BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-08-2019, 06:40 AM   #1
City Pig
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Motor Mouth: The hypocrisy of armchair environmentalism

Motor Mouth: The hypocrisy of armchair environmentalism
Climate change activists are always saying that we need to listen to scientists — perhaps it’s time they paid attention, too
by DAVID BOOTH

https://driving.ca/features/feature-...vironmentalism

“Believe the scientists” is probably the most common refrain uttered by the modern environmentalist. Frustrated by climate change denial, the reference points to the vast library of published documentation saying we humans are consuming too much and sequestering — the act of capturing and storing/using of carbon dioxide — too little. Whether you think climate change is a problem — just one of the many facing mankind — or a crisis — that we are all headed for certain doom as a result of global warming — the data is pretty damning. Earth’s current warming phase may be at least in part caused by normal cyclicality, but there can be little doubt that we humans are contributing to our own discomfit.

Where that faith in science seems to fall by the wayside, however, is in how to best address our failings, i.e. how to reduce the amount of greenhouse gasses we generate. Indeed, after reading Drawdown, a compendium of leading scientists and authors’ advice on how to not just arrest, but reverse global warming, it would seem that the typical armchair environmentalist — certainly the ones that clog up the comment section of my columns here — are just as hypocritical as the deniers they so denigrate.

Drawdown bills itself as “the most comprehensive plan ever proposed to reverse global warming.” That might seem a trifle ambitious, but the book does detail, cost, and engineer a series of 100 action plans that don’t just slow down the earth’s warming, but draws down — “the point in time at which greenhouse gases peak and begin to decline on a year-to-year basis” — emissions within the next three decades. And while I don’t agree with all its conclusions — someone should tell editor Paul Hawken that all the Chinese “enthusiasts” he credits with jump-starting an EV revolution are actually being coerced into buying an electric vehicle — Project Drawdown’s calculation of the amount of carbon dioxide each alternative can mitigate and how much said reduction/sequestering will cost is as comprehensive a plan as I have seen.

Two conclusions stand out after wading through Drawdown’s compendium of charts, calculations and conclusions. The first — no surprise — is that achieving carbon neutrality will require a commitment so complete, both in action and participation, that one really has to wonder whether we have it in us. The second, and by far the more troubling, is that populism — setting public policy according to their popularity amongst the constituency, i.e. climate change activists — is actually the biggest roadblock to reducing/reversing global warming.

For instance, with the incredible amount of attention paid to such high-profile emitters like cars and cow farts, I was absolutely gobsmacked to discover that more effective disposal of the chemicals used in air conditioning and refrigeration — supposedly 1,000 to 9,000 more deleterious to global warming than carbon dioxide — would represent the greatest boon to greenhouse gas reduction, the reduction of 89.74 gigatons of CO2 (equivalents) projected almost nine times what the authors predict electric vehicles will save.

Want more hard, scientific proof that we’re not barking up the right tree? Well, picture this: All of the carbon dioxide reductions that Drawdown is projecting for the entire global transportation industry — cars, trucks, mass transit, electric bicycles, and yes, Greta, the airplanes you so assiduously denigrate — is barely more than half the amount (45.68 gigatons) we’d save if we just built more windmills (84.60 gigatons). The same is true of simply reducing the amount of food we waste — and, no, I am not talking about eliminating animal protein from our diets — which would see 70.53 gigatons of carbon dioxide disappear.

Perhaps the most telling example of skewed priorities, however, is Drawdown’s 24th ranked recommendation — improved rice cultivation. It would seem that by planting seeds earlier, watering more efficiently and a better tending of crop, we could eliminate 11.34 gigatons of CO2 from rice production. For a little reference here, the authors’ somewhat ambitious projections for electric vehicles is just 10.80 gigatons. Yes, just farming rice more efficiently — and, to be completely clear, I am talking about just one crop, not all agricultural production — is a more effective policy than everything we plan for the electrification of the automobile. Oh, and by the way, superior rice farming won’t cost a penny, not a blessed cent. Drawdown’s projected cost for automotive electrification, meanwhile, is US$14.15 trillion. Funny how one doesn’t seem to see many 500,000-person marches proclaiming the need for a new System of Rice Intensification.

