BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-30-2012, 01:40 AM   #177
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
I must say I thought is was tight with the back screws but with the front it is very very stable now
Are you talking about your experience with hectic last night ?

I also did the same mistake as you and just screwed in 2 holes but it was too unstable so figure those 4 screws are for something
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 01:41 AM   #178
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Ok first thanks vinney, I just thought the extra holes in the bracket were for different seats. Now I just spent 10 minutes and put in the other 4.

So my suggestion is 1. Tap the two easy to get to holes without the braket. 2. Mount the bracket with the flat ended bolts and then 3. Tap the front holes with the 2 screws that have the star head and a protruding bit as this is easier to guide the screw into the hole whilst not being able to see it.

I must say I thought is was tight with the back screws but with the front it is very very stable now
No problem mate. Glad it's in properly as it could potentially be quite dangerous. I had wondered why you thought it was so easy because I originally complained that it was hard to see all of the holes. I will attempt installing this one more time without removing the seat. I think tapping the two easy to get holes first is a good idea, will definitely give that a go. Also, any recommendation for a fire extinguisher that is a perfect fit for this bracket? I bought one from SCA but the holes don't match up.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 02:04 AM   #179
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
That's the plan Sina but the bolts that hold the seat down are a weird size 6 star that I don't have. I'll need to buy the right tool to get it off.
Ah, it's a size 6! Haha you just saved me some time hunting for the correct star tool - thanks. Will hit up SCA/Repco soon

ps: Rey, lol @ the hectic comment!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 02:10 AM   #180
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86
Quote:
Ok first thanks vinney, I just thought the extra holes in the bracket were for different seats. Now I just spent 10 minutes and put in the other 4.

So my suggestion is 1. Tap the two easy to get to holes without the braket. 2. Mount the bracket with the flat ended bolts and then 3. Tap the front holes with the 2 screws that have the star head and a protruding bit as this is easier to guide the screw into the hole whilst not being able to see it.

No problem mate. Glad it's in properly as it could potentially be quite dangerous. I had wondered why you thought it was so easy because I originally complained that it was hard to see all of the holes. I will attempt installing this one more time without removing the seat. I think tapping the two easy to get holes first is a good idea, will definitely give that a go. Also, any recommendation for a fire extinguisher that is a perfect fit for this bracket? I bought one from SCA but the holes don't match up.
Yeh there is a pic a few pages back of the red bracket just move it 20mm or so and it fits fine
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 02:11 AM   #181
pavo335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX
Quote:
Are you talking about your experience with hectic last night ?

I also did the same mistake as you and just screwed in 2 holes but it was too unstable so figure those 4 screws are for something
Nah Chris is a bit lose at the back after I screwed him and stripped the thread
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 02:13 AM   #182
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woosh View Post
Ah, it's a size 6! Haha you just saved me some time hunting for the correct star tool - thanks. Will hit up SCA/Repco soon

ps: Rey, lol @ the hectic comment!
No.. it's not a size 6! I meant to say weird size, 6 star. It's got 6 points but no idea on what size it is. If you do find out, let me know please

Quote:
Yeh there is a pic a few pages back of the red bracket just move it 20mm or so and it fits fine
Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 02:16 AM   #183
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
No.. it's not a size 6! I meant to say weird size, 6 star. It's got 6 points but no idea on what size it is. If you do find out, let me know please
Yeah..after I hit post I thought to myself "wait, size 6 is kinda small isn't it?" haha, so thanks for confirming my noobness @ comprehension. I'll let you know what size it is when I find out.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 02:21 AM   #184
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Yeah..after I hit post I thought to myself "wait, size 6 is kinda small isn't it?" haha, so thanks for confirming my noobness @ comprehension. I'll let you know what size it is when I find out.
Didn't think that needed comprehension ?

GL with your second try Vinney!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 02:28 AM   #185
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I wanted to correct myself before you went to the store

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX View Post

Thanks Rey. It's in the too hard box right now but I'll give it another go soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 02:31 AM   #186
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:

lol, i've inspected the screws before so i should've known better than to just accept (read: assume) they're size 6.

