BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-08-2008, 08:43 AM   #1
ky_soldier
General of The Universe
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [9.00]
DILEMMA

Ok, here is WEIRD one. Before I solicit advice, let me say that I am a fairly patient guy, don't jump off the deep end when things don't go my way, and don't post pics of a light scratch in the clearcoat asking for people to feel sorry for me. If that was the worst thing that happened to me in a given day I'd consider my self lucky.

That being said, here is my issue ~

Below is the timeline from which I ordered my loaded 135 vert (50k MSRP) from Pentagon Car Sales (military program) whom I have ordered from before and never had this much headache.

early/mid march - talks about which car I wanted, started with an M3, decided on 135 vert
late March - gave initial deposit
3 Apr - placed the order, finalized the paperwork, sent actual PO
8 Apr - received production date of 9 June (little disappointed that it would take a month to get a slot, but so be it
28 May - got an email with the VIN number creation
30 May - actually PAID for the vehicle (financed thru Pentagon Federal CU)
31 May - fedexed the check to Pentagon car sales
early June - car was actually built and sitting at PCS dealership in Germany (my CA even sent me pix of it on 21 Jun)
early June - I took out a German insurance policy to cover it in transit
9 July - CA finally sent customs / shipping docs to me and I filled out and returned next day, was told car would ship right away (finally)
30 July - was told that the car had not shipped yet, didn't know why. CA offered to make one month payment for me ($700)
1 Aug - was told would be on next ship to Baltimore (again)
7 Aug - got a call saying car was BLOCKED from shipping because the name on the check sent from PFCU was incorrect (had dealer and desired name on there), 2 months after the check was sent to them
11 Aug - sent verification that PFCU would reissue the check
27 Aug - new check was recieved in Germany by Pentagon Car Sales
9 Sep - was informed car was on the "Patriot" due to arrive in port on 30 Sep

- So the net is this, I paid for the car and insured it THREE months ago, and its' still sitting in Germany.
- I kept the order and cancelled the original check and resent it
- Should I ask for some additional concessions from BMW? If so, what?
- Should I ask BMW to locate a similar vehicle in the US and sell that to me for a similar price to resolve this quicker?

Thoughts???
1946 Willys CJ-2A
2009 Ferrari 612 Scaglietti OTO
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 08:58 AM   #2
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

odds of finding your car in the US will be slim, do you want an 08? It'll be a wait for an 09 if yours is ready to get on a boat right now

I would take that month payment they offered and hit them up for some performance parts
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 09:03 AM   #3
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky_soldier View Post

Ok, here is WEIRD one. Before I solicit advice, let me say that I am a fairly patient guy, don't jump off the deep end when things don't go my way, and don't post pics of a light scratch in the clearcoat asking for people to feel sorry for me. If that was the worst thing that happened to me in a given day I'd consider my self lucky.

That being said, here is my issue ~

Below is the timeline from which I ordered my loaded 135 vert (50k MSRP) from Pentagon Car Sales (military program) whom I have ordered from before and never had this much headache.

early/mid march - talks about which car I wanted, started with an M3, decided on 135 vert
late March - gave initial deposit
3 Apr - placed the order, finalized the paperwork, sent actual PO
8 Apr - received production date of 9 June (little disappointed that it would take a month to get a slot, but so be it
28 May - got an email with the VIN number creation
30 May - actually PAID for the vehicle (financed thru Pentagon Federal CU)
31 May - fedexed the check to Pentagon car sales
early June - car was actually built and sitting at PCS dealership in Germany (my CA even sent me pix then)
early June - I took out a German insurance policy to cover it in transit
9 July - CA finally sent customs / shipping docs to me and I filled out and returned next day, was told car would ship right away (finally)
30 July - was told that the car had not shipped yet, didn't know why. CA offered to make one month payment for me ($700)
1 Aug - was told would be on next ship to Baltimore (again)
7 Aug - got a call saying car was BLOCKED from shipping because the name on the check sent from PFCU was incorrect (had dealer and desired name on there), 2 months after the check was sent to them

- So the net is this, I paid for the car and insured it TWO months ago, and its' still sitting in Germany.
- The check was supposedly never cashed
- I've pretty much become numb to the whole situation

- Should I change / cancel the order since 09s will be produced in a few weeks?
- Should I keep the car and get another check sent from PFCU and continue to wait it out?
- Should I ask for some additional concessions from BMW? If so, what?
- Should I ask BMW to locate a similar vehicle in the US and sell that to me for a similar price to resolve this quicker?

Thoughts???
Let's consider that your procedure for vehicle procurement is more complicated than ideal. You are already a long way into the process, and re-initiating a whole new procurement process would possibly take even more time and have more of the same risks.

If the current car is what you wanted, then it looks like you've already rounded third base... You should consider the trip to home plate.
      08-08-2008, 09:16 AM   #4
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

Of your Should I's I would do #2 and #3. No sense bailing on this order even though it has been an enormous pain. And, you'll forget about it once you get it in your hands.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 11:07 AM   #5
driftdriven
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I say milk the dealership for what you can and keep the car. In the mean time take your R8 and add a couple of mods till the 1er comes. Just from my point of view, since I don't have a R8, I would be more excited about driving a R8 then a 135, but again that is just me.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 11:10 AM   #6
ky_soldier
General of The Universe
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [9.00]
yeah. like i said, i've become numb about it. wouldn't mind changing the order to an m3 with dual clutch at this point
1946 Willys CJ-2A
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 12:12 PM   #7
backtoreality15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftdriven View Post
I say milk the dealership for what you can and keep the car. In the mean time take your R8 and add a couple of mods till the 1er comes. Just from my point of view, since I don't have a R8, I would be more excited about driving a R8 then a 135, but again that is just me.
Ditto. Looks like the military pays well... :thumbup:
      08-08-2008, 12:18 PM   #8
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

Still not as well as civilian, ky has stated in another thread that his high level of disposable income comes from his civilian job.

Thank you for your service.
      08-08-2008, 12:51 PM   #9
ky_soldier
General of The Universe
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARES45 View Post
Still not as well as civilian, ky has stated in another thread that his high level of disposable income comes from his civilian job.

Thank you for your service.
right back at you :-)

im not buying R8's with army pay
1946 Willys CJ-2A
Appreciate 0