BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-29-2018, 01:57 PM   #1
93tankus
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Thoughts on ANOTHER Canadian 1M!

Hello esteemed Forum members!

I would very much appreciate your wisdom on a stripper AW located in Canada. There are some pros and cons with this one:

Cons:
The car has -gulp- around 93k on it.

Pros:
- it’s the original owner
- he had the 6 year extended warranty up until last year.
- recently had fuel pump and injectors replaced
- never driven in winter
- clean Carfax (Canadian version)
- according to him, car is very clean
- he is willing to drive 5 hours to meet me 1/2 way.

He said he would let it go for $36k USD. Not sure if this is a pro or con!

I kind of like the fact that it’s been a driver. I wouldn’t feel terrible adding more miles to it or taking it to the occasional track day. I like the fact that he’s the original owner with records.

Thoughts?
Thanks!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 05:19 PM   #2
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93tankus View Post

I would very much appreciate your wisdom on a stripper AW located in Canada. There are some pros and cons with this one:

Cons:

Pros:
- never driven in winter

I kind of like the fact that it’s been a driver. I wouldn’t feel terrible adding more miles to it or taking it to the occasional track day. I like the fact that he’s the original owner with records.

Thoughts?
Thanks!!!!!
I like cars from original owners too so that is a plus. The price seems reasonable for the mileage and it's a stripper which is a bonus for me. Less electronics to break since outnof warranty, better seating position and no nav screen or holes in your bumper.

If you are going to drive sparingly with it, in a few years it will be an average mile 1M. If you plan to drive a lot maintenance can add up quicker. It is definitely worth linking at. People as asking 30k for a 135is.

As I said to me it's a bonus being a stripper. A lot of extended warranties don't even warranty the infotainment stuff. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 05:50 PM   #3
93tankus
Enlisted Member
Rep

As always, thanks for the input, nachob!

I think I may get him down to 35K.

I wouldn’t plan on putting a ton of miles on it. Just weekend adventures, etc.

Everything would obviously be contingent on a PPI.

Anyone else have thoughts?

Thanks again to all. Love this forum and the wisdom it holds!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 07:51 PM   #4
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
One observation I would make is that having the fuel injectors and fuel pump replaced recently is a good indication that the car was not driven hard very often or tuned. My HPFP and injectors failed at about 45,000 miles, about 5000 miles after I tuned the car. The injectors should have been replaced with index 12, so you shouldn’t have anymore problems with those. It is entirely conceivable that you’ll need another fuel pump in 40 or 50,000 miles. This sounds like a pretty good deal.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 08:35 PM   #5
analogue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, iX

I don't think you can ask for much better than a single-owner daily driver that had an extended warranty at that price. The last one on BaT w/ 30k miles went for $41k and most thought that was a steal for the buyer. I think mid-30s is appropriate for the higher mileage. Anything much below that has been salvage rebuild territory.

The unknowns I would think about in your shoes:

- Possible repairs even with a good PPI. I'd replace the charge pipe day one if it hasn't already been dealt with, and then wonder about clutch, battery, turbos, etc. All very manageable, but things to figure into your price.

- Resale. I'm not sure we have seen an imported Canadian example go up for sale again in the US, so that market it pretty much unknown. We know the import process is relatively straightforward, but it could be one more point of concern for the next buyer. If someone thought they could buy a Canadian car and flip it here for a profit, it would already be happening.

- Your timing for a purchase. The US inventory seems to have dried up from even a couple months ago. The only recent listings are garage queens (cornered by EAG) and those silly enough to think their mods added resale value. So you can drive a Canadian import now, or hope your ideal car goes up for sale soon in what appears to still be a seller's market. There were only 43 cars built in black w/o NAV for the US, so your potential pool is quite small.

Last edited by analogue; 05-29-2018 at 08:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 09:19 PM   #6
JP-1M
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 1M

Garage List
You've already got some great advice from some solid forum members. It seems everyone, including me, is leaning towards "do it".

If you have not already received a million pictures of the car from a million angles, then strongly suggest you do. You can send him a link to a good listing to clearly demonstrate the angles and lighting that should be used for the pictures. Forum members here helped spot some non-standard body parts on a prior listing that otherwise sounded too good to be true. Hope this isn't the case for your find, but don't take the risk.
      05-31-2018, 11:45 AM   #7
djafactor
MINI Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 89 M3, 1M, e30 touring

If the car is in Montreal I can go by and take a look at it for you. I've had my 7 year old stripper since new. Wait, that really came out wrong.
      05-31-2018, 12:56 PM   #8
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by djafactor View Post
If the car is in Montreal I can go by and take a look at it for you. I've had my 7 year old stripper since new. Wait, that really came out wrong.
Voila! Ces't une bonne ideé!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 01:30 PM   #9
93tankus
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Ha!

Thanks so very much for the offer! I believe the car is in Quebec City, which looks like quite the drive from Montreal. However, the owner is willing to meet up in Toronto, which is super generous!

Again, thanks so much for your offer to assist!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 02:13 PM   #10
djafactor
MINI Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Ha!

Thanks so very much for the offer! I believe the car is in Quebec City, which looks like quite the drive from Montreal. However, the owner is willing to meet up in Toronto, which is super generous!

