BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-04-2019, 03:46 AM   #1
pitoncho
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw e87

Help to retrofit ccc idrive controller

Hi guys!

My name is kike and i am from spain, y need some help o retrofit this thing.. my case is very particulary and i didnt see anything about this.

Well, at first i have an e87 of 2004, without screen or navigation, but i have radio professional and i have my center console with an idrive controller (ccc with one button)

I did buy this car last year, and i installed it an android radio 10,25 ; and it comes with a chinese idrive controller that doesnt work good. My question is, how can i wired or connect the idrive controller to the android radio? Because when i try to remove the ccc controller i see that it doesnt have any cable or anything else, so i need to do the instalation..

I read in internet that i need to do the cable manually, putting the pines:

4 pin connector:
1 - Red (12V)
2 - Brown/Black (GND)
3 - orange/green
4 - green( CAN)

But i dont know where i have those pines, i need to put wired it to my profesional radio cable?

thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 10:33 AM   #2
Captain Confused
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i, 1985 327i

I recently did a complete non iDrive car to complete Idrive swap over with CIC controller in my e82.

If I am reading this correctly you have a professional radio and are adding the android radio and screen that comes out the top of the dash where the factory idrive screen was installed?

If so the factory location where the controller has wires thats go into blank pins in a socket behind the glove box. I cant remember exactly which pins are needed to but this website should help with understanding your wiring harness.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 11:15 AM   #3
pitoncho
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Confused View Post
I recently did a complete non iDrive car to complete Idrive swap over with CIC controller in my e82.

If I am reading this correctly you have a professional radio and are adding the android radio and screen that comes out the top of the dash where the factory idrive screen was installed?

If so the factory location where the controller has wires thats go into blank pins in a socket behind the glove box. I cant remember exactly which pins are needed to but this website should help with understanding your wiring harness.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

Hello, thank you for your answer.

At first, i didnt explain very good;

I have the professional radio with 6 buttons (cd reader and aux) but i dont have any screen or navigation at factory. I did a cut an i install an android screen, but the other propietary try to do a retrofit of a ccc installation on the car i think, thats the reason why i have in the center console a idrive controller ccc, but it isnt working because it didnt have any wires o cables to the radio.

So, i need to know, how can i connect this idrive controller to the android screen.

Thank you soo much!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 02:14 PM   #4
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep
Drives: E87

This pseudo controller is already connected via "CAN" to the headunit, so you can try to connect the CCC Controller to this "X1 KEY" cable.
At the Android X1 Key the purple cables are CAN HIGH and CAN LOW.
at the Controller green and orange/green are CAN HIGH and CAN LOW.
If it don`t work you can try to connect it to the CAN cables of the QUAD-LOCK Connector that goes to the car.
It`s unknown if the CAN of the HU is Split to "after" the HU and "before" with some kind of CAN-Filter.

i don`t know which one is high and which low, so you have to try by yourself and at your own risk.

personally i think a CIC controller will give you a better control ability, as it has more buttons.

The question is if the controller will stay "online" when there is no Headunit, or if it will shutdown.

I don`t know anyone who tried this yet, so any information if this will work or not would be great

sincerely Chri
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 07:23 AM   #5
pitoncho
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kri View Post
This pseudo controller is already connected via "CAN" to the headunit, so you can try to connect the CCC Controller to this "X1 KEY" cable.
At the Android X1 Key the purple cables are CAN HIGH and CAN LOW.
at the Controller green and orange/green are CAN HIGH and CAN LOW.
If it don`t work you can try to connect it to the CAN cables of the QUAD-LOCK Connector that goes to the car.
It`s unknown if the CAN of the HU is Split to "after" the HU and "before" with some kind of CAN-Filter.

i don`t know which one is high and which low, so you have to try by yourself and at your own risk.

personally i think a CIC controller will give you a better control ability, as it has more buttons.

The question is if the controller will stay "online" when there is no Headunit, or if it will shutdown.

