09-13-2010, 05:03 AM   #133
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuff View Post
Those of you who can't drive manual and thus won't buy a 1M are, well, women, and I'm glad you won't be polluting the car with your girly driving habits. Men drive stick, that's how it has always been and that's how it always should be. If you complain about not having DCT or that stick isn't as good as DCT, then you don't know what it feels like to drive a true sports car. Do you know how many E36 M3's and E30 M3's came in stick? Very very few, because they were intended to be pure driving cars. Almost 99% of the people looking to buy E36's and E30's will not buy them if they are automatic. Having one of those cars in automatic almost reduces the value of the car by 40%. I wonder why?? Same goes for Ferrari back in the day. The amount of whining on this forum is unreal sometimes. Boohoo no DCT, boohoo, only a few colors, wahhhh no convertible now I can't have my hair tossled by the wind as I drive to my boyfriends house to drink mimosa's and get pounded from the back. Good, people like you won't buy the car and that's exactly what M probably wanted.

Typical neanderthal US attitude that thinks you’re some sort of driving god if you can drive a ‘stick’ or not an enthusiast driver if you want DCT. This isn’t the 1960’s anymore. It’s quite clear the ///M posers in North America are the ones that want a manual, rather then the people that want M-DCT because they want to track the car like I certainly wanted to do with it and why I wanted DCT. The E46 M3 CSL was SMG only for a reason, it was for serious enthusiasts.
Outside of North America virtually all top flight motorsport went over to some form of clutchless two pedal arrangement years ago….. for a reason…..it’s faster. I don’t hear many professional racing drivers clambering to use a slower 3 pedal and 20th century manual tranny because they don’t want to be called a girl.
BMW only offered a 3 pedal manual on the E60 M5 for the USA because of this fake obsession with ‘stick’ shifts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuff View Post
Again, this is why companies like Ferrari only allow certain people to buy their cars. They don't want girl whiny complainers to own their cars. They want men who truely understand the pleasure of driving a raw sports car to buy their cars.
Really…… you do know that Ferrari and Lamborghini have already announced some time ago that they won’t be offering a traditional 3 pedal manual gearbox option on all future new models.

Last edited by GeeRam; 09-13-2010 at 07:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 05:44 AM   #134
roho3323
The Professor
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6, BMW M240i, BMW 750i

I think some of you guys are a little upset for nothing. If you look at the percentage of 1m to 1 series sales, 2700 seems about right. Keep in mind this car will go for around $52-55k... BMW can't be very confident that there are more than 2700 people willing to pay that much for a 1 series.

If they sell out, you can bet they will produce more for the 2012 model year. No one said that this run is a lifetime production number... it's just for 2011.

Look at the lack of success the Z4m's had...in three model years 2006-2008, only sold 1,815 coupes in the US and 3,042 roadsters.

If you really want a 1M, go ahead and buy one

2010 BMW M6
2007 BMW 335i,2012 Audi S4-retired
2016 BMW 750i M-Sport
2015 BMW M235i-retired, 2022 M240i
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 07:07 AM   #135
M3roar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3 e92  [9.34]
1998 BMW M3  [8.50]
Jet Black.... seriously!? I mean why has BMW gotten rid of the host of amazing Metallic Blacks. E36 M3 Cosmos Black was insanely gorgeous. E46 Carbon Black was just as amazing as the Cosmos only with a hint of blue. The Early E9x has Black Sapphire Metallic was pretty amazing aswell. But BMW is giving the shaft to all these great Colors for a Jet Black, which doesnt really thrill me. Cause Id love to buy a Black M car but the Jet has never been a first choice.

Limited numbers is ok for me. I dont really care to see many of them around while Im in one. But I guess we'll all have to calm down a second and wait for this thing to show its real face and real options before any of us go on believing these so called " sources ".

Last edited by M3roar; 09-13-2010 at 07:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 07:15 AM   #136
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
OneSweetRide=poser

I worked for BMW, too. I was at my dealers one day and my sales guy asked me if I could walk around the corner to their other facility and pick up a M5 for him and drive it back. He tossed me the keys and I was off!
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 07:29 AM   #137
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

You can have any color you want, so long as that color is black....or white...or ummm...orange...

