BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-06-2019, 12:16 AM   #1
Kerbouchard
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i ZTR

Turner N52 Intake impressions?

Anyone tried the new Turner N52 intake yet?

I had a euro airbox on order from schmiedmann, but they finally emailed me back after a month (!) to say they didn’t have the part.

Was originally planning to keep the car “all OEM”, but Turner seems make quality stuff, so wondering what the consensus is?

I have a 3SI and silicone boot waiting to go in, but as of now the engine is bone stock.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 05:24 PM   #2
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Interesting,

I assume this is the one you're talking about

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...ntake/?pdk=AQM

I've never looked into it, and not heard of many people using it. I opted to skip doing an intake given the cost of the BMW performance setup, and even the AFE sealed Pro-Dry-S. Apparently gains are minimal, unless you just want the sound.

Anyone ever use the Turner branded one? I can't see it making more power than the AFE setups...
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 08:10 AM   #3
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
It looks to be the same design as an Injen intake, and those are rated well. IDK about performance, that's always a question.

What I'm actually interested in is their new IAT relocation kit...
      03-07-2019, 01:46 PM   #4
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Eh just a pod filter clamped to a plastic tube. Could do the same thing with the Euro airbox for cheaper - just remove the cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
It looks to be the same design as an Injen intake, and those are rated well. IDK about performance, that's always a question.

What I'm actually interested in is their new IAT relocation kit...

pssssssst get the Euro IAT/MAF delete kit.. p/n 13627547822

Lol the Latvian guys I bought mine from sold me mine for like $40, then I dropped the link on E90Post and suddenly the sensor is double the price

Last edited by desertman123; 03-07-2019 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2019, 05:40 PM   #5
Kerbouchard
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i ZTR

Interesting! Is the MAF delete plug and play or does it have to be coded? Does it require euro air box?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 11:51 AM   #6
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
Interesting! Is the MAF delete plug and play or does it have to be coded? Does it require euro air box?
Need a dedicated tune for it, BimmerLabs offers one.

Sits right where the MAF does on any airbox and uses the same plug

Just looking at the sensors you can see the airflow benefits
Attached Images

Last edited by desertman123; 03-08-2019 at 12:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 05:36 PM   #7
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
I've been wanting a Euro air box forever, but I never went for it because I'm wasn't sure my BMW Performance intake will fit, and thought I would have to order the Euro version of the BMW Performance intake, which is 1) expensive, and 2) now NLA. Well, I just looked at pictures of the two kits more closely and, I'll be damned, it looks like the Euro box will work after all. The US version of the kit just includes a new front half for the air box so that the cover will fit, but every other part looks exactly the same (well, the filters are different, obviously).* Man, kicking myself for not doing this sooner!

Speaking of the Euro IAT mod, does only bimmerlabs offer a tune? Not Stage FP?

*I really wish I could find the official installation instructions for the Euro version of the intake, so I could closely compare it to the US version, but so far no such luck. Anyone have the file?
      04-07-2020, 06:06 PM   #8
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
I've been wanting a Euro air box forever, but I never went for it because I'm wasn't sure my BMW Performance intake will fit, and thought I would have to order the Euro version of the BMW Performance intake, which is 1) expensive, and 2) now NLA. Well, I just looked at pictures of the two kits more closely and, I'll be damned, it looks like the Euro box will work after all. The US version of the kit just includes a new front half for the air box so that the cover will fit, but every other part looks exactly the same (well, the filters are different, obviously).* Man, kicking myself for not doing this sooner!

*I really wish I could find the official installation instructions for the Euro version of the intake, so I could closely compare it to the US version, but so far no such luck. Anyone have the file?
Doesn't fit. The screw patterns for the covers are different. The "suction hood" is the same.

Oh, and the PI shows as NLA at ECS for those that are still looking, and the P/N for the Euro version doesn't even show up for a 2013 125i on RealOEM any more. Just the filter.

Where you been keeping yourself these days? Been a while since I've seen your name pop up.

USDM PI:

Euro PI:
      04-07-2020, 06:44 PM   #9
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat View Post
Quote:

Doesn't fit. The screw patterns for the covers are different. The "suction hood" is the same.

