BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-21-2014, 10:58 AM   #1
Garabins
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Alignment Issue

I recently installed a brand new Bilstein b12 kit, new spring pads, and new OEM strut mounts. I took the car in to our local BMW dealership for an alignment, and after $170 they were not able to align it…The problem is that the car pulls in both direction. If I take a right turn, and try to drive straight, the car pulls right. If I take a left turn, and try to drive straight, the car pulls to the left. The steering wheel is perfectly aligned after a right turn, but is 20 degrees off after a left turn. The dealership took a look at the suspension, and they didn’t see anything wrong, but didn’t know what was causing the problem. They want me to bring it in so they can take it apart and reinstall it. Anyone experience anything similar to this? Any input is appreciated.

2010 135i
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 04:48 PM   #2
Stupenal
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mmm

You may have put the washer in the strut hats on upside down. Sounds like the strut hat can't properly spin causing it to hold the wheel after a turn. I had this happen on my e36 m3 when I swapped struts. I also went ahead and cleaned and re lubed the bearings in the strut hats and reassembled the front struts paying attention to the washer orientation.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 10:40 PM   #3
Garabins
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupenal View Post
You may have put the washer in the strut hats on upside down. Sounds like the strut hat can't properly spin causing it to hold the wheel after a turn. I had this happen on my e36 m3 when I swapped struts. I also went ahead and cleaned and re lubed the bearings in the strut hats and reassembled the front struts paying attention to the washer orientation.
After going over several DIYs, I think you are absolutely correct. I think I placed the washers upside down. Also the previous owner never installed the "dust sealing gasket"/2nd washer that sits under the strut mount, so I had no idea that there are suppose to be 2 washers; A Concave one and a flat one. I'm taking everything apart in a few days, and reassembling it the correct way. Thank you for your response.
Appreciate 0