BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-08-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
Zippy69
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M VO, 02' M Roady, 74' 914 V8

Will I Ever Get My Car?

I just got a call from the dealership that my car is ready to be picked up!
I about had a heart attack.

Here are the delivery milestones:
354 Days - since I placed my deposit $500 at dealer #1 - 12/20/10!
294 Days - since I placed my deposit $1000 at dealer #2
118 Days - since both of my allocations came in (cancelled one)
99 Days - Since I was blindsided by dealership to pay in full and my loan interst started
67 Days - Since I picked up my car for Euro Delivery
53 Days - Since I dropped off my Car Nice France after Euro Delivery
23 Days - Since car arrived at port in Bayonne, NJ
3 Days - Since car arrived at dealership for service and prep

This process was the worst. Will never pre-order a car from BMW again.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
bayer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

I placed my deposit 8 days after you did, had to go to 2 dealerships to get an allocation. So similar timeline and experience less the ED part.

To be honest, telling the "story" of how I got my 1M is now one of my favorite parts. The best reaction is from non-car folks. They can't believe it when I explain and are floored that I went to such great lengths for a "car".

Totally would do it again. But I won't complain if BMW makes it a little easier in the future.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 07:40 PM   #3
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

Your process sounds a lot like mine, and is pretty normal for the 1M.

You always have to pay in full prior to doing a Euro Delivery.

You most likely won't have to ever pre order another BMW that will take this long because BMW most likely won't have another Extremely Limited car like the 1M.

Consider your self lucky you got a 1M at all.
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 08:12 PM   #4
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy69 View Post

99 Days - Since I was blindsided by dealership to pay in full and my loan interst started

I'm with you on this and have repeated it over and over...I'm never ordering a new BMW again. Most painful car purchase process known to humanity. My CA was outstanding and 100% honest all along, so he really isn't to blame for what BMW created.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 09:22 PM   #5
dcb
Private
Rep
Drives: Black 1M

My deposit went down Aug 24th...I pick up TOMORROW! Wahoo!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 10:48 PM   #6
Zippy69
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redadair View Post
Your process sounds a lot like mine, and is pretty normal for the 1M.

You always have to pay in full prior to doing a Euro Delivery.

You most likely won't have to ever pre order another BMW that will take this long because BMW most likely won't have another Extremely Limited car like the 1M.

Consider your self lucky you got a 1M at all.

If this is "normal" then BMW has alot to learn about customer service.

Payment in full prior to ED is one thing... I was advised to show up at the dealership ASAP to "do some paperwork". Once I arrived after spending a few hours waiting was then blindsided by the finance manager to pay in full on the spot before order was placed or loose my allocation. I thought I had at least another month to sell my car so I could put some more $ down to lower my payment. Now I have the privlege of a $902 monthly payment. I will refinance at a higher rate as a used car after I take delivery and put the $ down that I got after selling my other car. Only took a week to sell my STi but paperwork was completed and have been advise that I can't refinance till I take delivery.

Even if I am offered a car they only make 10 of... I will never pre-order another BMW. I would rather eat glass. <LOL>

That's funny I don't feel lucky?

This entire process was filled with lies, deceipt, delays and mis-information.

I like the car and the ED portion but the process overall was terrible.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 10:53 PM   #7
Zippy69
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
I'm with you on this and have repeated it over and over...I'm never ordering a new BMW again. Most painful car purchase process known to humanity. My CA was outstanding and 100% honest all along, so he really isn't to blame for what BMW created.
Repeat after me...I will never pre-order another BMW!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 10:57 PM   #8
smug01
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M VO, '97 Land Cruiser

Dropped mine off same day as yours in Nice. Still waiting, but at least it is at VPC in California.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 11:01 PM   #9
smug01
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M VO, '97 Land Cruiser

Quote:
Now I have the privlege of a $902 monthly payment. I will refinance at a higher rate as a used car after I take delivery and put the $ down that I got after selling my other car.
For what it is worth, I am pretty sure you can still finance at "new" rates. My credit union will apply new until a few months (can't remember how many) or 10k miles. It is worth checking.

