BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-01-2018, 05:04 PM   #23
SayHack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 128i

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 519.E82 View Post
Thank you very much, any other things you recommend to do would be greatly appreciated. Im moving the car into storage this weekend, and then will start looking more into acquiring the parts
No problem, here are the 3 gaskets you will need (i included the OEM part numbers....again at least for the valve cover gasket, get the OEM, the other two you can go aftermarket if you want)

valve cover Gasket - 11127582245

Valvetronic Gasket - 11127552280

Eccentric Shaft gasket - 11127559699

In addition I suggest also changing the oil filter housing gasket as they are notorious for leaking. This is separate side job but It's much easier and will take 30-45 minutes. Here is the part number for that 11428637821 and there are some good videos on youtube to help if you decide to change that too.

Best of luck

Last edited by SayHack; 09-01-2018 at 07:32 PM..
Appreciate 2
519.E82245.00
Raz1086.00
      09-01-2018, 06:41 PM   #24
Raz108
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 128i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNS View Post
Reading this is perplexing. The valve cover on my E46 takes about 20-30 minutes to get off. Just as easy getting back on, too.
Yeah, this job was odd. There is just a ton of stuff in the way.

Putting the valve cover back on was a lot easier than removal. took me 3 hours to put it all back together. The difficulties of putting it back together was the rear three bolts. I could not get them to sit initially, there was a vacuum line in the way, keep that in mind when installing. After getting the vaccuum line out of the way, the back three bolts would not thread all the way, something was holding them up. I had to back the VC off and adjust a little bit to get the back 3 to sit correctly. I started threading them first.

Also, there are 2 bolts on the passenger side that actually come off the valve cover, they are also not included with the kit. Be careful that you don't lose the two upon removal, took me a bit trying to relocate the 1 I dropped.

Just take your time when putting everything back together, the valvetronic motor is quite fascinating putting in and out. Inspecting the valve train when the cover is off is quite the view. Everything is so clean and so sophisticated.

I did get hung up the re-learn process. I followed the procedure listed on Pelican Parts, I thought it worked but I was mistaken. Car started fine but then had a #4 cyl misfire. Thought the plug to the coil was not connected properly. I removed the coil pack and inspected the spark plug, looked fine, I swapped #4 with #1 but still had #4 misfire. This was incredibly frustrating. I decided to follow the relearn procedure again, and low and behold, the misfire was gone. The car was ran as it should. I inspected the VC and found no leaks after a 20 minute test drive. It worked, glad I don't have to do this again for another 100k miles. Phew.

In conclusion, do your research and have multiple sources for reference. It's a very rewarding job when you are finished. As stated previously, it's not difficult, it's just frustrating when things get hung up.

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
519.E82245.00
      09-01-2018, 07:41 PM   #25
Raz108
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 128i Sport

Before I forget, in regards to the crank case breather hose, what I thought was the PCV connector to VC. In order to get the clip off, I used 2 flat head screw drivers and pushed them on the thickest sides of the clip and had my helper pull on the hose. That's how we got the hose off the clip without breaking anything. It's super easy to clip back on when the VC is installed, just push it against the VC breather tube and it will just click into place.

Just wanted to put this tip out there since no one has a proper way of getting this off.

Cheers.
Appreciate 1
519.E82245.00
      09-03-2018, 05:37 AM   #26
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz108 View Post
Before I forget, in regards to the crank case breather hose, what I thought was the PCV connector to VC. In order to get the clip off, I used 2 flat head screw drivers and pushed them on the thickest sides of the clip and had my helper pull on the hose. That's how we got the hose off the clip without breaking anything. It's super easy to clip back on when the VC is installed, just push it against the VC breather tube and it will just click into place.

Just wanted to put this tip out there since no one has a proper way of getting this off.

Cheers.
Took this on with you and turned it into a true Labor day weekend.

Another technique for the crankcase breather that was mentioned (and I used) is getting a larger trim pry tool to press against the valve cover while you press the other side as you steadily pull away (firmly but gingerly — yeah I know...contradiction there).

Also, check your rail from the intake manifold side when you reinstall. All the clips need to snap on firmly. About gave me a heart attack when it wouldn't turn over. Re-read the 7 threads and several youtubes only to reinspect and find the clips not solidly in place. Stumbled a little but started right up after that.

I had left it gingerly in place thinking it was hard to get those springs off (great tips to use a screwdriver to push them off btw) so I would secure them for sure later when I had verified that I didn't need to pull the VC again. My eureka moment came when I was reinspecting and "duh" saw the two prongs in the base of each clip where they obviously get power from that goes to the injectors. One of those obvious things that gets you after a ling job. Would have been about 5 hours for me if I hadn't messed up and decided to take a breather. Glad I did.

In hind sight I would also recommend the permatex to keep at least the area at the back of the vcg in place while you're struggling trying to get it up and over. I had to reseat the gasket by touch when it clipped something. Definitely check your gasket with a flashlight and by feel just before you drop it into its final position.

Good luck to all. Use all the tips and even consider that trimming of the wiring box tab for that extra cm of space — might just need it.
Appreciate 2
519.E82245.00
Raz1086.00