BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-02-2024, 01:51 AM   #1
golfer23rm
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 125i E82 Bluewater

Android in-dash radio

Good Day,

I am considering installing an android radio for the carplay.
The unit will replace the Professional radio and drop the ac controls lower.
The top mount that replaced the storage bin was considered but with research, many guys complained about the distance to screen as you have to use an idrive style controller and lose a cup holder.....in a small car i dont want to do that or drill into the side for the one on the passenger side.

my question is to the guys who have installed one, does it work with the factory MULF2, BT, aux and usb?

02-03-2024, 12:12 PM   #2
N55e82Simon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2011 bmw 135i  [9.33]
I have one. It does eliminate the factory aux and usb. With can bus decoder the steering wheel controls work ish (sometimes the buttons are slow). Factory Bluetooth is lost but new headunit has everything. Wireless CarPlay, Bluetooth etc. I ran my mic to the factory location but the aftermarket mics are never as good so call quality isn’t great for the other party. Sounds great in the car though.
Appreciate 2
      02-03-2024, 02:36 PM   #3
golfer23rm
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N55e82Simon View Post
I have one. It does eliminate the factory aux and usb. With can bus decoder the steering wheel controls work ish (sometimes the buttons are slow). Factory Bluetooth is lost but new headunit has everything. Wireless CarPlay, Bluetooth etc. I ran my mic to the factory location but the aftermarket mics are never as good so call quality isn’t great for the other party. Sounds great in the car though.
thank you so much for the answer!

at least i know what work is involved.

i guess i could look at selling the old mulf2 and recouping some costs.
      02-03-2024, 02:45 PM   #4
golfer23rm
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

are you LHD or RHD?

does the mic cable run along the drivers side A Pillar?
Im RHD, so thinking its probably on the right
      02-03-2024, 05:07 PM   #5
N55e82Simon
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2011 bmw 135i  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer23rm View Post
are you LHD or RHD?

does the mic cable run along the drivers side A Pillar?
Im RHD, so thinking its probably on the right
I’m lhd and yes I did run it up the pillar and under the headliner to the light cluster. To be fair it looks great but might work better in another location. I also did a trunk release handle back up camera and that is a nice OEM looking upgrade too. Overall pretty happy with everything. Wireless CarPlay can lag to connect sometimes but overall pretty good.
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2024, 05:16 PM   #6
N55e82Simon
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2011 bmw 135i  [9.33]
Most people think it’s factory but they are not typical car people. I think it’s fine but do kinda miss the factory Hu. If it had built in Bluetooth for music I probably would have never changed it. But when I did then I decided it made sense to do the backup camera as I have grown ever used to them in all modern cars. It replaces the trunk release and looks very OEM as many car manufacturers do it that way.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      02-10-2024, 05:00 AM   #7
st0nge
Rep
Drives: 135i

Thumbs up

Quote:
Most people think it’s factory but they are not typical car people. I think it’s fine but do kinda miss the factory Hu. If it had built in Bluetooth for music I probably would have never changed it. But when I did then I decided it made sense to do the backup camera as I have grown ever used to them in all modern cars. It replaces the trunk release and looks very OEM as many car manufacturers do it that way.
Do you have a link to this specific unit? It actually looks pretty clean compared to most I've seen as far as fitment and OEM-looks goes ��
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 07:10 AM   #8
golfer23rm
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
yeah, i have my phone on a magnetic mount above the radio for spotify and maps so one of these will make a big difference. i would have also kept the factory radio but need some modern comforts. i am also going the route of installing the camera with the handle and screen at the same time.
      02-17-2024, 02:39 PM   #9
N55e82Simon
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2011 bmw 135i  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by st0nge View Post
Do you have a link to this specific unit? It actually looks pretty clean compared to most I've seen as far as fitment and OEM-looks goes 👍
The one I bought is no longer available but it seems to be this one. Or very similar.
I bought the truck camera separately for the OEM look.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/36449144452...mis&media=COPY
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 02:42 PM   #10
N55e82Simon
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2011 bmw 135i  [9.33]
Here is the camera I used. This worked perfectly fwiw.

https://a.co/d/bpIL0EP
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 10:51 PM   #11
geobanko
Registered
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

****Please help****
So I installed this unit described above. Had no sound at all and did research and found out I needed the analog to optical adapter. I got that install and now I have sound but is wayyyy low and with it turned all the way up. Does anyone have any ideas on what's going on. Also this is one blue wire that says amp cont should that be put somewhere or just not connected. The optical adapter I used is this one
https://avinusa.com/most-fiber-optic...7-e88-e89.html

I'm def proficient in wiring and stereos but this has me stumped.

Tnx for any info helping guys.

Btw e82 with the logic7 HK system I believe.
Appreciate 0