BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-09-2011, 09:45 PM   #67
l888apex
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: #30/740 BSM 1M

I'm at 700 miles now...don't want to have any issues when 1200 comes up. Should I call the dealer and ask if they have fluid en route or is it safe to assume they're taking care of it?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #68
TXmtrhed
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

From my Service and Warranty manual:

"1200 Mile Service
The engine in your BMW 1 Series M Coupe or M3 is a race-bred engine design which includes increased power output and maximum engine speeds compared to a conventional BMW 1 or 3 Series engine. The increased power output also affects other major drivetrain components, such as the transmission (M3 only) and the rear axle differential. The 1200 Mile Service requires changing the oil in the engine and the differential. M3 vehicles with the standard transmission also require the transmission fluid to be changed (transition fluid does not need to be changed for an M3 with the optional M-DCT Drivelogic transmission)."

So why are your transmissions being serviced? Unless the service procedures have changed since the print date I'm thinking the techs are doing more than necessary and putting some of you into a bind.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 09:59 PM   #69
AW 1M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

My car is at the dealer. Several people commented that I was the second 1M to be towed in today. After driving the 328 home, I am taking the MINI to the driving school tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 06:40 AM   #70
M3Power79
Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 1M sold - M4 MW DKG ordered

My first service is end of next week. Here in Belgium the correct trans.fluid ( LT-5) is on stock; i just checked it.
Diff.oil is also available.

The only thing that concerns me is the engine oil they prescribe : 5W30???? is this correct?????
"... on the smiles-per-mile charts, the 1-series M coupe can't be beat. It is a challenging piece, a triple-X-rated driver's machine for semi-professionals. Its handling balance provides an open invitation to indulge in latent oversteer, and provides an opportunity to separate the men from the boys. It is an absolute hoot on the track and an addictive plaything on your favorite twisty back road. "

Last edited by M3Power79; 06-10-2011 at 07:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 07:59 AM   #71
1erMCoupe
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 M

I bought Mobil 1 0W40 New life. BMW (Longlife 01) 8L/51€ for the engine and Castrol SAF-XJ 75W-140 1L for 13,50€ for the diff.

BTW: The manuel shows the posibility for 0W30,0W40,5W30,5W40 .....
      06-10-2011, 08:52 AM   #72
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Not to add insult to injury......

BMW just released a new bulletin basically stating the following: ( released 6/9/2011) late in the day !!

Transmission MTF LT5 Fluid Not Available and SI B00 01 10 Changes.

The manual transmission fluid does not need to be changed at the 1200 Mile Service. However, future fluid replacements will coincide with those of the rear axle differential oil. Refer to SI B00 10 10 for additional details pertaining to required service. Do not substitute MTF LT5 fluid with any other fluid; when it is available in 3-4 weeks, we will provide a follow-up DCS message. No premature wear will occur to the manual transmission if the fluid is not changed at the 1200 mile service.We apologize for this inconvenience.

FYI.... The future fluid replacements that coincide with the rear axel differential fluid will occur at EVERY 3rd OIL SERVICE

So It appears as though BMW recanted their requirment for this Transmission fluid break-in service requirment. ( not really a bad thing in the grand scheam of things IMHO)

I would guess once fluid becomes available enthusists will do it on there own anyway. ( hopefully fluid will not be $$$$$$$$)

will update as soon as i hear anything else..
      06-10-2011, 08:53 AM   #73
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXmtrhed View Post
From my Service and Warranty manual:

"1200 Mile Service
The engine in your BMW 1 Series M Coupe or M3 is a race-bred engine design which includes increased power output and maximum engine speeds compared to a conventional BMW 1 or 3 Series engine. The increased power output also affects other major drivetrain components, such as the transmission (M3 only) and the rear axle differential. The 1200 Mile Service requires changing the oil in the engine and the differential. M3 vehicles with the standard transmission also require the transmission fluid to be changed (transition fluid does not need to be changed for an M3 with the optional M-DCT Drivelogic transmission)."

So why are your transmissions being serviced? Unless the service procedures have changed since the print date I'm thinking the techs are doing more than necessary and putting some of you into a bind.
Yes there was a change after that publication. BMW notified all dealers of the change in the 1200 mile service and that was to include the transmission.

since yesterday, things changed, again .. see post above ..
      06-10-2011, 09:19 AM   #74
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

so now they say it is not required to change at 1200 and doing so will be on our own expense
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 09:30 AM   #75
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRSTM View Post
so now they say it is not required to change at 1200 and doing so will be on our own expense
Basically yes... but your not "required" to do anything... its not that they wont cover it, they just changed the requirment.