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 07:50 AM   #138
hlmiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M '10 M5 '05 M3 '12 CRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 View Post
I understand your reasoning and agree... sorry for being so reactive, I guess I'm mad because I really want BMW to correctly establish this first iteration of 1M's. ...That's my fear. By creating ...
Finally a realistic (IMO) post by someone who doesn't agree with every little detail of the 1M.

We wanted simplicity - and we now say it's not acceptable because it doesn't have DCT.
We wanted light weight - and now we say it's not acceptable because it doesn't have XX or YY features/options/devices.
We wanted it to not hit up against the M3 and we now say it won't have enough power.
We wanted it to not be costly - and now we say it's not acceptable because it doesn't have a carbon fiber roof.
We wanted an enthusiast product instead of one for the masses - and now we say it needs to be more available.
We wanted an E82 model now - and now we say it's not acceptable because it's only around for one year.
We thank and request more from Scott26 - and now we're annoyed because an ongoing look into the development process turns out to portray concepts that didn't see production.
We want early info and sneak peeks - and now we're annoyed because BMW gives them to us in an enticing manner.

No product satisfies ANYone 100%. The E30 was arguably a failure in terms of what a "consumer" would want.

FWIW - my reaction to the complaints is that if someone - including me - is serious about a performance package for the 1Series right now, then we probably have it. Refusing to spend our $$$ on it is one thing, but dismissing it as lacking "performance" status given real-world constraints indicates something other than that goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BForbes View Post
The biggest thing to ruin this car for me would be how it drives.
And the rest of the post ...

Last edited by hlmiii; 09-13-2010 at 10:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 08:37 AM   #139
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4 M Coupe

this car should be the first great "new wave" bmw. Turbocharged, ///M tuned, smaller than its 4-seat competitors, and fun to drive. The low production numbers are disappointing. I guess they really didnt want it taking away m3 sales
      09-13-2010, 08:42 AM   #140
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlmiii View Post
The E30 was arguably a failure in terms of what a "consumer" would want.
Failure is the wrong word as the E30 M3 wasn’t ever built with the consumer in mind, it existed purely to allow the factory to go racing.
FiA Group A Touring Car regulations at the time dictated a minimum of 5000 examples to be sold for homolgation purposes, and thus it was conceived by the racing department for racing purpses and then ‘productionised’ for road use to be able to be sold. The E30 M3 was thus the last ever ///M car to be thus conceived, all ///M cars since have been conceived as pure road cars, with only two versions (E46 CSL and E92 GTS) reverse modified the other way for hardcore track use, rather than as out and out homolgation specials.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 09:07 AM   #141
penny
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i (sold)

Quote:
Finally a realistic (IMO) post by someone who doesn't agree with every little detail of the 1M.

We wanted simplicity - and we now say it's not acceptable because it doesn't have DCT.
We wanted light weight - and now we say it's not acceptable because it doesn't have XX or YY features/options/devices.
We wanted it to not hit up against the M3 i- and we now say it won't have enough power.
We wanted it to not be costly - and now we say it's not acceptable because it doesn't have a carbon fiber roof.
We wanted an enthusiast product instead of one for the masses - and now we say it needs to be more available.
We wanted and E82 model now - and now we say it's not acceptable because it's only around for one year.
We thank and request more from Scott26 - and now we're annoyed because an ongoing look into the development process turns out to portray concepts that didn't see production.
We want early info and sneak peeks - and now we're annoyed because BMW gives them to us in an enticing manner.

No product satisfies ANYone 100%. The E30 was arguably a failure in terms of what a "consumer" would want.

Damn... right on.
      09-13-2010, 09:22 AM   #142
MinusS50
Enlisted Member
France
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe

Quote:
+ 10K euros from what i read don't seem a costless car which to get bit from a M3 which are already on production (so price is low).

Furthermore i don't fit the lightweight box aswell so ...
      09-13-2010, 09:24 AM   #143
BMW-NC
Selling drugs to BMW addicts
Germany
Rep
Drives: 135i e82 6MT N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny View Post
Damn... right on.
+1
      09-13-2010, 09:53 AM   #144
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderz17 View Post
The 335is doesn't have an overboost button. The overboost is controlled through the software and is automatically used in the appropriate situation (e.g., WOT @ low RPM). I'm not an automatic skeptic like some just because of your low post count, but when you claim to have inside info but screw up known facts, then I question the reliability of your info.
Maybe hes such a big wig and so high up on the ladder in the BMW company he has a custom builit 335is with a special James Bond extra boost button!

