09-14-2012, 10:34 AM   #67
OAM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by tach9 View Post
The liners, while having the same PN#...looks to be improved. There is a significant scalloped area where the potential rubbing occurs. So far so good...
Any way you can post a picture when you get a chance?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 06:30 PM   #68
tach9
Private
Rep
Drives: V.O. 1M

While the new liners have what it seems to be is a significantly more scalloped area where the tire rubs during full lock...it still rubs, so I took a cutter to the area and slightly removed the area to make more of a clearance. That trick worked completely. Before I did this, the tire would rub just below on the "ribs" in the liner. I removed the bottom portion without disturbing the "rib".
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #69
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

tach, any chance you have before and after photos?

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes. I will surely learn a great deal today.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #70
tach9
Private
Rep

mattm...sorry no before, but I can take a pix of the unmodded liner and post it for those who know can make a comparison.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #71
tach9
Private
Rep

Trying to post some pixs, but I received this instead:

"Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing or mismatched.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error."

I guess I'm not allowed to post pixs?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #72
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by tach9 View Post
Trying to post some pixs, but I received this instead:

"Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing or mismatched.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error."

I guess I'm not allowed to post pixs?
Happened to me just today. Ignore it and try again and try to upload one by one instead of all together. You will find a way which works, that warning has nothing to do with your profile or so. Only other explanation is the site doesn't accept the type of file you tried to post, then check the allowed files at the bottom of the same page of uploads.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #73
tach9
Private
Rep

OK...here goes...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #74
tach9
Private
Rep

Scalloped area...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #75
tach9
Private
Rep

Sorry, not very good pixs, but I hope you can see in the 2nd pix, that the area where at full lock, the liner has a bit of extra scalloping for clearance. When I clean the wheels this weekend, I'll remove the wheel/tires and get a better pix...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 09:18 PM   #76
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Thanks for this, I might try cutting some of the plastic off too.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #77
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

FWIW, I had ordered the liners in June, anticipating paying out of pocket for them. There had been a *little* rubbing when I first installed the Hoosiers. Two pieces were on order from Germany. I wasn't in a rush. Plus they were pretty expensive. Then this thread appeared and I/we saw that they were being replaced in Europe. Then I saw that Niello did it. That created a nice precedent.

Today I took the car in for a radio problem (left side mid and high end working intermittently, really annoying if you're talking on the phone or punching digits like for voice mail). I also asked about the liners and that Niello did them. I had also spoken to the shop foreman (a friend) two days ago.

Well I pick up the car today with an amp on order (not a stocking item) and the liners installed under warranty. Woo hoo!

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes. I will surely learn a great deal today.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #78
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
FWIW, I had ordered the liners in June, anticipating paying out of pocket for them. There had been a *little* rubbing when I first installed the Hoosiers. Two pieces were on order from Germany. I wasn't in a rush. Plus they were pretty expensive. Then this thread appeared and I/we saw that they were being replaced in Europe. Then I saw that Niello did it. That created a nice precedent.

Today I took the car in for a radio problem (left side mid and high end working intermittently, really annoying if you're talking on the phone or punching digits like for voice mail). I also asked about the liners and that Niello did them. I had also spoken to the shop foreman (a friend) two days ago.

Well I pick up the car today with an amp on order (not a stocking item) and the liners installed under warranty. Woo hoo!
So are the dealerships replacing the liner even though people are running tires not from the factory?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #79
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

I wasn't asked. DA, DT.

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 05:54 PM   #80
MMOTION
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like you'll never drive again

Can someone tell me what are the specs of the 270M winter tire pkg BMW offers for the 1M? I brought the car to the dealer today to get the rubbing issue checked, and they refused to replace the liner saying that my tires were not the recommended size.

I'm running the Pirelli Sottozero in the same size as OEM 245/35/19 front and 265/35/19 rear. Only thing is i'm on Alufelgen SF-71 19x8.5 +15 infront, but its only a 3.3mm from stock? Maybe i should print this thread for my SA?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #81
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
1m Fender Liners - BMW part revision

I know a while back there was a thread about the 1M fender liners rubbing in the front at full lock and BMW issuing replacements if people complained but I don't know if it has been pointed out that BMW actually revised the front fender liners to give more clearance.

When the 1M first came out I purchased the 1M fender liners for my ER front end and last when building my 1M front end I noticed that the new liners are different. BMW has moulded them to allow more clearance.

Old 1M liner - note the groove was from some rubbing. Originally it was much flatter

New 1M fender liner - Note the larger groove

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 05:00 PM   #82
andrews
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Do you have the part number for the new liner or are they just reusing the old part number? Depending on price, this might be a good proactive change and simple enough that it's not worth going through the dealer.
      01-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #83
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrews View Post
Do you have the part number for the new liner or are they just reusing the old part number? Depending on price, this might be a good proactive change and simple enough that it's not worth going through the dealer.
+1. Exactly!
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #84
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrews View Post

Usually the part # will be stamped on/in the part so should be readily available?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 06:49 PM   #85
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Thanks for this. I have a unique problem that it rubs at the back though and not the front.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 07:38 PM   #86
luial
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1///M, e46 M3, e30 320is ///M3

Nice find. Part nos. please
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 08:19 PM   #87
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

So the dealer should replace this under warranty if asked?
2022 992 GTS| 7MT | Shark Blue
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 08:37 PM   #88
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

Can they revise the drone while they're at it? Why are they wasting time on fender liners?
Appreciate 0