IF you feel / or anyone else feels, that they MUST or WANT to do it, then yes, it would be on their dime.
      06-10-2011, 09:34 AM   #76
Franklin Joseph
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

stop by my dealer this morning and told them about the tranny fluid bulletin. They said its not available and no other information was available. When its available they will try to get a hold of some.

Thanks to all who kept up with this, and sorry to those who are in a pickle now.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 09:35 AM   #77
Wild Bill
Old Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: JCW Clubman, 1M, 2007 Vette

Garage List
2007 Corvette  [0.00]
2011 1M Coupe  [10.00]
2010 MINI JCW Clubman  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
IF you feel / or anyone else feels, that they MUST or WANT to do it, then yes, it would be on their dime.
And some of us are getting the trans oil changed twice for free.
Even though we will have to wait 3-4 weeks to get our cars back, but on the up side they gave us a nice new 128i with the M package with only 200 miles on it for our trip out of town next week. At least the 600 miles will go on the loaner and not the 1M.

WB
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 09:43 AM   #78
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill View Post
Even though we will have to wait 3-4 weeks to get our cars back, but on the up side they gave us a nice new 128i with the M package with only 200 miles on it for our trip out of town next week. At least the 600 miles will go on the loaner and not the 1M.

WB
LOL you got a 2-fer....

BTW that 128 M-sport is a blast..... ( look at my sig ) Mine saw that track at 1001 miles... ( i couldnt wait ) and i am happy to say I have seen quiet a few 135 in my mirror ) forget about "d" drive it in "ds" unless you are truely cruising on the Hwy and want 6th gear... its a whole different animal.

Enjoy your trip... If i hear anything else (i.e. fluid released early, ill let you know)
      06-10-2011, 09:44 AM   #79
Kippers
Closeted BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 ///M and 2011 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.87]
2000 BMW M Roadster  [6.80]
Still waiting on my local PA dealer to get back to me ... 25 hours later ... they say they have not heard back from BMW NA on what to do ... so I have my wonderful 1M sitting quietly in the garage wondering why the hell its not out on the road.

I spoke to the dealer I bought it from in FL, their master tech is telling me that I don't need to be overly concerned about the 500 miles I put on the LT2 tranny oil, that since I am not a race car driver it should be fine. The difference between LT2 and LT3 is apparently minimal and the difference between LT3 and unavailable LT5 is a chemical additive related to viscosity.

He indicated that if I have to drive it fine, but if I can leave it "dry docked" even better.

Then a "re-assuring" comment: If the transmission falls out, I'm sure BMW will take care of it.

I was not amused.

So, I sit here, trying to work, waiting for a call from the local PA dealer to tell me what I already know ...

I JUST WANT TO DRIVE MY CAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill View Post

WB
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 10:01 AM   #80
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippers View Post
Still waiting on my local PA dealer to get back to me ... 25 hours later ... they say they have not heard back from BMW NA on what to do ... so I have my wonderful 1M sitting quietly in the garage wondering why the hell its not out on the road.

I spoke to the dealer I bought it from in FL, their master tech is telling me that I don't need to be overly concerned about the 500 miles I put on the LT2 tranny oil, that since I am not a race car driver it should be fine. The difference between LT2 and LT3 is apparently minimal and the difference between LT3 and unavailable LT5 is a chemical additive related to viscosity.

He indicated that if I have to drive it fine, but if I can leave it "dry docked" even better.

Then a "re-assuring" comment: If the transmission falls out, I'm sure BMW will take care of it.

I was not amused.

So, I sit here, trying to work, waiting for a call from the local PA dealer to tell me what I already know ...

In a Manual gear box, Fluid used relates to the Synchros. The shaft and the seals are all the same ( relatively speaking) Considering that when they released the specs on the 1M they mentioned that the Transmission was designed with this update

" The use of a newly developed carbon friction lining on the synchromesh units"

This is the only reason they must have specd the new fluid. I forsee no permenant damage, as a good flush and refill ( maybe twice after getting up to temp) will rectify the units that have been filled with the incorrect fluid.

