02-28-2014, 08:33 AM   #23
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
still not the same thing man!!! that idea sounds so weird.

(I have my window down all the time in my 135is so I can hear the snap crackle pop of that beautiful performance exhaust! lol)
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 11:18 AM   #24
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post

(I have my window down all the time in my 135is so I can hear the snap crackle pop of that beautiful performance exhaust! lol)
Actually, the 135is stock exhaust sounds better imo than the stock 1M exhaust. The most and essentially only disappointing part of the 1M I believe, begging for some kind of an upgrade from day one.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 11:35 AM   #25
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Sorry, man, believe me trying to let go! I have no problem with amplifying with resonators, pipes whatever. I would run a pipe in the cabin if I could...: ) A digital sound track that you can't turn off crosses the line for me but lets leave it at that. All I'm saying is that there are still many that will appreciate the simplicity of the 1M over some of the new offerings.

let's not paint every vehicle or manufacturer employing enhanced sound with the same brush...

Perhaps I am wrong... but my understanding is that the only car with a " digital sound track " is the BMW M5.

Checkit.. the M3 M4 system is not the same as the M5...

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=893548

AFAIK, the other vehicles that have some sort of enhanced sound are simply from methods where ACTUAL engine sound is directed into the cabin. Again.. why there would be a major fuss over this.... I really don't understand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
The 1Addicts member who test drove the new M235i recently featured on the front page of Bimmerpost.com mentioned that when you roll down(or open?) the front windows the active sound switches off.

Well that makes sense... because the raison d'etre for active sound in is that modern cars are so quiet insiide due to all the normal sound deadening , better seals, quiter turbo motors, etc that manufacturers feel the driver should be able to hear the motor better.

manufacturers get to tout low DB interior noise tests at idle or low rpm... and the driver gets to hear the car better at high rpm without being subjected to an exhaust that drones or is boomy due to to attempting to create more sound in the cabin with a louder exhaust system.

Quote:

I bet a good coder could defeat it permanently, if someone so desired!

As far as going so far to code it out... I am sure many with offended sensibilities will do this..although it sure seems to be counterintuitive to do so.

Even still... Isnt the PROOF in the pudding? Who here is aware of owners complaining that the car sounds BAD or AWFUL or HORRIBLE due to the enhanced sound? it seems that most owners of these vehicles LOVE the way they sound.... I did find this video showing the difference betweeen it on and off..

http://jalopnik.com/5973177/this-is-...-by-a-computer

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 02-28-2014 at 12:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 04:55 PM   #26
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo
Quote:

Actually, the 135is stock exhaust sounds better imo than the stock 1M exhaust. The most and essentially only disappointing part of the 1M I believe, begging for some kind of an upgrade from day one.
I've heard that from others here too....pretty surprising! is it true though that the 1M has less insulation than other 1ers so you hear more engine and exhaust?

if I buy a 1M next year I will definitely put in a new exhaust....probably my only 'mod'
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 07:26 PM   #27
Reedomn
Major
Rep
Drives: Lambo Huracan/RR Velar/C8

Quote:
I've heard that from others here too....pretty surprising! is it true though that the 1M has less insulation than other 1ers so you hear more engine and exhaust?

if I buy a 1M next year I will definitely put in a new exhaust....probably my only 'mod'

???...this is just not true....not that it can't be improved but I have owned both...the 1M sounds much better.....IMHO .......
e36 M3, e30 M3........
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 10:22 PM   #28
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedomn
Quote:

???...this is just not true....not that it can't be improved but I have owned both...the 1M sounds much better.....IMHO .......
you've owned a 135is?

it sounds very different than a standard 135i. the 135is sounds downright snorty and evil.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 08:57 AM   #29
Reedomn
Major
Rep
Drives: Lambo Huracan/RR Velar/C8

Quote:
you've owned a 135is?

it sounds very different than a standard 135i. the 135is sounds downright snorty and evil.
My mistake...wife had a 135i...not "is"....now I have to go hear one !!
e36 M3, e30 M3........
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 09:11 AM   #30
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
you've owned a 135is?

