Supreme Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: crazy

Garage List
2007 VW GTI  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
< 16k miles recorded, clutch = donesky!

Brought my car in for regular service this morning for fluids change and some other minor stuff and as I am driving to the shop I notice an unfamiliar burnt "something" type smell - did a visual inspection inside engine compartment and underneath car on the side or road with nothing noticed out of ordinary. I explained to the shop what happened when I turn the car in and they tell me the clutch is blown. Car has less than 16k miles and had it since Dec. 2011 as original owner. Call me a p***y all you want but I haven't really even pushed it that much including no track time. The shop hinted that it will be covered under warranty but also hinted that it is considered a "consumable".

advice/thoughts? Hope I don't have to battle with the shop about it and it just gets replaced under warranty coverage.

And as I drive this "other # series loaner" to work and back I feel like my nuts have been cut off. ;(

Last edited by ethanh8791; 02-27-2013 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: poor grammar
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Don't understand your concern about "consumable". Brake pads, rotors, and windshield wipers are all consumable and are covered under our warranty.

Burning smell is one thing, but did you notice any difference in the clutch engagement or slippage? If you didn't, it's hard to imagine that you had a blown clutch. I would ask for them to show you the blown clutch when you pick up your car.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
ethanh8791
Supreme Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 VW GTI  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
The car was operating fine even after the noticed odor. No clutch issues at all. Since the car is only about a year old and no modifications done I got a bit defensive when the SA even suggested it might be considered non-warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 10:48 PM   #4
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
My clutch doesn't grab with the same gusto as when new, but I am crossing my fingers and hoping it is just "broken in" rather than dying. I have not been hard on it. I have never worn out a clutch in any car I owned, some of which I drove to well over 100K miles. If it dies young, I will definitely ask for warranty replacement!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 11:28 PM   #5
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
Burning smell is one thing, but did you notice any difference in the clutch engagement or slippage? If you didn't, it's hard to imagine that you had a blown clutch. I would ask for them to show you the blown clutch when you pick up your car.
Agree with this....
      02-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #6
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

I am actually not that surprised by this issue at the mileage .. I have kinda wondered my self... and I have felt some minor slippage, or at least the grip seems to have changed, just like Carjunkie. I still have the clutch delay valve for this very reason in the event mine fails anytime soon. Consumables are covered, so unless there is evidence of absolute abuse.... you should be ok. please keep us updated!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #7
ZA_1M
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

I had a burn't clutch with 3000km.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 01:28 PM   #8
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Clutch es wearing out early was an issue on early 135s aswell. Just fight them, BMW has the logs of your car from the key so youre in the position with power.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 02:36 PM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Your rear engine crankshaft seal could be leaking oil onto your clutch. BMW has had a problem with the seals either leaking or causing a strange oscillating/cricket type noise on decell revs. Even if the rear seal is ok, I would still push BMW to cover the clutch job. It can be up too $3K at the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 05:15 AM   #10
1swift1
I pass gas for a living.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Were you using a clutch stop?

I'm only at 7K miles, and haven't had issues yet, but my father (mechanic) warned me about using too aggressive a setting on the clutch stop. It honestly feels as if nothing is spinning or touching along the drivetrain when I have the clutch pushed in, but I have little to no deadspace, which is what I like. However, my dad mentioned about certain parts wearing out early if the pedal isn't pushed in enough.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #11
DooBs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe 697/740

Quote:
Don't understand your concern about "consumable". Brake pads, rotors, and windshield wipers are all consumable and are covered under our warranty.

I took my car in for service and ever since it returned I feel like there is a difference in the clutch engagement. Softer and lighter feel. is this something to worry about? or did i just get the clutch down/break it in haha

L1MTD

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #12
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DooBs View Post
I took my car in for service and ever since it returned I feel like there is a difference in the clutch engagement. Softer and lighter feel. is this something to worry about? or did i just get the clutch down/break it in haha
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 10:45 PM   #13
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
This is exactly what happened with mine. As I was told the clutch wears a specific color when driven rough and shows unevenness in signs of abuse. I knew I hadn't driven it rough but they still had to confirm that it wasn't because of my driving habits (they tried to tell me that I ride the clutch on a ride along, when I was babying the re-engagement due to the CDV). I was told if its less than 10-15k miles they'll replace it without batting an eyelash.

