BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-09-2011, 10:27 AM   #23
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

^ I must sympathize that the OP's experience seems legitimately annoying.

Nothing worse than BMW's poor management of expectation whether it's from the factory,
dealership or simply the lack of communication between the two.

The idea that the 1M is a rare bird and he should just be grateful for getting it at all is no excuse for bad service
and completely wrong-minded. The service and information provided the OP for an exclusive car should have
been even more "exclusively good."

I look around and see the preponderance of big box car dealers such as Carmax, H.Greg and I really wonder
if at core the manufacturer-to-dealer business model is growing obsolete. One day we'll be able to order
our customized specs through BMW direct and cut out the greasy middle man.

Dealerships can stick around for mechanical service and those people who would like to test drive their stock
of white and beige 328i's.

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)

Last edited by James T. Kirk; 12-09-2011 at 12:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #24
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy69 View Post

Instant classic?? IMHO Not a chance.
Case in point - My 2002 BMW M Roadster one of about 2000 copies over two years (01-02) and last year built with the S/54 engine will be celebrating 10th birthday in a few days. I have owned it for 9.5 years. Has 33,000 miles on it. Mint garage queen. Everybody thought it would be a classic. They now sell for $20k. While this is alot of $ for a 10 yr old car still far from classic $. Less than 1/2 of MSRP new price.

Yes Instant Classic for the 1M.

The difference between your M Roadster and the 1M is this. The M Roadster was considered an ugly duckling with it came out and many of them found themselves on the dealer's lots waiting to be sold at a discount. However the M Roadster is just now being sought out across the country for low mileage originals. Hang on to it for a while longer you will most likely see it appreciate.

The 1M compared to the M Roadster was in Very Big demand long before it was even built. This is why many of us put a deposit on our car's 1 year in advance just to get a spot for one. It takes more than just low numbers to make a car a Classic. The 1M has both low numbers and Big Demand.
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles

Last edited by Redadair; 12-09-2011 at 11:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 11:28 AM   #25
LeMansM5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Interesting. My car delivered in 195 days from deposit
I ordered on January 26 with $1000 non-refundable deposit.
Options picked-up in mid-February
Production # received March 12th.
Euro delivery date set by March end.
Euro Delivery June 4th.
PCD August 8th.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 11:35 AM   #26
Maximus_Prime
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '12 Q5 2.0T, '06 Miata

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post

Nothing worse than BMW's poor management of expectation whether it's from the factory,

The idea that the 1M is a rare bird and he should just be grateful for getting it at all is no excuse for bad service
and completely wrong-minded. The service and information provided the OP for an exclusive car should have
^this.

Let's not pound on someone for being legitimately annoyed that it took BMW so long to get him his car. I can definitely sympathize with the OP. Unlike me, it sounds like he had a really bad dealer on top of the long wait. I put down my deposit in April and am still waiting for my ED redelivery. The wait has been horrendous.

However, for what it's worth, at the end of the day all we've really had to do (aside from pay for the car) is wait. There wasn't a lot of "work" involved. I visited the dealership twice - once to put the deposit down and again to pay for the car a week before my ED. Other than that it was just a matter of selling the old car and going on the ED trip. Oh, and visiting this forum obsessively .

Yes, the wait is crazy but we're pretty blessed when the biggest concern we have is when we'll receive our fancy new BMW!

I say put the long wait behind you and enjoy your new 1M!!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 12:10 PM   #27
Zippy69
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M VO, 02' M Roady, 74' 914 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redadair View Post
Yes Instant Classic for the 1M.

The difference between your M Roadster and the 1M is this. The M Roadster was considered an ugly duckling with it came out and many of them found themselves on the dealer's lots waiting to be sold at a discount. However the M Roadster is just now being sought out across the country for low mileage originals. Hang on to it for a while longer you will most likely see it appreciate.