<<<<<<<this last statement is just my OPINION.... But i have been involved with this stuff for over 15 years, so take it as you will >>>>>>>>

IF i was in this situiation, and i had a choice to not have to drive it, i wouldnt. my .02
      06-10-2011, 10:01 AM   #81
hollysmac
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Bmw 228xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Do you know the date this memo went out to the BMW Service Managers?

My 1200 mile service occurred on June 1, 2011 ... and my invoice shows the standard transmission oil (assumed standard by the BMW part number that I find referenced as transmission oil in posts as old as two+ years ago, 83-22-0-406-941).

I plan to call the dealer in the morning, just wanted as much info as I could get before that call.

Thanks!

My dealer did my service did my service June 1. He didn't change the fluid because of the dry sump transmission and was told by BMW verbally that the fluid was back ordered. Early this week they got the bulliten fromn BMW. So I would check and ask.

I remeber his discussing with me that he spent some time finding out what exactly was needed. This is why he is the only one at the dealer who works on my car. He is a friend and a fellow autoxer and knows what needs to be done for the car. Like my son Anthony is very exacting and that's who you want to be working on your car. He even puts opn my registration stickers because I drive him nuts when I put them on crooked. He also hates that I eat in the car

I feel so bad for you guys-- to wait like we did for the car and then have it out of commission. This reminds me of the birthing problems with our e46 M3. I had a clutch go in the first month then the #5 bearing problem (new engine) then a year later they recalled the new engine for yet another bearing set. At least BMW does cover this kind of thing. BUT at the time, I was thinking "am I ever going to get to enjoy this car?"

Dan, your request for assurance that your transmission will be covered should be honored because it is not a frivolous request. Hope you get your car back soon and that the dealers who have cars out of comission get their fluid first.

holly
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 10:06 AM   #82
Kippers
Closeted BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 ///M and 2011 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.87]
2000 BMW M Roadster  [6.80]
I don't intend on driving it ... the thought of leaving it in the garage makes my mind hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
In a Manual gear box, Fluid used relates to the Synchros. The shaft and the seals are all the same ( relatively speaking) Considering that when they released the specs on the 1M they mentioned that the Transmission was designed with this update

" The use of a newly developed carbon friction lining on the synchromesh units"

This is the only reason they must have specd the new fluid. I forsee no permenant damage, as a good flush and refill ( maybe twice after getting up to temp) will rectify the units that have been filled with the incorrect fluid.

<<<<<<<this last statement is just my OPINION.... But i have been involved with this stuff for over 15 years, so take it as you will >>>>>>>>

IF i was in this situiation, and i had a choice to not have to drive it, i wouldnt. my .02
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 10:11 AM   #83
hollysmac
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Bmw 228xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
I've used these guys for years... http://www.blackstone-labs.com/tests.php

BTW Blackstone is who we used with our e46 bearing problems.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 10:41 AM   #84
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:

I was not amused.

Then go drive it! It IS under warranty. Don't complain that you " can't " drive your car when you simply CHOOSE not to. The people with cars in a dealership right now are the ones that can't drive their cars..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 11:39 AM   #85
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

I'm at 100 miles on the odo so hopefully they get this all sorted out by the time I hit 1200. I was planning to take a trip which would get me to the 1200 in rapid fashion but those plans just changed.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 11:58 AM   #86
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Is the "exclude tranny" in the 1200 mile service only an NA thing?

If I do the 1200 mile service during ED will there be a tranny fluid change? I guess more importantly will BMWNA reimburse that properly?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 12:03 PM   #87
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
Is the "exclude tranny" in the 1200 mile service only an NA thing?

If I do the 1200 mile service during ED will there be a tranny fluid change? I guess more importantly will BMWNA reimburse that properly?
Thats a good question..

Im going to say after todays Bulletin..... It is not an item on the list of things to do at 1200 miles, so i would say they wouldnt..

I would hang tight for a while, as i see this whole thing as a volitale item.. I am forseeing a reversal of a reversal, but that is just my guess.

are you in ED now ??? i would just hang tight if i could ... mu .02
      06-10-2011, 12:12 PM   #88
l888apex
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: #30/740 BSM 1M

weird, since it was a thing to do before. nothing has changed mechanically except now they want to cover their ass for not having enough fluid.
Appreciate 0