Yes, not the regular 135i, the is! Also the 335is and Z435is, they all were sounding better than the 1M. I don't even understand why BMW did not give us exact same exhaust of (one of) these cars, especially the Z4 since that is the exact same engine we share. Maybe I wouldn't even care to upgrade if that would be the case.

Having said all these, we probably owe all these wonderful aftermarket options thanks to BMW failing to offer a good stock exhaust as well as not offering a competition exhaust. So thanks BMW, even when you decided to go cheap or hurry up things it worked for something good
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 10:22 AM   #31
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Klepper (member from this forum) has both the 1M and 135is....he had talked me about the differences between the 2 cars when I was shopping them last summer. the exhaust was one of the only advantages...lol

(btw, sorry to the original poster for deviating from the original discussion!)
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 01:02 PM   #32
Splinterz88
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.86]
Well Toni sad to see you letting the 1 go, but hope to see you back at the track when the new m3/m4 comes out.
#446 of 740
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 12:36 AM   #33
l888apex
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: #30/740 BSM 1M

Just to corroborate, yes the 135is exhaust is WAY better sounding and seems to flow better. The snap/crackle/pop on that one is addictive!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 08:26 PM   #34
kskpsu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M; E90 M3 ZCP; M4 GTS

Garage List
'11 BMW 1M  [9.83]
Quote:
The 1Addicts member who test drove the new M235i recently featured on the front page of Bimmerpost.com mentioned that when you roll down(or open?) the front windows the active sound switches off.

I bet a good coder could defeat it permanently, if someone so desired!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///BYU View Post
Did your dealer charge anything for this? I've mentioned it to two dealers and both said they would do it - for a price ($500-ish).

Also, does anyone know how much time is allowed to pass between the sale and the purchase? For example, let's say I sell a car to a private party, but the sale goes through a dealer. How much time do I have to buy a car from the dealer and still be able to take advantage of the tax savings?

On a related note, I think it's dumb that the tax treatment is different for private party transactions and dealer transactions. If I sell a car and buy a car, why should the tax treatment depend on who the other party is? Not that there aren't bigger problems for people to be working on...

Sorry for the post.
$500 is typical, dealers trying to get their cut since you have snubbed them thousands by not trading in. In fact, I did it today picking up our X5M and my buyer purchasing our X3. You'll want to ensure your buyer doesn't come from a state where there is a tax advantage by purchasing from a private seller, as the dealer will become the seller of record and you could be shifting the burden (could be ways to offset that, like adjusting your purchase price to make it mutually beneficial)

I know you can have your trade "on-file" for a period of time, it does not need to be a simultaneous transaction. Not sure how long though...dealers can confirm that.
      03-09-2014, 08:48 PM   #35
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by l888apex View Post
Just to corroborate, yes the 135is exhaust is WAY better sounding and seems to flow better. The snap/crackle/pop on that one is addictive!
My boss has a 1M and told me he thinks the 135is exhaust sounds as good if not better than the 1M. I had to convince him that I wasn't running an aftermarket exhaust.

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 09:01 PM   #36
analogue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, iX

I received an unsolicited offer in the mail from one of the local dealers in Houston to buy my 1M. $51,660 cash or $52,660 on a trade-in.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 10:20 PM   #37
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMsport View Post
My boss has a 1M and told me he thinks the 135is exhaust sounds as good if not better than the 1M. I had to convince him that I wasn't running an aftermarket exhaust.

135is sounds good too. 1M a little louder but both sound great. M235i does not compare to either IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 01:05 PM   #38
Klepper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Quote:
Klepper (member from this forum) has both the 1M and 135is....he had talked me about the differences between the 2 cars when I was shopping them last summer. the exhaust was one of the only advantages...lol

(btw, sorry to the original poster for deviating from the original discussion!)
I drive a 1M and my wife drives a 135is. IMHO, the 135is exhaust sounds a lot better than the 1M. There is something about the N55 and that BMWPE that just sounds great!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 09:06 PM   #39
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klepper1 View Post
I drive a 1M and my wife drives a 135is. IMHO, the 135is exhaust sounds a lot better than the 1M. There is something about the N55 and that BMWPE that just sounds great!
Same with the 335is ... Much snarlier ...
Appreciate 0