I don`t know anyone who tried this yet, so any information if this will work or not would be great

sincerely Chri

First, thank you soo much for your answer.

I know that people doesnt retrofit this for an android unit, i saw in other post, that people who connect this cables to the radio (because the radio has a cube with pin an connectors) , quadlock extension its the name i think, and i want to connect the pines to that extension.. i dont know if it is the great way to connect it or if i need to connect it in the fuse box..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 02:27 PM   #6
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep
Drives: E87

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitoncho View Post
First, thank you soo much for your answer.

I know that people doesnt retrofit this for an android unit, i saw in other post, that people who connect this cables to the radio (because the radio has a cube with pin an connectors) , quadlock extension its the name i think, and i want to connect the pines to that extension.. i dont know if it is the great way to connect it or if i need to connect it in the fuse box..
Yes thats the Quadlock, you also can connect it directly to this.

Chri
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 09:21 AM   #7
pitoncho
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kri View Post
Yes thats the Quadlock, you also can connect it directly to this.

Chri
Thank you, i will try that, i will comment here if it works!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 02:58 PM   #8
pitoncho
Private
Rep

Well, this afternoon, i tried to connect the wired to that pines (pin 9, 11, 12 and 15 of the quadlock radio) .

The menu button of the idrive controller light, but it doesnt work on the android screen...
Anyone can suggested me other thing?

I dont know what can i do to make it work..

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 07:49 AM   #9
pitoncho
Private
Rep

any suggest guys?

I dont know what can i do..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 03:45 PM   #10
Kretzj
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Hello all,

I don’t want to hijack this thread but I have a similar question. I have a non idrive 135i and I also just bought an android unit that came with a very cheap CIC idrive controller. I am interested in swapping to a real CIC controller if this is even possible like the original post. My knockoff controller has 4 pins (yellow,black,green,gr/blk) that plug into the android and the other end has an additional black wire (5 now) that plug into the controller. From what I can see, a real idrive controller has a 4 pin connector on it. Any ideas if this retrofit is possible or am I stuck with the cheap chinese CIC controller?

Thanks,
Jon
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 09:17 AM   #11
DaveyLC
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kretzj View Post
Hello all,

I don’t want to hijack this thread but I have a similar question. I have a non idrive 135i and I also just bought an android unit that came with a very cheap CIC idrive controller. I am interested in swapping to a real CIC controller if this is even possible like the original post. My knockoff controller has 4 pins (yellow,black,green,gr/blk) that plug into the android and the other end has an additional black wire (5 now) that plug into the controller. From what I can see, a real idrive controller has a 4 pin connector on it. Any ideas if this retrofit is possible or am I stuck with the cheap chinese CIC controller?

Thanks,
Jon
Hi Jon,

Did you get anywhere with this? I'm trying to use a genuine CIC controller with the 10.25" headunit in a car that didnt have CIC originally.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 09:25 PM   #12
335dbc
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyLC View Post
Hi Jon,

Did you get anywhere with this? I'm trying to use a genuine CIC controller with the 10.25" headunit in a car that didnt have CIC originally.

Any luck on this?
Same issue as you guys. Wondering if a OEM Idrive controller will work with the android screen instead of the controller that came with the unit.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 01:09 PM   #13
rodsarria
Registered
Peru
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kretzj View Post
Hello all,

Thanks,
Jon
Trying to revive this thread, seems we are a bunch having the same question and still I haven't found a confirmed retrofit. Did you guys have any luck on this or did you just give up? pitoncho Kretzj DaveyLC 335dbc please share if you managed to do it.

I see that the BMW CIC iDrive controller has a 4-pin connector, just as the Android unit has also a 4-pin connector for its replica iDrive controller. I've read on one thread that the OEM controller needs a "wake up signal", but also on that same thread a guy says that it works. I just can't confirm if he had the original CIC unit or not.

I hear you guys...
Appreciate 0