E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Why only old bluetooth phones?

01-02-2006, 10:21 AM   #1
Helmar
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi, Barrique red

Why only old bluetooth phones?

I'm awaiting delivery of a 2006 330xi.

I'll use the phone almost exclusively from the car, so I want to purchase a new bluetooth compatible phone and install a phone cradle.

In reviewing the list of phones with cradles that are compatible with the car, they're all at least a year old, and most are discontinued by the carrier.

Is there a newer list that shows recent bluetooth phones that can be used with a cradle on the car?

If not, why is BMW so slow to support current phones?

HBH

2006 330xi Barrique red, manual transmission
Beige w/Dakota Leather Upholstery
Poplar Natural Wood Trim
Premium package
Cold Weather Package
Comfort Access
Active Cruise Control
Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 10:31 AM   #2
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmar

I'll use the phone almost exclusively from the car, so I want to purchase a new bluetooth compatible phone and install a phone cradle.

In reviewing the list of phones with cradles that are compatible with the car, they're all at least a year old, and most are discontinued by the carrier.

Is there a newer list that shows recent bluetooth phones that can be used with a cradle on the car?

HBH

2006 330xi Barrique red, manual transmission
Beige w/Dakota Leather Upholstery
Poplar Natural Wood Trim
Premium package
Cold Weather Package
Comfort Access
Active Cruise Control
Park Distance Control
Curious... when you are talking on your phone, who is driving your car? I ride a motorcycle for much of the year and almost everytime someone changes lanes without a signal or without looking or both (and a few times almost ran me over in the process if I wasn't driving for them) the person is on the phone. Handsfree or not, I am curious if someone else drives for you while you talk?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 10:43 AM   #3
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

The phone manufacturer actually supplies the correct cradle design to BMW.

So if the manufacturer doesnt want to design a cradle, BMW doesnt make it.

Another problem is a number of the new phones dont have a way to connect to a external antenna. So if you put them in the armrest in a charger they will loose signal. So BMW cannot provide cradles for them.

Another problem is phones that dont have easy to connect to "docking' pins.
Like some motorola phones have a small port on the side, making it very hard to install in a cradle, and even if it may work on say a LHD car, it wont work on a RHD car. So again for these phones BMW cannot provide cradles
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 10:45 AM   #4
Helmar
Rep

epiphone3:

While using the phone, I'll be driving, of course.

As a motorcycylist myself (Yamaha Virago 1100), I understand your frustration at distracted automobile drivers, but the fact is that there are many driver distractions in cars, and very few in motorcycles.

While driving, should you avoid:

Tuning your radio to a new station or adjusting the volume?

Changing the temperature or setting the window defrost on or off?

Drinking coffee? (You might say YES to this one, but think. The cup-holder suggests that BMW believes this is acceptable practice.)

Searching your armrest box for tokens when approching a toll?

Using the I-Drive AT ALL for ANYTHING?

Talking to the passanger with occational eye contact? (My favorite joke: When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, peacefully in his sleep. Not YELLING and SCREAMING like the passangers in his car!)

HBH
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 10:52 AM   #5
Meatnog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3
Curious... when you are talking on your phone, who is driving your car? I ride a motorcycle for much of the year and almost everytime someone changes lanes without a signal or without looking or both (and a few times almost ran me over in the process if I wasn't driving for them) the person is on the phone. Handsfree or not, I am curious if someone else drives for you while you talk?
What are you doing looking into their cars to see what they are up to? Shouldn't you be keeping your eyes on the road?
      01-02-2006, 11:27 AM   #6
espo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:

I can see the idea of BMW using bluetooth as the only link method since it is "supposed" to be a universal way to link devices together. The "hard wire" links of the older phones are all properity and would require a seperate profile of each type of phone.

When I went to pick up my car I was in the same boat, I have an older phone without bluetooth and was looking at getting a new phone. My CA asked what service I have and told me what current phones from them they have gotten to work in the car...
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 11:30 AM   #7
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
On the driving while talking on the phone thing - One of the main features for me in the E9x is the bluetooth. I had a hands free phone in a MB and got very used to that. I personally do not like to hold a cell phone while driving, as I find it VERY distracting and I know it lessens my attention to the road. However, with hands free I am generally not distracted. Occasionally I will say "hold on a moment" to the caller if I need to concentrate on traffic (merging, left turn, etc.).

I do agree that overall cell phones are a menace. Most drivers are challenged enough by their tiny little brains as it is - talking on the phone makes them even worse. I support the anti-cell phone laws that state you cannot be holding a phone.

With my long commute, I see it all: women applying makeup, men trying to read the paper, people eating, yelling at the kids in the back seat... you name it.