Oh, and the PI shows as NLA at ECS for those that are still looking, and the P/N for the Euro version doesn't even show up for a 2013 125i on RealOEM any more. Just the filter.

Where you been keeping yourself these days? Been a while since I've seen your name pop up.

USDM PI:

Euro PI:
Good eye. I actually did find the instructions for the Euro version (was on 1Addicts, of course, lol) and everything does look the same except for the holes in the lid. But I wonder if the difference is not between the US and Euro versions, but the E8x and E9x versions? The US and Euro versions both list two part numbers, specific to the platform, but the instructions don't specify what the differences are. I guess it would be easy enough to pull up some 3er pics and compare, but my kids commandeered my computer and I'm on my phone, so I'll do it later.

I guess I could always drill holes into the US lid to make it fit the Euro box...would probably have to Dremel a few spots in the underside, kind of tacky. Or just leave the lid off, a little less tacky. The Turner kit is starting to look like an option...(and actually cheaper than the Euro box, at the moment).

RE: my long absence, I just got to a point with the car where I felt mostly done, didn't really do any modding or have anything planned. And then I really started getting into some other stuff (bought a boat, started playing drums, and taking classes online) that hogged all my bandwidth. But I realized that next week is 10 years from when I took delivery of the 1er, and that sort of brought me back here. Still in no hurry to replace this car.
      04-07-2020, 07:35 PM   #10
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
But I wonder if the difference is not between the US and Euro versions, but the E8x and E9x versions?
No, it's the two-piece box versus the one piece box. I've owned both, Euro and domestic, and had them side by side.

Quote:
I guess I could always drill holes into the US lid to make it fit the Euro box...
The "seal" is completely different, but anything is possible. What are you looking for in a new intake? I got some nice, additional growl by adding the 130i sound generator. Nothing crazy, but I love it. It's more pronounced if I take off the under-hood sound insulation. Not cheap, but way less than a new intake.

Quote:
RE: my long absence, I just got to a point with the car where I felt mostly done, didn't really do any modding or have anything planned. And then I really started getting into some other stuff (bought a boat, started playing drums, and taking classes online) that hogged all my bandwidth. But I realized that next week is 10 years from when I took delivery of the 1er, and that sort of brought me back here. Still in no hurry to replace this car.
Damn! You've been busy! To the ire of my SO, I'm still pretty focused on the 1er. Less so than before though, as I'm running out of mods that don't involve cutting. I'm working on Suspension V3, but I'm taking my time. That, and a few other little things here and there. I was hoping to start doing some driving events this year, but...
      04-08-2020, 11:35 AM   #11
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The "seal" is completely different, but anything is possible. What are you looking for in a new intake? I got some nice, additional growl by adding the 130i sound generator. Nothing crazy, but I love it. It's more pronounced if I take off the under-hood sound insulation. Not cheap, but way less than a new intake.
Thanks for the info.

Honestly, there isn't a great reason to get a new intake. I've just always been bothered by the stock airbox design - both the carbon filter, but especially the poor accessibility of the filter. I could always just do a carbon filter delete, but the Euro airbox more elegantly solves that problem, and has the advantage of a readily-accessible filter. But I never did it because I have the US BMW Performance intake, and the stupid cost of converting to the Euro version was prohibitive, when there were always better places to spend the money. And now of course, it's not even possible to find a BMW Performance intake, anyway.

But the Turner intake does kind of intrigue me. It should work with the carbon fiber Performance intake runners I already have, and cleans up the airbox area nicely. I could also just run a Euro airbox without the lid, but the Turner one looks like it is designed to seal against the hood better. Plus it comes with a silicone intake sleeve, and is cheaper than the Euro box. I don't know, just might do it, just because. Not so sure about the ble filter, but easy enough to swapp for orange, if I wanted.

What is this 130i sound generator?
      04-08-2020, 10:58 PM   #12
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
I forgot about your exhaust mods. All I have is the PE, so this gives a little more bark.

Anyway: https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...5&postcount=88
      04-09-2020, 12:14 AM   #13
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I forgot about your exhaust mods. All I have is the PE, so this gives a little more bark.

