BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-06-2023, 03:47 PM   #1
Jheard
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Really need your wisdom on seat replacement

I have a 2011 e88 non m sport and I want a little more comfort. So I found a set of e92 m3 seats. Well I have read that its a straightforward replacement to put in the e92 seats. Plug and play. Well before I knew it a set of seats from a convertible e92 m3 came up. So I got them. The big difference is the m3 seats have the seatbelt integrated in to the seat while the car has it separately.
I decided to forge ahead. Installing it was no problem. Everything works including the bolsters.
However this is where we are now.
I have this alert and the question is can this be coded out?
Is there a wiring issue so I can disconnect the intrinsic seatbelt and use the one on the seat?
Is this impossible and am I risking certain death?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 06:54 AM   #2
cerealwars
Riffraff
Rep
Drives: 128i 6M, 1UZ S13, '62 C10

Garage List
2010 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Dang those seats are sick. First thing you need is to identify which codes the car is throwing.

Protools is ~$200 all-in but if you're doing stuff like this to the car, it very quickly becomes worth it. This will not only allow you to read the codes, but also to clear them once you've fixed the issue.

If you didn't disconnect the battery when swapping, it could be as simple as resetting an airbag code.

It could also be that the options are different between seats, and you need to do some re-pinning/swapping. Maybe the location for the pretensioner wiring is in a different spot?

This problem should be solvable, you'll just need some perseverance and to dig deeper. Pulling codes is the first step so we know what exactly it is we're trying to fix.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 07:47 AM   #3
Jheard
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Thanks for the help. Reading everything I can about the protools and it seems to be the right one. Because of the airbags I disconnected the battery before installing the passenger seat. With that seat there is only 1 electrical clip that is not compatible but I can hard wire it. My car was not equipped with heated seats but they work now with the new switch I got from ebay.
Now I am exposing my ignorance because I haven pulled the seatbelt mechanism on the car, but my next project is to see the diagram for seatbelt wiring.
But thanks the M3 eats are so much more comfortable. I can't wait to put in the drivers side seat and drive it.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 10:12 PM   #4
musterdirect
Registered
Rep
Drives: toyota

My guy uses Protools, which costs $250 all-in. This allows you to not only see the codes, but also clear them once the situation has been resolved. gorilla tag
Appreciate 0