BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-16-2008, 01:28 PM   #23
arrutled
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Olsa

do you think you could get your garage port to be E - 82?

AW 135i w/ blackette, performance short shift kit, BMW alarm, Performance rotors, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Direzza Star Spec 235/275, Dinan stage 3 suspension, M3 wishbones/tension rods/front sway/rear subframe bushings and thats all folks!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 07:43 PM   #24
denial
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Duckw,

That's exactly what I think you should do--to get the front sway bar first seeing how it's a pretty easy install. I'm pretty sure you're going to be quite pleased (basing this roughly on my setup with the new front sway).

Mastamind,

One of the reasons why I opted for the BMW OEM route was that I assumed (for better or worse) that they knew what they were doing and had did their homework when offering the kit. And thus far with my limited driving experience I can say that my assumption is probably more right than wrong :wink:

arrutled,

no way man. that'd be way to far from my apartment. :smile:

BTW did anyone notice anything different about my rear diffuser? (it is kinda hard to see with the lighting...)
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 09:46 PM   #25
Duckw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, 2010 VW Sportwagen

Denial,

You really know how to twist a fellow's arm. I've just ordered the front bar. Thanks for the encouragement. I'll let you know how it works out.
      10-23-2008, 04:45 PM   #26
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan@UnitedBMW View Post
I'm glad you enjoy it. I wish I was able to get a decent write up a lot sooner, but I only drive the cars for less than 5 minutes a piece.
You might want to clarify on your website that the performance suspension really is an upgrade for the 135i. I thought it might actually be stock 135i suspension intended as an upgrade for 128i's.
      10-23-2008, 04:54 PM   #27
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by denial View Post
MastaMind, atr_hugo,

Yes, I did get the optional springs (the yellow ones). Driving the car to and from work (again) the one thing I notice now much more than ever before is the limitation of the stock tires. Call me crazy but before the car would just roll and lean soaking up the weight of the car in a turn. Now the car stays flat, transferring more weight onto the tires, causing, frankly, less grip. Need to get some proper tires to make the most of it. Another thing that I noticed today is that the car has a much easier time rotating as opposed to lean/roll/lean/push. Just turn, give it some throttle, and it voila the car remains flat and rotates nicely.

penny,

I didn't quite measure the gaps. But I can tell you the fronts / rears are a "two finger" gap, rears being ever so sightly tighter than the fronts. Check your PM's.
The easiest way to measure ride height is from the fender lip to the ground, centered at the axle. Yes, my ruler isn't perfectly vertical but it was only sitting like that so I could take the picture.

10-23-2008, 06:11 PM   #28
one-35
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckw View Post
Denial,

I am definitely going to go the swaybar route. I had planned to get the Sway Barbarian set, but I might be talked into buying just the front bar and trying that first. The rear bar is after all a real bear to install, and there isn't all that much saving in buying the pair together as opposed to separately. It appears your setup replaces only the front and you appear to be satisfied with the result. Perhaps, even without the rest of the mods in your BMW setup, I might find just the front bar kills enough of the lean to make me happy. I'm not really unhappy now, but coming from a MINI and before that a Porsche 996, I have been accustomed to much flatter cornering. (And my previous BMWs have all had Konis or Bilsteins and aftermarket sway bars.) I must say, though, that with the Star Specs the 135, lean and all, corners faster than either the MINI or the Carerra. I'd bet that with these tires the R&T slalom time would be one or two mph greater than the 70.6 they pulled. The car sticks amazingly. When I get the front bar on, I'll try to remember to post some impressions.

DuckW, I have a very similar SGM 135i to yours. :wink:
I feel the same re: excessive body roll and am also considering adding a front sway only (H & R). My '99 Miata turned much flatter (like a go kart). Unfortunately, I still have the OEM RFTs. I'm thinking about going to PS2s, PZeros, or RE01As next.

BTW, do you happen to know a long-time BMWCCA racer named Bud (in Cincy)? He's my friend's (Amee S.) uncle and races old M3s.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2008, 07:49 AM   #29
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

Hey Denial, any updates on your impressions? Are you still happy with the performance, and has it settled close to your liking?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 07:56 PM   #30
denial
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Update:

I guess the best way to put this would be that I firmly believe that this is the suspension what should have been "stock" on the car. It's just hard to explain. I get in the car, I drive to work, and I don't even realize it's there. But when I finally do take the car through its paces, it simply shines. This is exactly what I wanted, and exactly what a great handling stock setup should do.

As far as springs settling, yes they car definitely sits a little lower than when I took it home the first day. To be honest, I still would prefer an ever so slightly lower look (~1/8" lower perhaps?). However, the car is now low enough to give off a subtle aggressive stance.

All I need now is a decent set of wheels to match.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 06:11 AM   #31
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep

Cool, thanks for the insightful update. It actually makes perfect sense when you say "this is the suspension what should have been stock" since the standard suspension is softer than expected.

I'm really torn between getting the BMW Performance suspension and waiting to see what Dinan releases for the 135.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 12:39 PM   #32
Yearofthe1
An ex-addict :-(
Rep
Drives: VFR1200F

Denial - I just need to ask this of someone who has actually gotten the BMW Performance Susp. - what exactly do you get with this kit? You ordered from Dan@United, right? So you difinitely have to order the springs from him separately? The BMW website is so vague on what you get, I just would like a line by line listing of what you get with this kit. Main thing I'm concerned about is whether or not a front and rear sway bar is included.