Anyway: https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25801155&postcount=88
If you have a sec sometime can you snap a pic of that thing installed? I'm trying to visualize how it fits into the intake tract...
      04-09-2020, 07:31 AM   #14
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

You need the matching intake duct as it has a bung for the noise maker to clamp onto. If you look up a 1M noise maker, it is almost identical.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 01:30 PM   #15
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by juld0zer View Post
You need the matching intake duct as it has a bung for the noise maker to clamp onto. If you look up a 1M noise maker, it is almost identical.
In the case of the 130i sound generator the duct and generator are all one piece. Edit: FWIW the bung does exist on the original intake duct.
      05-06-2020, 06:08 PM   #16
Silnismo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

On my E90, went from euro box with AFE dry filter to turner and I am happy with the performance definitely pulls harder
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
tsk941522.00
      05-07-2020, 12:25 PM   #17
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The cool thing is, the Turner intake already has a spot for the IAT relocation kit (see removable rubber grommet, yellow circle).

My issue is that I have the BMW Performance air intake, and the carbon fiber snorkel does not look as long as the stock piece, so I'm afraid there would be a gap here (red circle). I'm not sure it would really matter, but I'm not sure. If I could figure out a way to extend the snorkel that was effective (and didn't look like crap), I'd be all over this. I'd love to lose the stock air box.
Attached Images

05-09-2020, 08:38 PM   #18
1st Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Coupe

To OP:

I bought and installed the TMS Intake and the silicone intake boot back in January on my 09 128i with no other mods. While I can't say it pulls any harder, I will say the intake roar when the engine hits approximately 3500 RPM is very aggressive. I really like it but you may be surprised at how loud it actually is.

I say this based on the BMW Performance Intake I had in my previous N51 128i which was much quieter.
Appreciate 1
chris82827.00
      05-09-2020, 09:56 PM   #19
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i Sport 6mt

Poor mans airbox. Works great. Sounds great. Removed Carbon filter and running K&N.

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...2&postcount=40

2011 128i 6 MT Sport, 2009 Cayman 987.2, 2011 528i N52, 2018 F150 Platinum
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 12:03 AM   #20
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Anyone have any thoughts on the possible snorkel gap I mentioned above? Or rather, any ideas on solving the issue?
      05-10-2020, 12:35 AM   #21
jonwilli
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E81 130i

Quote:
Anyone have any thoughts on the possible snorkel gap I mentioned above? Or rather, any ideas on solving the issue?
Is it a Euro BMWP intake? I used to have one fitted, from memory it used the stock airbox but with a new lid and snorkel. Surely that means that the snorkel must be same length as the stock item? I would have thought the bigger issue is that the snorkel is wider than the Turner box so doesn't seal perfectly?

I now run a Euro airbox with Mishimoto silicone intake tube, BMWP air filter and have cut the front of the air box (similar to Ric) next to my Xenon's with a cold feed from the left scoop of the BMWP bumper. Induction sound is a fair bit louder on WOT and maybe placebo but car seems to rev more freely.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 01:23 PM   #22
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwilli View Post
Is it a Euro BMWP intake? I used to have one fitted, from memory it used the stock airbox but with a new lid and snorkel. Surely that means that the snorkel must be same length as the stock item? I would have thought the bigger issue is that the snorkel is wider than the Turner box so doesn't seal perfectly?

I now run a Euro airbox with Mishimoto silicone intake tube, BMWP air filter and have cut the front of the air box (similar to Ric) next to my Xenon's with a cold feed from the left scoop of the BMWP bumper. Induction sound is a fair bit louder on WOT and maybe placebo but car seems to rev more freely.
No, it's a US-spec intake. My original plan was to switch to the Euro-spec intake and airbox, but it was always more money than I wanted to spend, and at this point the intakes are NLA.

If you look at the pictures on the two intakes earlier in this thread, you'll see that the carbon fiber piece does not have the elongated "accordion" section of the stock snorkel, which makes it look shorter to me. I almost wonder if that section can be cut off of the stock snorkel and fitted over the carbon fiber snorkel, which gets pretty narrow there.