Now, no one is proposing that the automotive industry discontinue its march to an emissions-reduced future. But how is it that the top three reduction mechanisms identified by Project Drawdown — refrigeration, wind turbines and reducing food waste, which together represent fully 23 per cent of the 1,052.06 gigatons that the authors claim is pragmatically and practically reduceable — generate so little public awareness? Are we really so shallow that the desire to be seen driving the latest ‘green’ status symbol is headline news while we completely ignore the more effective — but far less status-elevating — recycling of our refrigerators? Are we, in fact, so glutinous that reducing food waste is more palatable than Ms. Thunberg’s contention that we forgo all airline travel? And generating the electricity that will propel our electric cars by windmill would seem a complete no-brainer, except that the same voice that loudly calls for a complete elimination of internal combustions is probably equally NIMBYish — not in my back yard — should anything blight the view off their back porch.

So, with wind-powered electricity in mind, I will leave you with one final set of numbers — a calculation by Yours Truly, but one based on the data in Drawdown. Tesla fans are fond of claiming that their miracle cars are the automotive industry’s only salvation, that anything less than pure battery-power — hybrids, plug-in hybrids, etc. — will simply not reduce tailpipe emissions sufficiently to save the planet. Using the information in Drawdown — and some quick estimations based on the performance of the long-range plug-in Polestar 1 I drove earlier this week — it turns out that converting wholesale to PHEVs, rather than pure battery-powered electrics, would increase CO2 emissions by less than 0.1 per cent of those 1,052.06 gigatons that the authors claim could be reduced by 2050. No trillions of dollars wasted on a complete overhaul of our refueling/recharging infrastructure, no interminable waits on the side of the highway for recharging and yet the difference in emissions production would be about one one-hundredth of a cost-effective conversion to windmills.

Such, my friends, is the hypocrisy of armchair environmentalism.
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2019, 07:30 AM   #2
TomHudson
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Excellent,

I would only add that the EU is pushing most of this agenda, because they’re economy is driven by foreign oil, gas and coal.
By getting other economies to ditch their reliance on fossil fuels, through taxation, the front runner for all this green tech is the EU.
Germany holds 90% of the tech for medium wind speed turbines and other green tech.
The EU has done an excellent job at creating division with their competitive countries, like Canada and the US.

It’s not the Russians sowing the seeds of discontent, it’s the EU, with its faltering business model of unification.

Every country, has had a front page article outline stating that “country X” has twice to three times above average concentrations of GHGs....
Just more BS of fear, to shutdown competitive economies..
Appreciate 2
MKSixer15451.50

11-08-2019, 07:39 AM   #3
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

"not a blessed cent"
Ouch.

Of course we all need to improve ourselves, I try, but the whole sky is falling narrative is just ridiculous.
Sheep food.

Jane Fonda the other day...We only have 11 years!

Stfu you propaganda spewing loon.
      11-08-2019, 07:45 AM   #4
ScottSinger
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Dribble from the same coconuts that are more worried about killings in Mexico then a massacre in a U.S. school.

Last edited by ScottSinger; 11-08-2019 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 08:44 AM   #5
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Attached Images

Appreciate 4
Delta03117353.50
Now_Rudi6313.00
lab_rat208.00

11-08-2019, 10:10 AM   #6
BimmerBoomer
demoted
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Sportback

electrification is no big deal...

The auto industry is spending the big bucks on developing autonomous vehicles. Direct injection and turbocharging have done a great deal to increase fuel economy. Some of the partial electrification - such a the new 48V "mild hybrid" systems - is aimed more at autonomy than reducing carbon dioxide.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 10:20 AM   #7
pennsiveguy
Shows initiative whenever directed to do so
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
There's an old joke that goes "You know the difference between a contractor and an environmentalist? The contractor wants to build a house in the forest, and the environmentalist already owns one."
Delta03117353.50

11-08-2019, 10:39 AM   #8
pennsiveguy
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Climate alarmism is a symptom of a larger problem: pandemic scientific illiteracy.