Thanks!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
-Michael and Ellen Kaplan
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 05:02 PM   #33
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep

Yearofthe1, here is a parts list (copied from Dan's thread):

Kit includes:
- Rear Stabiliser (Not required for Parts Kit # 33 50 0 444 831)
- Front Stabiliser
- Front McPherson Struts (2)
- Rear Shock Absorbers (2)
- Bottom Spring Supports (4)
- Top Spring Supports (4)
- Front Stabiliser arm rubber bearing (2)
- Rear Stabiliser arm rubber bearing (not required for kit # 33 50 0 444 831)
- Rear auxiliary shock absorber (2)
- Front auxiliary shock absorber (2)
- Supporting bearings lower section
- All fastening pieces

The springs are purchased separately from the above package. Assuming you have a sports package equipped 135, you don't need/get the rear sway bar, as it mentions above.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 05:17 PM   #34
pietrostone
Registered
Rep
Drives:

I've purchased the kit for my 1series (123d).

The kit is the same of the for 135i

here some photos...

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 07:43 PM   #35
denial
Second Lieutenant
Rep

wow you guys are fast. Here are some more pictures of the parts:

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 07:46 PM   #36
denial
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yearofthe1 View Post
Denial - I just need to ask this of someone who has actually gotten the BMW Performance Susp. - what exactly do you get with this kit? You ordered from Dan@United, right? So you difinitely have to order the springs from him separately? The BMW website is so vague on what you get, I just would like a line by line listing of what you get with this kit. Main thing I'm concerned about is whether or not a front and rear sway bar is included.

Thanks!!
just to be uber clear, yes you need to get the springs separately (quantity 2 fronts, 2 rears).

if you have the sport package 135i and you get this suspension package, it WILL include a new front sway bar but WILL NOT include a new rear sway bar. if you have any other model you WILL get both sway bars.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 12:31 AM   #37
Yearofthe1
An ex-addict :-(
Rep
Drives: VFR1200F

Thank you guys for clearing this up for me!

Denial - I think your write up describes exactly what I'm looking for in a suspension upgrade. I'll be upgrading soon!! Thanks!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
-Michael and Ellen Kaplan
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 06:03 PM   #38
denial
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeak View Post
need more wheel tuck
totally agreed.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 03:12 AM   #39
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by denial View Post
just to be uber clear, yes you need to get the springs separately (quantity 2 fronts, 2 rears).

if you have the sport package 135i and you get this suspension package, it WILL include a new front sway bar but WILL NOT include a new rear sway bar. if you have any other model you WILL get both sway bars.
I thought that the 135i only comes with one type of suspension which is M suspension , or am I wrong?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 04:10 AM   #40
imported_erick
normally aspirated
Rep
Drives: 128i

I really wanted to avoid modding the car but this sounds like the perfect kit along with some ps2's or advan sports.
      11-14-2008, 12:19 PM   #41
kazak
Registered
Rep
Drives:

This is my first time participating in this thread, so be kind folks! I thought I would add my impression of mods I am making to my 135i for those who are not track demons, but spend their time on the open road.

I had test driven the car a number of times before I finally decided to purchase in March 08 - delivered in May 08. I decided upon an auto (after owning manuals for 35 years) principally because on the streets, there is no way I could shift the way this slushbox gets through the gears. Given that I do quite a bit of city driving also, the choice was pretty clear for me. And, if I want, I still have the paddles to take it down a gear or two in the fast corners.

Before the car was delivered, I had the dealer (Laurel in Westmont, IL) do a Dinan Stage 2 flash. Interestingly enough, there must have been a bug in the software (mid-May) when I had mine done, as the car did not start when the flash was done! The dealer held on to it, Dinan fixed the issue, and the flash works perfectly. I know the dealer must have incurred much more shop time than originally planned, but I didn't see it reflected in my bill - they must have worked through that with Dinan.

The car is fast - no doubt about that. And certainly has far more torque than the testers I drove, with the Dinan flash. While the Dinan is expensive, after dropping more than 40k on the car, there is a certain comfort knowing someone will back up the mod. Since I gave up working on my own cars anymore (no time for that), it was the right solution for me. As for turbo lag, I can safely say there is very little discernable to this road warrior.

Today, I dropped the car off with my mechanic to install the performance suspension (thanks Dan@United !). I had a minor shipping problem with the parts - FedEx must have bounced the package around considerably in transit, so the springs came loose and bounced around in the package, chipping three of the four (cosmetic damage only). Dan indicated he would be happy to replace them, but as it turns out, my mechanic indicated he could easily touch them up, so I'm going ahead with the install today. I'll give my impression on the drivability of the car with the upgraded suspension in a couple of days, after I have put some mileage on it. The parts were under $1400, shipped second day, and my mechanic quoted $600 to do the installation (8 hours). One hell of a lot cheaper than going to BMW!

As far as the 135i goes, given that this is my daily driver - a Dinan tune and performance suspension - I say this is going to be the most fun one can have for under $50k! More to come later.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 12:42 PM   #42
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep

Welcome to the forum, kaza, and thanks for taking the time to post your impressions on the Dinan tune. There are several Dinan threads in the Engine/Exhaust/Drivetrain section, so definitely chime in there. Although, I must warn you that there are some Dinan haters, but I wouldn't let that rattle you.

I definitely look forward to your impressions of the new suspension setup. Please, post some pics if you get them!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 01:20 PM   #43
marius
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

hmmm what happens to car warranty when an independent mechanic installs suspension?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 02:15 PM   #44
Bullitt
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Welcome kazak! Looking forward to your assessment of the performance suspension.
Appreciate 0