All good Vinney, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 02:37 AM   #187
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
lol, i've inspected the screws before so i should've known better than to just accept (read: assume) they're size 6.

All good Vinney, thanks.
Damn I Just realize I was trying to take the piss out of you and I did a typo

I mean't to say confirming not comprehension I fail at piss take 101....
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 02:46 AM   #188
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Damn I Just realize I was trying to take the piss out of you and I did a typo

I mean't to say confirming not comprehension I fail at piss take 101....
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 02:56 AM   #189
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 10:05 PM   #190
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
i would offer my help but i didnt want to go through installing that PITA again.

by far the most painful 6 screws
Thanks Ray, I'll drop the car around on the weekend

Quote:
That's the plan Sina but the bolts that hold the seat down are a weird size 6 star that I don't have. I'll need to buy the right tool to get it off.
I think it's a T50 Torx bit.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 10:18 PM   #191
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
Thanks Ray, I'll drop the car around on the weekend .
if you need a hand, give me a holla and I will bring my small asians hand to assist
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 01:24 AM   #192
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
if you need a hand, give me a holla and I will bring my small asians hand to assist
Dude you can't write posts like this. You pretty much don't give me any chance to take the piss out of you... you're always one step ahead of me.

Quote:
I think it's a T50 Torx bit.
Nice, thanks mate!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 01:27 AM   #193
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #194
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
I installed this over the weekend. It took me way too long to essentially do up 6 bolts (about 2 hours), due to the contortion act required.

Definitely put in all the bolts first by themselves to create the thread then do it again with the bracket in place. It seems nice and sturdy and doesn't stick into the footwell too much.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 11:25 PM   #195
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I installed this over the weekend. It took me way too long to essentially do up 6 bolts (about 2 hours), due to the contortion act required.

Definitely put in all the bolts first by themselves to create the thread then do it again with the bracket in place. It seems nice and sturdy and doesn't stick into the footwell too much.
I just finished installing this now. +1 on screwing the self-tapping screws in first as it creates a thread. I had more difficulty installing the screws closes to the driver side door, especially the black one. As I was screwing in the very last screw, I dropped the T30 bit onto the carpet and as I tried to grab it and it fell between the carpet joins and underneath. Tried desperately to get it out but no luck, couldn't even see it down there. Not worried about losing the T30 but worried it will rattle around underneath when driving around. Anyways, managed to get all 6 screws in, it's very sturdy but it was a bitter sweet feeling because of losing the bit. I haven't got a fire extinguisher that will line up with the bracket holes (FYI 16cm apart) so will pick one up next time I go to Bunnings. Without the fire extinguisher the bracket isn't visible and no-one would know it's even there.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 11:33 PM   #196
pavo335
Banned
Rep

I got mine from SCA, the holes dont meet 100%, but it is easy enough to move the bracket. iirc there is a photo a couple of pages back and you can see where the hole has beem moved 20-30 mm.

I did go to bunnings first but they didn't have a small one that would fit.

Ohh btw CONGRATS !!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 12:06 AM   #197
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I got mine from SCA, the holes dont meet 100%, but it is easy enough to move the bracket. iirc there is a photo a couple of pages back and you can see where the hole has beem moved 20-30 mm.

I did go to bunnings first but they didn't have a small one that would fit.

Ohh btw CONGRATS !!!!
Thanks mate. It was a bitter sweet feeling getting it done. If I don't have any rattling issues from the missing T30 bit I'll be a happy man. I'm not sure how exactly you modified your bracket looking at it in this pic http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=80

The SCA fire extinguisher I have in my boot has a plastic bracket but I prefer to get my hands on one of these red metal wire brackets, seems a lot more sturdy and looks cleaner too.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 12:20 AM   #198
pavo335
Banned
Rep

yeh the fuzzy red bracket is metal (powercoated) and from SCA, i just got the ole hammer and started whacking the right hand mount you can see in the photo and hey presto she fits
Appreciate 0