Last edited by smug01; 12-08-2011 at 11:02 PM.. Reason: mis-quoted
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 11:18 PM   #10
Beemer22
Banned
Iran
Rep
Drives: SOLD: 2002 BMW M3, 2011 BMW 1M

Quote:

All other cars usually come in within

2 months after you place your order. The 1M was a totally new situation. Congratulations and enjoy the ride.

BTW, since May of 2010, if you order a X5, it takes about 4 months and about 10 months for a Turbo X3.

Why? They are the best cars in their class, demand is off the roof, and they are sending alot of cars to China since the US market is not really making them as much profit.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 02:32 AM   #11
PDXBMR
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M

Oh calm down OP, I'm on month 13 and still waiting. Good things are worth the wait. It's an instant classic.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 05:56 AM   #12
1mGator
1mGator
United_States
Rep
Drives: Valencia 1M

Quote:

I/we all understand where you are coming from. For me, I guess I like difficult things (yes, I'm married), the process was all part of the experience. What an epic journey and now I get to enjoy the fruit of patience and persistence for years to come. Yes, the allocation process and execution/communication could have been much, much better - but at the end of the day BMW delivered a great ED experience, a great re-delivery experience and a great car. Probably one of the best byproducts of all of the "joy" we have all endured is that this forum is a great community ..... my glass if full (yes, 93 octane)

Cheers to all!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 06:19 AM   #13
bayer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smug01 View Post
For what it is worth, I am pretty sure you can still finance at "new" rates. My credit union will apply new until a few months (can't remember how many) or 10k miles. It is worth checking.
+1 I have done this several times. Should be no problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 06:24 AM   #14
bayer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I won't argue your frustration, but before you swear off forever. I think most would agree this was made worse by the rarity of the 1M, some shady dealers and counter intuitive allocation schedules that made the car impossible to find. All of this was specific to the 2011 1M.

This is my second pre-ordered BMW. The first was flawless and not at ALL like ordering the 1M. So I treat some of the bumps in the road on the 1M as the exception, not the rule. My $0.02, take it or leave it.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 06:25 AM   #15
bayer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I won't argue your frustration, but before you swear off forever. I think most would agree this was made worse by the rarity of the 1M, some shady dealers and counter intuitive allocation schedules that made the car impossible to find. All of this was specific to the 2011 1M.

This is my second pre-ordered BMW. The first was flawless and not at ALL like ordering the 1M. So I treat some of the bumps in the road on the 1M as the exception, not the rule. My $0.02, take it or leave it.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 09:01 AM   #16
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

I'd rather pay a premium off the showroom floor than go through that BS. Time is money.
But really, you did already receive your 1M through EU delivery. You're the one that wanted the full monty.
It'll be all the sweeter when you get her home.

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 09:13 AM   #17
Zippy69
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smug01 View Post
Already checked into with Bof A who I have the loan with. Attempted to refinance before my ED and they indicated that it is a used car even though wasn't picked up yet and has 0 miles! Has to do with title transfer.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 09:17 AM   #18
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Really seems silly for people to swear off buying a BMW after this process. Unless one is somehow completely unaware, it's patently obvious that this car is unprecedented in its popularity and rarity, and clearly a completely abnormal process compared to the normal BMW process.

While you may have perhaps endured the worst experience ever purchasing a vehicle, the end reward is an instant classic. The people who should be complaining they will never buy another BMW new are the people that got shafted by a dealer and didn't get a 1M.

If you guys are so upset with your BMW purchase then put your money where your money where your mouth is and put your car up for sale!

Then you can say actually stand proud and say you'll never own a BMW again, instead of " well I won't buy another NEW BMW, but I'll still buy a used one...... Lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 09:38 AM   #19
Zippy69
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXBMR View Post
Oh calm down OP, I'm on month 13 and still waiting. Good things are worth the wait. It's an instant classic.
I'm calm just disappointed with the mis-information and complete lack of customer service. Good for this web board that allowed me to get information during this process!

