BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-06-2016, 05:52 PM   #1
ThatKidDavid
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Exclamation Data logs, timing correction

Hi I recently got my car back from BMW and I wanted to make sure everything's running right before I start upgrading stuff. I currently have a Cobb accessport and here are the data logs I've done

Stage 1 sport: 3rd gear into 4th
http://datazap.me/u/imdavidbitch/sta...log=0&data=1-7

Now I've noticed timing correction in all cylinders (Cobb OTS maps are like that I guess) so I heard ppl put in a couple gallons of e85 to prevent knock. Heres a log of 12 gal 91 and 2 gal e85

Stage 1 sport (2 gal e85): 3rd gear to 4th gear
http://datazap.me/u/imdavidbitch/2nd...-7-14-15-16-17

Can you guys take a look at both these logs and tell me if there's anything I need to worry about? Is the e85 worth running each tank? I'm open to suggestions

PS If you guys want the full log I can attach it too

Last edited by ThatKidDavid; 11-07-2016 at 07:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 03:52 PM   #2
all4bspinnin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i LeMans Blue/Terracota

Your wgdc base is going crazy. Also getting timing corrections and throttle closures.

Last edited by all4bspinnin; 11-08-2016 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: Bad analysis on my part
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 09:15 PM   #3
bNks334
Major
Rep
Drives: '11 135i (N55)

Everything looks perfectly normal... boost is right on target as is load. The timing corrections are superficial. There is 0 need to have ANY E85 in the tank with an ots map. Stock tune even sees -1.9/-3.8 during normal operation...

Not sure what this other guy is seeing in your logs, but there is no need to be worried about anything. From what I see the throttle is closing due to load exceeding requested. Timing is then sometimes pulled by the dme as a reaction to the thortitle closure.

Crank up the boost (if you have a chargepipe).
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 10:18 AM   #4
all4bspinnin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Take a look at WGDC base.

Last edited by all4bspinnin; 11-08-2016 at 10:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 10:53 AM   #5
bNks334
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4bspinnin View Post
Take a look at WGDC base.
And? WGDC base is only one function of overall WGDC. His WGDC% looks perfectly normal.

Base is all over the place because his car is over-performing. His car is riding the boost target and WGDC base is responding by bouncing up and down to avoid overshooting target boost.

He's over load target as well until the DME finally steps in and takes more aggressive measures (it cuts the throttle/timing).

Car looks healthy and eager for a more aggressive tune. Definitely nothing here to indicate any kind of issue except there not being enough room for fine tuned adjustments with the low ceilings of the stage 1 base tune. The slightest reduction in WGDC could end up causing him to miss boost targets once the weather warms back up and conditions are less favorable...

Last edited by bNks334; 11-08-2016 at 11:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 12:40 PM   #6
all4bspinnin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bNks334 View Post
And? WGDC base is only one function of overall WGDC. His WGDC% looks perfectly normal.

Base is all over the place because his car is over-performing. His car is riding the boost target and WGDC base is responding by bouncing up and down to avoid overshooting target boost.

He's over load target as well until the DME finally steps in and takes more aggressive measures (it cuts the throttle/timing).

Car looks healthy and eager for a more aggressive tune. Definitely nothing here to indicate any kind of issue except there not being enough room for fine tuned adjustments with the low ceilings of the stage 1 base tune. The slightest reduction in WGDC could end up causing him to miss boost targets once the weather warms back up and conditions are less favorable...
Right, so if he's over shooting his target, it would mean that the car requires a bit of work to boost control mapping. I do agree in the fact that it is healthy, but the OP asked us to review his map and the base WGDC was jumping all over the place and he had throttle closures. If I was going to stick with that map, I would definitely retune the boost mapping. Anyways, good discussion.

OP, go get a nice custom tune for pump and e30 and enjoy it!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 08:49 PM   #7
ThatKidDavid
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bNks334

Does this show any signs of a waste gate that's not up to par? Or just a OTS tune that doesn't get any support anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4bspinnin View Post
Right, so if he's over shooting his target, it would mean that the car requires a bit of work to boost control mapping. I do agree in the fact that it is healthy, but the OP asked us to review his map and the base WGDC was jumping all over the place and he had throttle closures. If I was going to stick with that map, I would definitely retune the boost mapping. Anyways, good discussion.

OP, go get a nice custom tune for pump and e30 and enjoy it!
Thanks guys for your input, feel relieved now
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 10:09 PM   #8
bNks334
Major
Rep

What? This is a weak tune and you're hitting target boost with very little wgdc...

As far as the tune goes, there is nothing to "support." The OTS maps have to work on all vehicles that are in all sorts of conditions. There could be any number of contributing factors for why your car runs the way it does with this tune. Car is running fine though and doing what it's supposed to even if the logs don't look 100% ideal.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 12:58 PM   #9
ThatKidDavid
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What? This is a weak tune and you're hitting target boost with very little wgdc...

As far as the tune goes, there is nothing to "support." The OTS maps have to work on all vehicles that are in all sorts of conditions. There could be any number of contributing factors for why your car runs the way it does with this tune. Car is running fine though and doing what it's supposed to even if the logs don't look 100% ideal.
Sounds good, would it be acceptable to mix 3 gallons of e85 with 11 gallons 91 so I can run OTS aggressive maps?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 05:23 PM   #10
Charmuth
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

Can someone take a look at my log thread plz? *sorry to thread jack op lol*

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1324100

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 08:55 AM   #11
bNks334
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatKidDavid View Post
Sounds good, would it be acceptable to mix 3 gallons of e85 with 11 gallons 91 so I can run OTS aggressive maps?
I think people that don't have access to 93 octane sometimes mix in a few gallons of E85 to bump up the octane rating of their gasoline so they can run the 93 octane maps. However, I personally would not do this long-term. Just run a 91 octane tune...

If you mix in E85, you change the chemical properties of the fuel you're burning even if by only a marginal amount. A 93aki tune is not meant to run E85 mixes... the fuel tables are not setup to account for the lower stoich of the new mixture. You will be running the car leaner than intended.

If you want to run E85, get a custom tune that is properly calibrated to run it.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 04:10 PM   #12
MMcGyver
2013 135i 6MT MSport
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i 6MT Msport

Quote:
Everything looks perfectly normal... boost is right on target as is load. The timing corrections are superficial. There is 0 need to have ANY E85 in the tank with an ots map. Stock tune even sees -1.9/-3.8 during normal operation...

Not sure what this other guy is seeing in your logs, but there is no need to be worried about anything. From what I see the throttle is closing due to load exceeding requested. Timing is then sometimes pulled by the dme as a reaction to the thortitle closure.

Crank up the boost (if you have a chargepipe).

Replying hoping you're still on and may see this, or someone can advise if this is accurate?
Sorry for a bump. This is so far the best reply and info I've found related to my experiences so far with my 'new to me' N55 135. It's 100% STOCK no mods

Car only has 37k Miles (60,000 km)

Getting timing corrections from 1-7 Degrees under 'light load/tip in' for regular speed adjustments 27-40% load
just normal cruising/driving speed adjustments.

Under WOT 'log' pulls in 3rd gear all seems fine. It's only during these routine driving 'light loads' at cruising highway speeds or back road speeds 80+ km/h and in higher gears that I have corrections.

I've upped from 91 to 94, flashed to 0 maps, flashed to stock, flashed stage 1, all return about the same results.

Are you saying that this is just normal? Anyone have input on this? Why is the factory DME making these adjustments? is it seeing knock or is this just regular operation/adjustment?
Wish MHD showed me knock sensor input!
Appreciate 0