BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-05-2014, 02:05 PM   #1
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Rotor swap wear pattern

I recently noticed cracks on my stock rotors (17k miles, 7 track days, 4 of those on PFC-08s) in addition to a small lip that's about 1 cm wide extending in from the outer edge of the rotor edge, in addition to a similar lip extending in from the inner edge of the rotor. Oddly, the brake pads cover the entire rotor, so I'm assuming that this rotor wear pattern reflects the pressure exerted directly by the single caliper piston versus less pressure out on the inner/outer edges of the rotor.

I installed a pair of PFC DD V2 rotors and drove around yesterday with the OEM pads. To my surprise the inner and outer edges of the rotor seem relatively untouched and seem to -roughly- match up with the width of raised lip on the stock rotors. Only the center of the PFC friction ring shows significant contact with brake pad.

To the naked eye my track pads and stock pads all look symmetric, without any signs of uneven wear or asymmetric tapering.

Just curious about whether you've seen this before or if you have any thoughts on this. I don't want to bung up a spendy pair of rotors with a suboptimal breaking-in process.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 03:31 PM   #2
Splinterz88
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.86]
I have had the lip develop on my stock rotors using PFC 08 pads for the last 2 track seasons (18 days and ~14000k miles). I believe it may be a result of the rubber bushing in the stock calipers. I am thinking that maybe putting the solid brake guides in place of the rubber may help even out the pad wear, but I believe the lip at the edge will still be there. Hopefully some others will chime in.
#446 of 740
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 08:46 PM   #3
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Regarding the solid guides take a look at:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14556982
You can search for additional posts by lutfy ... he has had some very good results with the guides.

I ended up installing swapping pads to some new PFC Z-rated pads and the wear seems to be evening out. I didn't have the patience to see if the wear from the used OEMs would even out on the rotor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinterz88 View Post
I have had the lip develop on my stock rotors using PFC 08 pads for the last 2 track seasons (18 days and ~14000k miles). I believe it may be a result of the rubber bushing in the stock calipers. I am thinking that maybe putting the solid brake guides in place of the rubber may help even out the pad wear, but I believe the lip at the edge will still be there. Hopefully some others will chime in.
Appreciate 0