11:21 PM   #3
dfox
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah, it looks to be a pain... lots of components need to come out. There's one review on the aliexpress product. I think I'm going to give it a shot, I've done a lot of car stereo installs in the past, even had my own out-of-the-garage company selling and doing installs, I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out. I really have grown accustom to having android auto in my cars, it's a bit of a pain to not have it.

I may wait until winter for this one, when my convertible will likely sit in the garage for a while.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 04:28 AM   #4
NonoxX
Private
France
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i DKG FBO

Hi! A friend of mine has a similar product in his E82. Fitment is not that easy, but not that difficult. As commented on AliExpress, the best place seems to be on top of the glovebox.

Otherwise, user experience is really good and you will practically never come back to the OEM screens (except for maintenance related things).

My friend's unit is a bit different though, as audio connects to the MOST bus, for better sound quality. Drawback is it requires a dedicated mic for bluetooth, as using the existing one doesn't seem to work very well.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 1
dfox618.00
      07-25-2023, 01:46 PM   #5
dfox
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonoxX View Post
Hi! A friend of mine has a similar product in his E82. Fitment is not that easy, but not that difficult. As commented on AliExpress, the best place seems to be on top of the glovebox.

Otherwise, user experience is really good and you will practically never come back to the OEM screens (except for maintenance related things).

My friend's unit is a bit different though, as audio connects to the MOST bus, for better sound quality. Drawback is it requires a dedicated mic for bluetooth, as using the existing one doesn't seem to work very well.

Hope this helps
Curious, do you know what unit your friend has? I haven't committed to anything yet at this point and better audio quality is certainly ideal.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 04:02 AM   #6
NonoxX
Private
France
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i DKG FBO

It is the MR12Volts one. Definitely not the cheapest option, but he's happy with it.

After a quick look it turns out that they upgraded it and a new version taking advantage of OEM microphones is out: https://www.mr12volt.com/products/p2000-cicmm

It looks like it is the best option at the moment from a technical point of view, but still significantly more expensive than the AliBay options out there. See for yourself wether the difference is worth it...

Another thing to know is that by using those MOST options, you either sacrifice the CD charger if you have it, or need to get the car coded if you don't. Shouldn't be a big deal though.
Appreciate 1
dfox618.00
      07-27-2023, 10:54 AM   #7
dfox
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for that, really appreciate it. I'll give it a look. On the surface it looks like a better option than the generic ones from China. Twice the price but it's still not going to break the bank.

I don't think I have a CD changer, and honestly haven't used a CD in a car in like 8 years? Oh, the days of flipping through my big CD binder while driving down the road...
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 01:52 PM   #8
dfox
First Lieutenant
Rep

For anyone who finds this thread... this has a wealth of information about the unit.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...852418&page=70

I'm going to be grabbing this one and putting in a rearview camera as well. Probably will wait until summer is over and the car is mostly in the garage to tackle this project, but looking forward to getting AA in the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 02:17 AM   #9
trcydaman
Rep
Drives: '20 M2 Competition

For anyone wondering about the install process for the Mr12volt, my friend and I documented the process and uploaded the video on YT. The most cumbersome part is removing all the trim pieces to get the wiring sorted out. The first unit that we got (the 2021 version) was defective, so Mr12volt sent us a replacement which worked flawlessly. The updated unit is much easier to install IMO because the antennas are built into the unit. Anyway, check the video out if you're curious.

2002 Honda S2000
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 06:17 AM   #10
LOLMEE
Rep
Drives: E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by trcydaman View Post
For anyone wondering about the install process for the Mr12volt, my friend and I documented the process and uploaded the video on YT. The most cumbersome part is removing all the trim pieces to get the wiring sorted out. The first unit that we got (the 2021 version) was defective, so Mr12volt sent us a replacement which worked flawlessly. The updated unit is much easier to install IMO because the antennas are built into the unit. Anyway, check the video out if you're curious.

Interesting, thanks for the share. I think in the Road Top MMI Box you dont need to use the microphone or aux its all bluethoot atleast from what i saw in this forum.
Appreciate 0