BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-19-2014, 08:22 AM   #1
EOD23
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 09' 135i

Coils, camber plates, and M3 bits

I'm getting ready to order the front suspension components for my car. I'm going with ST coils, Ground control camber plates and the M3 bits. I don't have the budget to do them all at once and I'm eager to drop the car. So, I was thinking for now to just go with the coils and camber plates and do the M3 bits a little later down the road. I know that means the car gets aligned twice but that's not really a big deal. Does this seem like the most logical way to go about this or am I completely retarded?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 01:38 PM   #2
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

i did all mine at once to avoid more labor cost.
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 01:59 AM   #3
worries
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i Jet Black

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Save up and do it all at once. The cost of labor to do them both at separate times will be more than to do it all at once. Doing the control arms, it takes 10 minutes to drop the strut and replace them with coilovers. Also you'll get more negative camber from all 3, so you should probably do it all at once and get it dialed in.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 06:41 AM   #4
EOD23
Private
Germany
Rep

Looks like I'll be taking both of your advice. I got a deal on a set of coils so it makes doing everything together more practical for me. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 11:04 AM   #5
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
I agree, do it all at once. However, with coils you may mess with the height later and then you probably should realign anyways. The other issue that comes into play is a corner balance. High end shops don't even like to install coils without a corner balance. Personally I'd wait a while before corner balancing.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 11:35 AM   #6
rsr552
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
I agree, do it all at once. However, with coils you may mess with the height later and then you probably should realign anyways. The other issue that comes into play is a corner balance. High end shops don't even like to install coils without a corner balance. Personally I'd wait a while before corner balancing.
Is corner balance really necessary if you are just DDing the car? I'd imagine if you were tracking it'd be more important....but for Daily Driving as soon as you have luggage...or a passenger...corner balancing would be thrown off anyway?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 01:57 PM   #7
kobeballer96
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6SPD E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD23 View Post
I'm getting ready to order the front suspension components for my car. I'm going with ST coils, Ground control camber plates and the M3 bits. I don't have the budget to do them all at once and I'm eager to drop the car. So, I was thinking for now to just go with the coils and camber plates and do the M3 bits a little later down the road. I know that means the car gets aligned twice but that's not really a big deal. Does this seem like the most logical way to go about this or am I completely retarded?

EOD are you in our European 1 addicts page on Facebook? If not join up I'll get David the Admin to add you to the group! Looking forward to seeing your build.

Orlando
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 12:11 AM   #8
EOD23
Private
Germany
Rep

I'm not on the page yet. I'll shoot you a PM. Thanks.
Appreciate 0