Back to topic though - I think part of the blame falls on the cell phone carriers as E90Fleet mentioned, but some also on BMW. Let's face it, BMW is no industry leader in cool technology - especially electronic.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 11:33 AM   #8
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatnog
What are you doing looking into their cars to see what they are up to? Shouldn't you be keeping your eyes on the road?
Actually, you can't help but take a look when you pull up to the next red-light and try and see the dick-head who almost killed you because he is not driving with due care.

My eyes are always on the road.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 11:38 AM   #9
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
I always look at stupid drivers. And I want them to see me looking at them. I want them to see the "what are you a fucking moron" look on my face.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 11:41 AM   #10
Helmar
Rep

Quote:
Actually, you can't help but take a look when you pull up to the next red-light and try and see the dick-head who almost killed you because he is not driving with due care.

My eyes are always on the road.
Really?

So you NEVER look in the rear view mirrors, or at the speedometer?

Or at pretty girls passing by?

HBH
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 11:43 AM   #11
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Really?

So you NEVER look in the rear view mirrors, or at the speedometer?

Or at pretty girls passing by?

HBH
Obviously the speed-o and the rearview. Girls when I am stopped. If you don't have 110% attention on a bike, you will die. Pure and simple.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 11:54 AM   #12
espo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
I personally do not like to hold a cell phone while driving, as I find it VERY distracting and I know it lessens my attention to the road. However, with hands free I am generally not distracted. Occasionally I will say "hold on a moment" to the caller if I need to concentrate on traffic (merging, left turn, etc.).
Can't drive a manual and hold a cell phone!!! I even do that when I'm talking to my wife who is in the car with me... She's gotten used to it and thinks it's actually a good idea, never been into an accident.

Quote:
I do agree that overall cell phones are a menace. Most drivers are challenged enough by their tiny little brains as it is - talking on the phone makes them even worse. I support the anti-cell phone laws that state you cannot be holding a phone.

With my long commute, I see it all: women applying makeup, men trying to read the paper, people eating, yelling at the kids in the back seat... you name it.
I agree with the "most drivers are challenged" part, however I hate governments legislating responsibilty. It's much like gun control laws, there are already laws on the books about careless driving, lets enforce them instead of just creating more... I would love to see somebody in an SUV pulled over for turning around and yell at there kids during which they just appeared in my lane (happens too many times). That is distracted driving and should be fined also... We have gotten soo content driving these land missiles that noone even thinks twice about these things anymore.. While safety features have made accidents less sever in terms of injuries (which is a good thing), they haven't reduced the number of them happening. How many times have you seen someone rear end somebody else in a traffic jam because they were not paying attention!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 12:00 PM   #13
Helmar
Rep

Not to get picky, but....

Quote:
If you don't have 110% attention on a bike, you will die. Pure and simple.
I agree with you're comment about full attention on a bike. My wife was a medical examiner and had many "Clients" from a bike, most (but not all) without helmets.

But I wasn't talking about a bike.

I was talking about driving a car, which is completely different.

Actually, I wasn't even talking about that, but about the problem with selecting a phone for the car!

HBH
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 12:21 PM   #14
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

back on topic for a second, sorry guys

um, you don't need the cradle for it to work. The cradle and adapter are 3-5 hundred dollars and you don't even need the thing

just get the car and forget the cradle
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 12:35 PM   #15
Helmar
Rep

Ward,

As I said in my original post, I'll be keeping the phone in the car all of the time.

I need the cradle to keep the phone charged.

I'd also like the (somewhat) increased reception from using the cradle.

I'm currently planning on the Sony Ericsson T637. Anyone with any experience with this?

HBH
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 12:42 PM   #16
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
The phone manufacturer actually supplies the correct cradle design to BMW.

So if the manufacturer doesnt want to design a cradle, BMW doesnt make it.
Yes, they do but only for top selling models and usually upon mutual agreement from BMW and the mobile mfr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
Another problem is a number of the new phones dont have a way to connect to a external antenna. So if you put them in the armrest in a charger they will lose signal. So BMW cannot provide cradles for them.
This is not a problem. If there is no connector for an external aerial, the mobile will not lose the signal since it won´t know any better. If won´t benefit from the external aerial of course, but it won´t lose anything either.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 07:51 PM   #17
Meatnog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Sedan

Quote:
Ward,

As I said in my original post, I'll be keeping the phone in the car all of the time.

I need the cradle to keep the phone charged.

I'd also like the (somewhat) increased reception from using the cradle.

I'm currently planning on the Sony Ericsson T637. Anyone with any experience with this?

HBH
There is a lighter outlet in the center console, just put the phone in there, plug it in and be done with it. You don't need the adaptor, really.