The 1M compared to the M Roadster was in Very Big demand long before it was even built. This is why many of us put a deposit on our car's 1 year in advance just to get a spot for one. It takes more than just low numbers to make a car a Classic. The 1M has both low numbers and Big Demand.
Ugly Duckling? IMHO The M Roadster was one of the best looking cars from BMW ever. I purchase a low mileage example in 11/02 and had to search over the entire country for it. New M Roadsters were almost impossible to come by at that time. I wound up shipping a car from FL to NY. Many Z3 enthuiasts gobbled these cars up when ther realized 02 was the last year and a very limited production M car. Perhaps you are speaking of the Z3's on dealer lots?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 12:12 PM   #28
Zippy69
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post

I look around as see the preponderance of big box car dealers such as Carmax, H.Greg and I really wonder
if at core the manufacturer-to-dealer business model is growing obsolete. One day we'll be able to order
our customized specs through BMW direct and cut out the greasy middle man.

Dealerships can stick around for mechanical service and those people who would like to test drive their stock
of white and beige 328i's.
Well said
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 12:22 PM   #29
Zippy69
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus_Prime View Post
^this.

Let's not pound on someone for being legitimately annoyed that it took BMW so long to get him his car. I can definitely sympathize with the OP. Unlike me, it sounds like he had a really bad dealer on top of the long wait. I put down my deposit in April and am still waiting for my ED redelivery. The wait has been horrendous.

However, for what it's worth, at the end of the day all we've really had to do (aside from pay for the car) is wait. There wasn't a lot of "work" involved. I visited the dealership twice - once to put the deposit down and again to pay for the car a week before my ED. Other than that it was just a matter of selling the old car and going on the ED trip. Oh, and visiting this forum obsessively .

Yes, the wait is crazy but we're pretty blessed when the biggest concern we have is when we'll receive our fancy new BMW!

I say put the long wait behind you and enjoy your new 1M!!
Will do Thx

Wait would have been easier if I had gotten reliable information from dealer instead of fabrications, guesses and inaccuracys. I continued to catch sales rep in lies and he still continued to play games. I guess they were having difficulties getting answers from BMW but if that is the case just tell me that. I am thankful to the members of this board for posting valuable information about these cars and the process. Better info than I ever got from the dealer.

I'm out the door now to pick up my car.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 12:27 PM   #30
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

Quote:
Ugly Duckling? IMHO The M Roadster was one of the best looking cars from BMW ever. I purchase a low mileage example in 11/02 and had to search over the entire country for it. New M Roadsters were almost impossible to come by at that time. I wound up shipping a car from FL to NY. Many Z3 enthuiasts gobbled these cars up when ther realized 02 was the last year and a very limited production M car. Perhaps you are speaking of the Z3's on dealer lots?
Sorry I actually meant the M Coupe as the Ugly Duckling. And yet are now becoming very collectable.
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 02:01 PM   #31
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
I never said I will not buy another BMW again. I said I will never pre-order another BMW. I like some of their products and have had at least one in my garage since 1998. I said I like the product. Not the process. It is the process that was upsetting.

Your logic is after waiting all of this time paying interest on a car that I don't have yet and dealing with all of the lies and mis-information is to sell?... I don't think so. The only communication that I will have with BMW moving forward will be to to the head of customer service NA and get the car serviced under warranty. I will be very specific about what will be done for service and certainly be using a different dealership.

I didn't say it was LOGIC. I just took your emotional reaction a little further to make a point. We hear your frustration.. We do. I am sure it will subside after you get your car in your garage. Then you'll look back and say... wow.. that was a silly thing to say... perhaps not... maybe you will take that to your grave like a bitter old hermit... ha! I can definitely empathize with you about dealer frustrations... etc. My payment was handled by my own credit union, but the dealer I used literally turned DOWN my offer to pay... then suddenly weeks later wanted the payment handled IMMEDIATELY. I was lied to... ignored... etc.. Was part of your issue from BMW? or was a lot from the dealer? In my case... I know that BMW didn't make it easy... but most of my frustration is at the dealer level.... Just saying that NEVER is a long time...

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 12-09-2011 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 0