BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-14-2020, 01:13 PM   #375
dtla1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skotcoop View Post
Damn that looks so fun. I'm curious how insurance works with racing a street legal car. Are you covered if something happens? Or do they even know you race?
Usually your regular insurance will not cover any incidents on track. There are separate insurance policies you can buy for one day/track specific etc, google Track Day Insurance and you'll find a few.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2020, 01:16 PM   #376
dtla1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by blossom View Post
Hi Alex, I hope button worked out well! Maybe you even scored another PB!(they don't come easily though'-)

How are those power flex sub frame and diff bushs working out? Still solid/ not wearing/ still hard enough?

I need to do mine, right from the start and even the first test drive it was immediately obvious these were an issue and on top of that i fitted some new wheels with descent(ish) rubber a couple of days ago and the problem is even more accentuated now....hard braking at 200 over a minorish bump and the car jumps to one side by about a meter.. not too cool feeling!

You commented earlier in the thread about taking a solid bushed car home for the night and the NVH being an issue... Although Ive seen lots of people comment that solid bushs are not an issue and that its the diff bushs that will transmit noise.

Any thoughts to share?
I upgraded my rear Subframe bushings with the two piece whiteline ones.

However, I think what made the most significant change to decrease that rear end wobble over bumps (I get them over un-even pavement, depressed sewer grates, etc) is to upgrade your rear control arms. The M ones from the M3/1M are a direct swap and pretty easy to install. A few different sites sell complete kits with all 4 arms and a new bracket that's required.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 10:04 PM   #377
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
United_States
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [5.00]
Quote:
Damn that looks so fun. I'm curious how insurance works with racing a street legal car. Are you covered if something happens? Or do they even know you race?
Some companies (I think GEICO was one) used to insure for HPDE with certain organizers, maybe they still do, but I'm not sure. That's ONLY for non-competitive, non-timed driving. Companies do offer track day-specific insurance options, and may have options for time trial. RLI, Lockton, and Hagerty are a few examples. Depends on the car, but for my car it's $150 for a weekend.
      02-14-2020, 10:09 PM   #378
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by berns View Post
Update: Was close to running my 1:52 lap, but caught up to a buddy in his Vette and he slowed me down at the fastest part of the track unfortunately.
Still a PB, but I'll be back to get it on the 28th and 29th.
Ugh...I soooo need to get back on a track
      02-15-2020, 01:44 AM   #379
Skotcoop
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i A/T M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
Some companies (I think GEICO was one) used to insure for HPDE with certain organizers, maybe they still do, but I'm not sure. That's ONLY for non-competitive, non-timed driving. Companies do offer track day-specific insurance options, and may have options for time trial. RLI, Lockton, and Hagerty are a few examples. Depends on the car, but for my car it's $150 for a weekend.
Gotcha Thanks. I have GEICO so I'll have to ask once I get around to bringing mine to the track.
      02-15-2020, 01:59 AM   #380
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [5.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
Gotcha Thanks. I have GEICO so I'll have to ask once I get around to bringing mine to the track.
Be careful about asking, I've heard of a few people being kicked off their insurance for even asking. I'd carefully mull over your policy first
amg697589.50

02-21-2020, 03:28 PM   #381
amg6975
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 135, '05 ZHP, '09 fJCW,

Quote:
You are most certainly not covered by your regular insurance if you wad it up on the track. There is track day insurance you can buy though. I've seen people get minor damage and claim that it was done in the driveway hitting a stone wall or something, but that's probably straight up insurance fraud so I wouldn't really suggest it.

Of note though: AAA doesn't give a shit. They'll come get you from the parking lot with obvious track damage.
Appreciate 1