And its not the fact that he has a low post count. The issue I took was he throws out a couple of tidbits thats been talked about ad nausem and is common knowledge(except phantom boost button) and then says thats all the going to give us for know. Like hes dangling a piece of food in front of a hungry dog teasing it. Thats little kid behavior.
And you uncovered him for what he is, a poser.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 09:54 AM   #145
jayparry
BMW Performanceer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM '09 135i 'tii' Dinan

Garage List
you guys need to understand marketing speak better. "most attainable M" just means it's priced under the M3. it could be $49,990.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 09:59 AM   #146
cpippolo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Just paid a deposit and my CA assured me that he's never sold a car for more than MSRP and never will. He indicated I'm first on the list for that dealership. For those of you that are really interested, seems like you can have your chance to buy despite the low production numbers. Thde deposit is refundable, so a low-risk proposition to put $500 down now. I'm still not certain..want to wait to read more about the car and how it drives...but want to be in a position to get one if I decide to go that way.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 10:23 AM   #147
jayparry
BMW Performanceer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM '09 135i 'tii' Dinan

Garage List
Another similarity - in 2006 the z4 3.0si coupe was $40,100 and the z4 m was $50,400

apply the same logic - 135i is $36,050, the 1M will be $45,310.

also similarly they only sold 1815 m-coupes over 3 years
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 10:38 AM   #148
hlmiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M '10 M5 '05 M3 '12 CRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
Failure is the wrong word as the E30 M3 wasn’t ever built with the consumer in mind, it existed purely to allow the factory to go racing.
Definitely. Exactly my point.

As with the E30 this 1M isn't targeted as a "consumer" product - which means everyone loses some of his/her personal wants.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 01:22 PM   #149
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3X3Z3 View Post
This whole 1M thing is going bad, and it is going bad right now.

No CF Roof
No DCT
No Cabrio

I am concerned that the predicted weight loss and the power increase will be minimal .
In effect we will land up with a limited production, overpriced, wide bodied 135is with
M3 suspension.

So much for the glory of the 1M !
I could have picked out 1 of a dozen posts, but this one just stuck out the most to me: No cabrio and your upset? Do you have any clue as to what the weight of a cabrio will do to performance? So you want them to produce a more focused ///M version of a car and then add a ton of weight

I have to agree with a few of the replies here in that I can't believe the negative comments considering they made this exactly what most people wanted: focused, performance, and not too much glitz. I think they have done a wonderful job, and the reaction to the car is why I'm sure most people who work at ///M and BMW for that matter, must think the baord members and any who share their views as a bunch of winy bitches who are better off ignored.

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 01:58 PM   #150
DoPedUpM3
El Carpe Diem
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Turbo/ 335i Coupe

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan4evr View Post
Good to know. a good collection car.
HAHAHA! This guy and his collection cars!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 02:31 PM   #151
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

not every enthusiast is concerned with lap times. A vert just brings you more in touch with the environment. Top down motoring just hightens everything...sound and wind included.

It's just a taste...much like a stick over a dct. And to many people, including myself, the no vert news is a deal breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
I could have picked out 1 of a dozen posts, but this one just stuck out the most to me: No cabrio and your upset? Do you have any clue as to what the weight of a cabrio will do to performance? So you want them to produce a more focused ///M version of a car and then add a ton of weight

Cheers,
e46e92

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 02:57 PM   #152
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
Do you have any clue as to what the weight of a cabrio will do to performance? So you want them to produce a more focused ///M version of a car and then add a ton of weight
I'm glad I'm not the only one on here that's thinks that way then
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 03:07 PM   #153
Atropos
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i coupe

Quote:
Vehicle availability and sportiness / focus have absolutely nothing to do with one another.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 04:45 PM   #154
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post

Outside of North America virtually all top flight motorsport went over to some form of clutchless two pedal arrangement years ago….. for a reason…..it’s faster. I don’t hear many professional racing drivers clambering to use a slower 3 pedal and 20th century manual tranny because they don’t want to be called a girl.

Yea, the new style DCT "automatic" trannys are nothing like the slushboxes of the 60's. THey have computer controlled actuators that engage the same type of gears that are engaged manually in standard manual gearboxes. I would own one if the software is close to how I would drive it manually.