Best of luck! I hope yours gets replaced under warranty cause it is an expensive fix!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 06:56 AM   #14
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
This is exactly what happened with mine. As I was told the clutch wears a specific color when driven rough and shows unevenness in signs of abuse. I knew I hadn't driven it rough but they still had to confirm that it wasn't because of my driving habits (they tried to tell me that I ride the clutch on a ride along, when I was babying the re-engagement due to the CDV). I was told if its less than 10-15k miles they'll replace it without batting an eyelash.

Best of luck! I hope yours gets replaced under warranty cause it is an expensive fix!
The whole purpose of the CDV (which I've removed) is that you don't have to baby the clutch since it does it for you. If, indeed, you still have the CDV and you are babying the clutch at the point of engagement, it would lead to premature wear.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #15
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
The whole purpose of the CDV (which I've removed) is that you don't have to baby the clutch since it does it for you. If, indeed, you still have the CDV and you are babying the clutch at the point of engagement, it would lead to premature wear.

Neil
I had no idea.
What I mean is this, since I am coming from the JDM world, I am used to tapping the clutch for both engagement and reengagement. I am not used to having it have two different points of action. If I release it the same correct way that I do on my Integra, the 1 will shudder/shake(even when rev matching).
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #16
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Your rear engine crankshaft seal could be leaking oil onto your clutch. BMW has had a problem with the seals either leaking or causing a strange oscillating/cricket type noise on decell revs. Even if the rear seal is ok, I would still push BMW to cover the clutch job. It can be up too $3K at the dealer.
Just wondering: was that the cause of those "chirping" 1M's ?
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=662661
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666668
(also reported in the 1M issues log: waste gate rattle: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...27&postcount=1)
      03-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #17
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooBs View Post
There's your answer to why the test drive tech was still glowing and all smiles when you picked up the car...
      03-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #18
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1swift1 View Post
I'm only at 7K miles, and haven't had issues yet, but my father (mechanic) warned me about using too aggressive a setting on the clutch stop. It honestly feels as if nothing is spinning or touching along the drivetrain when I have the clutch pushed in, but I have little to no deadspace, which is what I like. However, my dad mentioned about certain parts wearing out early if the pedal isn't pushed in enough.
+1

For those who don't know what a "clutch stop" is. It's a small device allowing you not to push the clutch to maximum position: see http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602966 - http://www.clutchstopper.com/index.html - http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...E:L:OC:US:1123).

If you got a clutch stop, or you have the driving habit not to push the clutch till its maximum position, and the clutch has to be replaced earlier than normal, then that might be a likely cause.

Name:  ClutchStop.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  14.4 KB
Name:  ClutchStop2.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  11.7 KB
      03-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #19
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Just wondering: was that the cause of those "chirping" 1M's ?
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=662661
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666668
(also reported in the 1M issues log: waste gate rattle: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...27&postcount=1)

I know it was the culprit on 135i's. I assume it would fix 1M's too.

I have that cricket noise on my 135i... but it doesn't bother me that much to have the trans pulled and fixed. I only hear it after I have been driving for more than an hour and driving very slowly in the city. I suppose when my clutch goes out... I will replace that $30 crankshaft seal along with the other clutch parts.

BTW... I am no fan of a clutch stop. To me it does not allow for full release of the clutch - when shifting. Which means more clutch wear and more trans internal wear. Nein Danke.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 07:24 PM   #20
ethanh8791
Supreme Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 VW GTI  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
SO when I first brought the car in they hinted at it possibly being non-warranty but they have since rescinded that statement and are repairing it at no charge.

This does however concern me going forward as this car is my daily driver. I imagine the clutch in these cars are a lot more fragile than typical? I've had 3x MT cars prior to this and prob. over 300k miles combined w/o ever having clutch issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #21
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
If your clutch was fine after the odor, I highly doubt your clutch was blown. Enjoy your new free clutch.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #22
ethanh8791
Supreme Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 VW GTI  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
If your clutch was fine after the odor, I highly doubt your clutch was blown. Enjoy your new free clutch.
Yah I dunno man - just going off of what they said. I drove it in to the dealership no problem so obv. it wasn't completely F'd.
Appreciate 0