BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-24-2011, 04:21 AM   #23
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion5 View Post
These types of LED bulbs do not use resistors. The are actually within the same power range as a typical car headlight. If you used a resistor your headlight would catch fire. The black box also needs to respond to the electrical currents that the bulb check provides properly. The black box has some very complex circuitry in it.
The original H8 halogen bulb is not more than a resistor. Why wouldn't the black box be a simple dissipative resistor? Did you open one of the black boxes? Interested to see pictures on the black box contents or its electrical circuit schematic.

Last edited by eeghie; 12-24-2011 at 08:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 08:03 AM   #24
BMW Gator
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C8/R8/1M/X5/JK Rubicon/FJ40

Do not install these without using velcro inside the box
It works.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 11:14 AM   #25
Juiced1M
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
had my led setup installed and it faulted out my headlamp now i have one backorder from Germany
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 01:54 AM   #26
Powerbeast
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 RarriRot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1M View Post
had my led setup installed and it faulted out my headlamp now i have one backorder from Germany
The LUX lights,messed up your headlight?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 08:11 AM   #27
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

Never got the LUX H8's to work. Returned them. VERY DISAPPOINTED.
It wasn't an installation error. I had the best engineers install them.

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 08:15 AM   #28
Juiced1M
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Not the lux but a similar setup with the resistor and it must of gotten jammed into the leveler and totally damaged my Headlamp...

Im thinking I wont be re-installing them and just living with the stock PEE YELLOW ONES
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 11:05 PM   #29
Luca335
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
To be fair to Lux, there are many 1Ms on this forum with the Lux installed with no error, mine included. I installed mine myself and there was error at first, but thanks to the information in this forum, I was able to correct it in 5 minutes. I don't have an engineer degree either.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 02:13 AM   #30
scaramanga
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Looking to buy a 1M

Quote:
The lux H8 is actually one of the 2 best if not the best angel eye bulb solution you can buy for BMW's.
Out of interest, what is other one ? I don't thinking want to try Lux after reading people have had to replace headlight units! Scary...
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 04:31 PM   #31
Legion5
Major
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
The original H8 halogen bulb is not more than a resistor. Why wouldn't the black box be a simple dissipative resistor? Did you open one of the black boxes? Interested to see pictures on the black box contents or its electrical circuit schematic.
There are dozens of reasons why using a resistor in this sort of application would be a bad idea, but you could do it, it would just be the size of a roll of dimes and have to be mounted outside the headlight in a metal box and then you'd still have to make a circuit to dampen the bulb check.

I've actually gone so far as to engineer an LED angel eye solution. All of them are designed in the same way. It's just a high efficiency high power micro sized power supply, combined with a circuit to deal with the bulb check and all the other weird things the car does with these bulbs. It's not a resistor at all though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
The part fits and has the all the correct clearance. Trying to say it wasn't installation error is absurd. It's like giving someone a regulation sized basketball and a regulation sized net and then some dude telling you he is the best basketball player and him not being able to get the ball in the net wasn't HIS fault, it was the ball's because he's the best. It's just ridiculous. If your insaller is really telling you he is so great and blaming the part then those guys are exactaly the sort of people I would never let touch my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaramanga View Post
Out of interest, what is other one ? I don't thinking want to try Lux after reading people have had to replace headlight units! Scary...
The guy didn't have to replace his headlight unit because the LUX driver jammed his headlight, he had to replace it because another bulb's driver jammed it. The Lux isn't the right shape to jam the leveling unit as far as I remember, you'd need a less boxy driver to risk that. Either way if you tape the driver down it's not going anywhere so I wouldn't worry at all if you do it right, especially with a boxy driver like on the LUX. I recommend using the tape they use for putting numbers on the sides of houses, it's very solid, you can get that at hardware stores, it's grey. I've never seen it come loose.

I recommend the Angel iBright 3 and the Lux H8 and nothing else, for BMW's but i don't think the Angel iBright fits the 1M. The Angel iBright is even more difficult to instal though by far on the M3 though.

Clean cars are happy cars!
CANON PHOTOGRAPHER
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 05:21 PM   #32
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
There are dozens of reasons why using a resistor in this sort of application would be a bad idea, but you could do it, it would just be the size of a roll of dimes and have to be mounted outside the headlight in a metal box and then you'd still have to make a circuit to dampen the bulb check.

I've actually gone so far as to engineer an LED angel eye solution. All of them are designed in the same way. It's just a high efficiency high power micro sized power supply, combined with a circuit to deal with the bulb check and all the other weird things the car does with these bulbs. It's not a resistor at all though.
Interesting, so what is the nature of the bulb check signal and what oem bulb behavior has to be mimic-ed by the circuit?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #33
ipitythefoo
III II VIII XI
Rep
Drives: 2013 328xi Sport Line

I installed the LUX LED V3 Angel Eyes on my 135i for almost a week now and yesterday while I was driving inside an indoor parking lot, it gave me the adaptive light error.

Inside the indoor parking, it was basically a spiral going up. I was steering left the whole way for 6 levels and when I got to the 5th level the error came on. Once I've parked my car I realize when I move my steering wheel, my xenons will only move to the right.

However, when I was driving the car I noticed that the xenons do move to the left (as long as the car is moving). I recall the headlights were suppose to turn both ways even when I'm at a full stop. But now it's just moving to the right but not to the left.

Does anyone have the same issue? I uninstalled the LUX bulbs just in case... I hope the way I installed the ballast didn't do permanent damage to the headlights...
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #34
hybris4u
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 1-serie M Coupé and BMW X5

Do you guys still have problems with the Lux?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #35
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybris4u View Post
Do you guys still have problems with the Lux?
Very Happy with mine! No issues.