Case in point:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihydr...onoxide_parody

The education system has - consciously or otherwise - created generations of sheeple who can be far too easily fooled in matters even vaguely scientific in nature. And unscrupulous opportunists have been happily exploiting the easily-duped masses for decades now, to the detriment of the individuals and society alike. The GMO panic, gluten-free diet fad, anti-vaxxers...plenty of manifestations of this phenomenon.

Help stamp out scientific illiteracy, starting at home. Teach your kids science. Encourage and praise reason, curiosity, skepticism, and experimentation. It'll be fun!

(said the child of 2 science teachers)
lakefront191.00
lab_rat208.00

11-08-2019, 11:12 AM   #9
ScottSinger
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
Climate alarmism is a symptom of a larger problem: pandemic scientific illiteracy.

Case in point:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihydr...onoxide_parody

The education system has - consciously or otherwise - created generations of sheeple who can be far too easily fooled in matters even vaguely scientific in nature. And unscrupulous opportunists have been happily exploiting the easily-duped masses for decades now, to the detriment of the individuals and society alike. The GMO panic, gluten-free diet fad, anti-vaxxers...plenty of manifestations of this phenomenon.
Help stamp out scientific illiteracy, starting at home. Teach your kids science. Encourage and praise reason, curiosity, skepticism, and experimentation. It'll be fun!
(said the child of 2 science teachers)
The RELIGIOUS system has - consciously or otherwise - created generations of sheeple. who can be far to easily fooled in matters even vaguely spiritual in nature. And unscrupulous opportunist have been happily exploiting the easily-duped masses for millennium now, to the detriment of the individuals and society
alike. The resurrection panic, evangelical fad, anti-abortioners...plenty of manifestations of this phenomenon.

Help stamp out religious zealotry, starting at home. Teach your kids evolution. Encourage and praise reason, curiosity, skepticism, and parables. It'll be fun!
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2019, 11:18 AM   #10
pennsiveguy
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
The RELIGIOUS system has - consciously or otherwise - created generations of sheeple. who can be far to easily fooled in matters even vaguely spiritual in nature. And unscrupulous opportunist have been happily exploiting the easily-duped masses for millennium now, to the detriment of the individuals and society
alike. The resurrection panic, evangelical fad, anti-abortioners...plenty of manifestations of this phenomenon.

Help stamp out religious zealotry, starting at home. Teach your kids evolution. Encourage and praise reason, curiosity, skepticism, and parables. It'll be fun!
Yup, also critical. Well stated.
      11-08-2019, 11:25 AM   #11
pennsiveguy
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post

During the Enlightenment, arguably the most intellectually bountiful period in human history, science was thought of as the explanation of God. In fundamentalism, it's seen as the enemy of God, the opposite of God. Not a positive trend.
lab_rat208.00

11-08-2019, 11:34 AM   #12
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Exactly, science and religion are the twin pillars that founded western civilization. Look at the french revolution for example of science devoid of religion and meaning and how people then act.
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2019, 01:05 PM   #13
NickyC
Major General
Rep
Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(

Set to snap all kinds of cold records here in the coming days all over the US, personally I can't ever remember late October/early November being this shitty (not to mention the summer we had was incredibly cool). It's looking like five months of winter here in St. Louis, what a joke. The winters here have been getting progressively worse lately, coincidentally the sun has fallen asleep (sunspot activity) but since we can't tax or control that it's obviously not the issue.