Perhaps you are more patient than I? Good luck.

Instant classic?? IMHO Not a chance.
Case in point - My 2002 BMW M Roadster one of about 2000 copies over two years (01-02) and last year built with the S/54 engine will be celebrating 10th birthday in a few days. I have owned it for 9.5 years. Has 33,000 miles on it. Mint garage queen. Everybody thought it would be a classic. They now sell for $20k. While this is alot of $ for a 10 yr old car still far from classic $. Less than 1/2 of MSRP new price.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 09:42 AM   #20
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

Quote:
If this is "normal" then BMW has alot to learn about customer service.

Payment in full prior to ED is one thing... I was advised to show up at the dealership ASAP to "do some paperwork". Once I arrived after spending a few hours waiting was then blindsided by the finance manager to pay in full on the spot before order was placed or loose my allocation. I thought I had at least another month to sell my car so I could put some more $ down to lower my payment. Now I have the privlege of a $902 monthly payment. I will refinance at a higher rate as a used car after I take delivery and put the $ down that I got after selling my other car. Only took a week to sell my STi but paperwork was completed and have been advise that I can't refinance till I take delivery.

Even if I am offered a car they only make 10 of... I will never pre-order another BMW. I would rather eat glass. <LOL>

That's funny I don't feel lucky?

This entire process was filled with lies, deceipt, delays and mis-information.

I like the car and the ED portion but the process overall was terrible.

like I told you earlier the 1M was totally different than ordering say a 335i. I ordered my 07 335i gave them the ED date I wanted went in to Pay for the car In Full 2 weeks prior to my ED deal done. Total time from order to Ed less than 2 months.

Of course you have to wait the 2 months after ED drop off for the car, that's just how long it takes.

Ordering a BMW is no issues at all, unless of course it's a 1M that you can no longer get at all.

It's sad you can't see this as a good experience. Both of my ED's were the best Vacations I have ever done. And I Do feel very luck to have gotten one of ~ 700 or so 1M's in the US, you should as well.
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #21
Zippy69
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Really seems silly for people to swear off buying a BMW after this process. Unless one is somehow completely unaware, it's patently obvious that this car is unprecedented in its popularity and rarity, and clearly a completely abnormal process compared to the normal BMW process.

While you may have perhaps endured the worst experience ever purchasing a vehicle, the end reward is an instant classic. The people who should be complaining they will never buy another BMW new are the people that got shafted by a dealer and didn't get a 1M.

If you guys are so upset with your BMW purchase then put your money where your money where your mouth is and put your car up for sale!

Then you can say actually stand proud and say you'll never own a BMW again, instead of " well I won't buy another NEW BMW, but I'll still buy a used one...... Lol.
I never said I will not buy another BMW again. I said I will never pre-order another BMW. I like some of their products and have had at least one in my garage since 1998. I said I like the product. Not the process. It is the process that was upsetting.

Your logic is after waiting all of this time paying interest on a car that I don't have yet and dealing with all of the lies and mis-information is to sell?... I don't think so. The only communication that I will have with BMW moving forward will be to to the head of customer service NA and get the car serviced under warranty. I will be very specific about what will be done for service and certainly be using a different dealership.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 10:08 AM   #22
Zippy69
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redadair View Post
like I told you earlier the 1M was totally different than ordering say a 335i. I ordered my 07 335i gave them the ED date I wanted went in to Pay for the car In Full 2 weeks prior to my ED deal done. Total time from order to Ed less than 2 months.

Of course you have to wait the 2 months after ED drop off for the car, that's just how long it takes.

Ordering a BMW is no issues at all, unless of course it's a 1M that you can no longer get at all.

It's sad you can't see this as a good experience. Both of my ED's were the best Vacations I have ever done. And I Do feel very luck to have gotten one of ~ 700 or so 1M's in the US, you should as well.
Good to hear what a standard pre-order is like.

I agree that the ED part was a great experience. I also agree the car is excellent. It really could have been a good experience however process was riddled with lies, delays and mis-information all leading to false expectations.
Appreciate 0