02-03-2012, 11:17 AM   #36
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Metak2you View Post
Very Happy with mine! No issues.

Looks good, while I think this is one of top 2 aftermarket solutions presently, if I have to nitpick:

1. Inner ring is still brighter
2. EYs are bluer than the eyebrow

1 is an inherent design flaw (BMW, not Lux), 2 is something Lux have said they can address in subsequent releases.

Seems the only way to tackle 1 is go for the OSS solution. Been thinking of going down that route, as they are local and I don't have to ship the headlights, and while at it can do the amber delete and also paint the interior parts in semi-gloss black.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #37
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1M View Post
Not the lux but a similar setup with the resistor and it must of gotten jammed into the leveler and totally damaged my Headlamp...

Im thinking I wont be re-installing them and just living with the stock PEE YELLOW ONES
You could always try the Xenesis (sp?) bulbs. I originally got a set of LEDS from HPA and was disappointed in the brightness so I threw them on my E91 (where they look GREAT) and got the Xenesis bulbs. They fall right in the middle between LEDs and Std for whiteness but are just as bright as the std bulbs (maybe even a bit brighter)

HTH

Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 05:43 AM   #38
hybris4u
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 1-serie M Coupé and BMW X5

Anyone else with adaptive lightning and the Lux h8 that have issues? How many have the adaptive lightning and it has worked without flaw?

I just installed them and not seen any issues yet but not seen if the adaptive lightning is turning. Need to check when its darker outside.

Is it just the box that can jam the adaptive lightning? Not the cables? The connection cable with the Lux is big and can move around. Not sure where the adaptive lightning mechanism is. Its hard to see in the crowded space...
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 06:32 AM   #39
///MbmC
Private
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 1 series M coupe Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipitythefoo
I installed the LUX LED V3 Angel Eyes on my 135i for almost a week now and yesterday while I was driving inside an indoor parking lot, it gave me the adaptive light error.

Inside the indoor parking, it was basically a spiral going up. I was steering left the whole way for 6 levels and when I got to the 5th level the error came on. Once I've parked my car I realize when I move my steering wheel, my xenons will only move to the right.

However, when I was driving the car I noticed that the xenons do move to the left (as long as the car is moving). I recall the headlights were suppose to turn both ways even when I'm at a full stop. But now it's just moving to the right but not to the left.

Does anyone have the same issue? I uninstalled the LUX bulbs just in case... I hope the way I installed the ballast didn't do permanent damage to the headlights...
It's in the manual somewhere, that when the car is parked, the xenons will not move towards the driver side when steering is turned that way. That's to prevent oncoming cars from being blinded.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 07:33 AM   #40
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybris4u View Post
Anyone else with adaptive lighting and the LUX H8 that have issues? How many have the adaptive lighting and it has worked without flaw?
I just installed them and not seen any issues yet but not seen if the adaptive lighting is turning. Need to check when its darker outside.
Is it just the box that can jam the adaptive lightning? Not the cables? The connection cable with the LUX is big and can move around. Not sure where the adaptive lightning mechanism is. It's hard to see in the crowded space...
Avoid the LUX resistor and cables/wires from getting jammed into the leveler (damaging the headlamp).

Name:  LUX_Box_Placement.jpg
Views: 1933
Size:  13.5 KBName:  LUX_Box_Placement2.jpg
Views: 1933
Size:  15.0 KB

Interesting comments not featuring in the current thread:

yemski: "I created this diagram to help others see where to place the resistor/power supply box that comes with LUX angels eyes. I rested it along the bottom edge of the headlight cover, aligned as shown by the red box in the diagram. Then I tested extensively at night and had no adaptive headlight errors and saw the adaptive headlights moving in both directions freely."
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=35

mikewills: "The placement of the box in the passenger side is very similar to the driver's side. The only different is the plastic post will be above the ballast instead of below."
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=42

Sheil: "A little word of wisdom, double tape or velcro the LUX ballast to the back of the headlight casing to avoid an unpleasant Adaptive Headlight failure surprise!!! Mine failed and I was able to swap the bulbs back to stock before taking it in to the dealer for a free under warranty replacement. However, to avoid any dealers refusing to take it under warranty and paying 1500K for a single adaptive Xenon housing replacement take my advice! ;-)"
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...50&postcount=4

ianf: "Just with adaptive headlights you have to secure the small ballast with some double-side tape else it can interfere with the movement."
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=13

v1k0d3n: "Use all weather velcro on the inside of the casing around the lights."
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=26

CH1M: "Just zip tied the wires and seated it well out of the way of the adaptive headlights."
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...9#post10484599

VO 1M: "There is an other option. Stick the ballast on the back of the H8 plug. The case will hold it against it, no where to go for the ballast.
The wiring you can push down on the inside (kidney side) of the headlight unit. There is enough space."

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...12&postcount=6
      09-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #41
KEI7
First Lieutenant
Japan
Rep
Drives: E61

Photos and pictures in this thread have been most helpful.

I installed mine several days ago and got the error message but fixed it with double-taping the ballast as shown in the photo.

BUT it sure is a pity that while LUX just sing about the performance aspect and do not note this issue or mention how it can be fixed (though being it so simple) in their manual with over a $200 price tag...
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #42
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEI-135i View Post
BUT it sure is a pity that while LUX just sing about the performance aspect and do not note this issue or mention how it can be fixed (though being it so simple) in their manual with over a $200 price tag...
Probably liability has all to do with this. Sadly, from their end it is better to not mention anything (and still have a 'at your own risk' disclaimer anyhow) than to say how it should be installed...
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 11:10 PM   #43
colefrechou
Cole Frechou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i M-Sport

I have tried tape and re-positioning it so many times and i keep getting the error. Any ideas? 2013 135i with lux h8 180s.
Appreciate 0