Of course, global warming means record cold winters according to some bullshit inane article I read a few days ago. The only ones who believe in the debunked hockey stick or the idea there's "97% scientific consensus concerning GW" will never be convinced otherwise, they're too invested in the bullshit to ever admit being wrong.
Appreciate 2
Delta03117353.50
arkie6348.00

11-09-2019, 04:12 PM   #14
WestRace
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

Actually the number of thing that keeps me up at night is not carbon emissions. It's the growth of human populations. Keep the population growth under control, you keep the growth of carbon - in all facets.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 05:15 PM   #15
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Set to snap all kinds of cold records here in the coming days all over the US, personally I can't ever remember late October/early November being this shitty (not to mention the summer we had was incredibly cool). It's looking like five months of winter here in St. Louis, what a joke. The winters here have been getting progressively worse lately, coincidentally the sun has fallen asleep (sunspot activity) but since we can't tax or control that it's obviously not the issue.

Of course, global warming means record cold winters according to some bullshit inane article I read a few days ago. The only ones who believe in the debunked hockey stick or the idea there's "97% scientific consensus concerning GW" will never be convinced otherwise, they're too invested in the bullshit to ever admit being wrong.

Don't forget that our costal cities will be buried under water soon. Yet costal properties are selling quite well and banks are more than happy to provide mortgages for them.

This is all BS designed around passing all sorts of taxes. The elites scaring the sheep into handing over the last few dollars they have.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 08:47 PM   #16
vreihen16
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
Don't forget that our costal cities will be buried under water soon. Yet costal properties are selling quite well and banks are more than happy to provide mortgages for them.
In 2008, mortgage holders were writing off loans because houses were figuratively under water. It's not too much of a stretch for them to write off more loans in 2028 for houses that are literally under water.....
      11-09-2019, 11:20 PM   #17
WestRace
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

Guess which countries among the most populous? India and China.

The world's worst air

https://graphics.reuters.com/INDIA-P...24L/index.html
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 12:55 AM   #18
pennsiveguy
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Don't forget that our costal cities will be buried under water soon...
If the coasts really were going to be underwater any day now, as the liberals insist they are, where would all the liberals live? They'd live in Kansas, of course.

Where do almost all of the liberals actually live? That's right...on the coasts. So they're either lying, or stupid. Not my kind of people, either way.
vreihen16777.50
lab_rat208.00

11-10-2019, 01:56 PM   #19
arkie6
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Don't forget that our coastal cities will be buried under water soon. Yet coastal properties are selling quite well and banks are more than happy to provide mortgages for them.

This is all BS designed around passing all sorts of taxes. The elites scaring the sheep into handing over the last few dollars they have.
Yep. At the current rate of sea level rise in San Francisco, which is the same rate it has been rising for the past 100+ years (<2 mm/yr), it will take another 150 years to rise 1 foot. Easily manageable. Not alarming.

http://www.sealevel.info/MSL_graph.php?id=san+francisco
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      11-11-2019, 03:37 PM   #20
TomHudson
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRace View Post
Actually the number of thing that keeps me up at night is not carbon emissions. It's the growth of human populations. Keep the population growth under control, you keep the growth of carbon - in all facets.
Curious, the Paris accord is designed to bring 100’s of millions of people into the middle class that will absolutely need......more energy.

They also don’t have the pesky restrictions that 1st world countries have for emissions.

It’s socialism (wealth redistribution) on a global scale.
Appreciate 3
      11-11-2019, 05:41 PM   #21
adc100
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Forester XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6 View Post
Yep. At the current rate of sea level rise in San Francisco, which is the same rate it has been rising for the past 100+ years (<2 mm/yr), it will take another 150 years to rise 1 foot. Easily manageable. Not alarming.
You do realize that this does not mean the water is only going to "come inland" by 8". Depending on the slope of the land this could mean water moves inland by many many feet or even miles
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 05:59 PM   #22
arkie6
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc100 View Post
You do realize that this does not mean the water is only going to "come inland" by 8". Depending on the slope of the land this could mean water moves inland by many many feet or even miles
Yes, I understand the difference between vertical and horizontal.
Appreciate 0