///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Are you actually reading the thread? No hate here???

First, there IS a reply from someone that HAS had it installed on their cars and it has yellowed and they want it off.
Indeed nacho, that's me that has it, and can't wait to take it off. I don't know if I can be categorized as a 'hater', but even if so, it comes with the personal experience of having one.

I can confirm that it has yellowed (and highly visible at that even though the car is blue), and 3M has done zippo on that alleged warranty speculated above. And here are the stats on the car: have had it for 4 yrs, Northeast, 31K miles on the car, and car is being garaged 24/7, all highway mileage, so it has not been 'beat up' by the sun over its lifespan, in fact it has been quite babied.

Given the proclaimed warranty is not something the manufacturer steps up to the plate on, the cost of a 3M is the same as respraying the bumper, so going forward I'll likely opt for that rather than endure the rather ugly look of a 3M bra (or perhaps VentureShield as reviews seem to be good).

So back on topic to the trakk tape...
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #46
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
I can confirm that it has yellowed (and highly visible at that even though the car is blue), and 3M has done zippo on that alleged warranty speculated above. And here are the stats on the car: have had it for 4 yrs, Northeast, 31K miles on the car, and car is being garaged 24/7, all highway mileage, so it has not been 'beat up' by the sun over its lifespan, in fact it has been quite babied.
Sorry to hear your unfortunate experience with your clear bra. I've had mine for 5 years in the Houston heat with no issues to complain about.

The alleged warranty is posted on their website, so I guess that doesn't make it legit? Why aren't you going through your Clear Bra installer? For the money I invested in mine, I would definitely see to it that 3M lives up to their warranty. Just my $0.02.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #47
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
It's a free country last time I checked where people can exchange ideas. We are exchanging ideas between fans and just because they are different than yours, it's not cool to just start calling people haters!
Really??? Who's trying to supress your opinions? There seems to be a distinct divide on paint protection films, you hate it or love it. No ill intentions on the usage of "hater". Many factors can attribute to the yellowing of paint protection films such as the manufacturer and how it was cared for.

Most people buy PPFs to protect their cars from road debris and not necessarily the weather. The paint on today's BMWs are not very durable. I already have two chips on my hood and I'm not even daily driving it. Respaying the bumper isn't a big deal, but when you're talking about the hood and fenders I'd rather spend $500 on a 3M clear bra any day. A respray diminishes the value of your car and you'll never get it to match perfectly with the rest of the car.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #48
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

In case you forgot you just wholesale discounted anyone that preferred not to get bra as haters who had never actually done it. That was not the case in the thread. If you can't see it then at least move on so we can get on to Trakktape for those of us that don't feel a clear bra is the best solution for us when on the track or autocross. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #49
RaptorKTM
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 M Coupe

Garage List
2011 BMW 1 M  [0.00]
Just used my new roll of trakk tape on a buddies car for a work related road trip. The product seemed to work great. I added 3 layers of tape over each other to increase overall thickness in certain area, we definitely heard and saw rocks flying and after removal not a single issue. What I will say is you want to make sure that the tape does start to come up because if dirt gets under the tape, the air smacking the tape on the car will act almost like sand paper so I think making sure all your edges are down correctly is critical, bubbles however make no difference, this stuff looks pretty bad when its on the car, but its the function that matters. Overall very happy.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #50
turbomzi
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorKTM View Post
Just used my new roll of trakk tape on a buddies car for a work related road trip. The product seemed to work great. I added 3 layers of tape over each other to increase overall thickness in certain area, we definitely heard and saw rocks flying and after removal not a single issue. What I will say is you want to make sure that the tape does start to come up because if dirt gets under the tape, the air smacking the tape on the car will act almost like sand paper so I think making sure all your edges are down correctly is critical, bubbles however make no difference, this stuff looks pretty bad when its on the car, but its the function that matters. Overall very happy.
Well said, I used it for a track day and it worked like a charm for the purpose of protection. Would use it again for the next one.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 01:09 AM   #51
RaptorKTM
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 M Coupe

Garage List
2011 BMW 1 M  [0.00]
Did you find it took wax off or anything like that?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 10:31 AM   #52
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Not for me. No residue, can't tell it was on except on the windows, it leaves them super-clean where the tape was so in some light, you can tell the tape was there.

Raptor, I wasn't able to make the autocross, my apologies. My son's had a soccer game and had to go to it. I'm here in San Diego, if you want to try some, let me know. I just got a 600 foot roll.

Did you get yours at BMW Vista and have black autocross wheels? I met someone at an autocross a few months back.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 04:58 PM   #53
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
Thanks for posting this! I just ordered mine and Dave corresponded with me a little via email and he seems like a very stand up guy! I'll report back after my VIR weekend in May!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 12:47 PM   #54
apexdc
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotus Elise (former 540i owner

Thanks from TrakkTape!

I just wanted to pop onto the site and say thanks again for all the support!

I thought you might be interested in seeing this nice spot on European Car's web site:

http://www.europeancarweb.com/tech/1...tion_products/

Remember, you 1Addicts get a nice discount on the big rolls. Use this link http://www.trakkrats.com/Ordering.html. Go all the way to the bottom and put BMW120 into the Racers Net box. The roll will be discounted from $145 to $120. That is six times as much tape for less than twice the price of the 100 foot 6" wide rolls.

Hope you are all having a great summer!

David Christian
trakktape.com
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 06:05 PM   #55
apexdc
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotus Elise (former 540i owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexdc View Post
I just wanted to pop onto the site and say thanks again for all the support!

I thought you might be interested in seeing this nice spot on European Car's web site:

http://www.europeancarweb.com/tech/1...tion_products/

Remember, you 1Addicts get a nice discount on the big rolls. Use this link http://www.trakkrats.com/Ordering.html. Go all the way to the bottom and put BMW120 into the Racers Net box. The roll will be discounted from $145 to $120. That is six times as much tape for less than twice the price of the 100 foot 6" wide rolls.

Hope you are all having a great summer!

David Christian
trakktape.com

Hi, I just wanted to let eveyone know that TrakkTape is now on Amazon, so shipping is even better and pricing is lower, too!

BTW, regarding clear bra use. I started TrakkTape to try to get something to protect my clear bra from small cuts that could not be repaired. Some of the new bras are supposed to be sort of self healing, but I confess I don't know much about them.

I had my Lotus repainted recently, as I did some custom work. I decided not to put on a new clear bra. I never really cared for the look. I find that using TrakkTape on track and touching up an occassional small ding on the street keeps me plenty happy. I can touch up the paint, but not the bra.

Thanks again for all your support! David at trakktape.com

Appreciate 0