Again, thanks so much for your offer to assist!
I'm going to be in Thetford Mines visiting a client next week. If the owner is willing to drive down to Val Alain I can catch him on my way in or out. Val Alain is about 45 mins from Quebec City and I'll be jumping off the main highway around there on my way to Thetford Mines. Just PM me if you need any help and we can coordinate.

cheers
      05-31-2018, 02:21 PM   #11
93tankus
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I'm going to be in Thetford Mines visiting a client next week. If the owner is willing to drive down to Val Alain I can catch him on my way in or out. Val Alain is about 45 mins from Quebec City and I'll be jumping off the main highway around there on my way to Thetford Mines. Just PM me if you need any help and we can coordinate.

cheers
Man, thanks so much for your offer to help! I really appreciate it. I'll pass this along to the owner to get his thoughts. It certainly would be nice to have another set of Forum eyes on it!

I will PM you if he is willing.

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 06:42 PM   #12
djafactor
MINI Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

cheers
Man, thanks so much for your offer to help! I really appreciate it. I'll pass this along to the owner to get his thoughts. It certainly would be nice to have another set of Forum eyes on it!

Thanks!!
Quote:
Quote:

cheers

Thanks!!
Sounds good

Cheers
      05-31-2018, 10:58 PM   #13
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:

Cons:

Pros:
- never driven in winter

Thoughts?
Thanks!!!!!
The mileage scares me from the standpoint of a car that you might expect to retain some value. Once a "collectible" car gets past 100K miles, the value goes down a lot. Now if you are starting at $36K, then there isn't that far for it to fall, but just be advised that you will be looking at a pretty small pool of potential buyers at resale time.

Some of these cars are still being driven as if they were not old, or as DD vehicles. Many or most of the better ones are in the hands of people who have them as 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 10th vehicles. Even if you don't drive the car very much, it will almost always be considered a high mileage vehicle. Those folks with the 40K or 50K mile cars who drive them 1-3,000 miles per year will never catch up to you, practically speaking.

Forgetting about the condition and other things that I can't address based upon the information available in this thread, the miles are the miles.

I have a 2003 Porsche (996) 911 Turbo, with 77,000 miles on it. I bought it last year largely because it has had about $25,000 worth of work done on it in the last 3 years/12,000 miles. Those cars can bite you in the ass bigtime with repair costs, but the Metzger engine in those turbos is known to go for hundreds of thousands of miles if cared for. A 1M may be a several hundred thousand mile car, but that is yet to be proven. If I thought that I would put a lot of miles on the Porsche Turbo, then if I bought it would be with the intention of running it into the ground. Instead, I'm going to put 1000 or 1500 miles on it every year, and even if I unload it in 5 years it will still be in the low 80 thousands of miles, still easily resalable.

This needs consideration; how much are you going to drive it, and how much do you hope to get out of it when all is said and done?
      06-01-2018, 04:53 AM   #14
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Just curious how the car has that many miles if it was never driven in winter? 90k / 7 years = 12,800 miles a year. Was it mostly highway miles?

Also is that 93k miles or 93,000 km? If it's KM that's only 58,000 miles. !!
      06-01-2018, 07:20 AM   #15
djafactor
MINI Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Just curious how the car has that many miles if it was never driven in winter? 90k / 7 years = 12,800 miles a year. Was it mostly highway miles?

Also is that 93k miles or 93,000 km? If it's KM that's only 58,000 miles. !!
Just saw the ad. Car has 153k km says it's never been driven winter. Original owner, no accidents
      06-01-2018, 08:12 AM   #16
93tankus
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated!!

I spoke with the owner on the phone. Super nice guy. He said that the majority of the miles were highway. He has family that lives approximately 3 hours away, and he visits with them quite often. He said that's where most of the miles came from. No winter driving. He sent me a boatload of pictures as well.

Make no mistake, it has a lot of miles on it! However, it comes down to a few main points for my situation. First of all, I can't afford 95% of the 1Ms that come along! And that percentage will probably increase over time!

Secondly, I'm truly looking for a "driver" that I wouldn't be afraid to drive and add some miles. That's what cars are for! Plus, it kind of goes hand-in-hand with my first point - I can't afford a garage queen!

It would be our third vehicle - one for weekend adventures with the kids, cars n' coffees...and the occasional track day. Winter storage, etc. I'm lucky to have a gearhead wife...and two small gearheads in the making. We had a 135i for a bit...loved it...and now we're looking for the car that we'd keep for the long haul. That's the 1M to us. We wouldn't be interested in selling it anytime soon!

Anyway, that's a little of the backstory (probably more than you all cared for!). With everything else in life that requires money, I need to find a 1M that seems well cared for...and "affordable"!

"Affordable".... I guess it's all relative these days.

I'm not sure this is the one...but maybe it is. I'm still trying to weight options.

Again, thanks for everyone's input and guidance. I rely heavily on everyone's thoughts here.
Appreciate 2
nachob2307.00
mtl8850.00
      06-01-2018, 02:23 PM   #17
jamie
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: A few

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogue View Post
The last one on BaT w/ 30k miles went for $41k and most thought that was a steal for the buyer.
That was me.

I wasn't intending to buy another 1M, but the price seemed crazy.

I have a 488 spider, GT3 and GT3RS, Boxster spyder and GT3 Speedster all incoming. The last two haven't been formally announced, but I have a good relationship with my dealer.

I might be willing to sell the 1M, not looking to make a profit, but want to be kept whole.

It might take me a few days to decide. pm me if interested.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2011-bmw-1m-23/
2018 Fiat 488 Spider soon
2018 GT3 and GT3RS incoming
Appreciate 0