BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-10-2021, 06:17 AM   #1
ahtim
Akrapovic HK
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: mostly NA, sometimes turbo

BBS RIA wheels off set

BBS ria wheels 18 inch, I could get rear at 10.5j et25, and front either 9.5j with et 23 or et 27, which should I get for the front? The stock CSL style wheels are rear et25, and front et31
And what Tyre size set up should I go for?
Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 11:50 AM   #2
EvoKnvl
Private
Rep
Drives: Valencia Orange 1 Series M

Volk Spec for the e Series M3 and 1M are 9.5 et22 and 10.5 et22. I am running Volk ZE50 in those specs. Depending on the ride height, you can scrape the tab that joins the fender and the bumper when hitting large bumps.
For et27, I couldn't tell you if it does the same thing as well. It's possible it will clear it that same tab, but I can't tell you for sure since I run a lower et.
Appreciate 1
ayao643.00
      10-10-2021, 03:15 PM   #3
PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW3 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahtim View Post
BBS ria wheels 18 inch, I could get rear at 10.5j et25, and front either 9.5j with et 23 or et 27, which should I get for the front? The stock CSL style wheels are rear et25, and front et31
Thanks in advance
If you want to stay closer to original geometry, I would recommend the 028 (18x9.5 et27) front with 265/35 and 046 (18x10.5 et22) rear with 295/30. This is a popular tire size for E9x M3, also.

This will give a small acceleration bump and is similar setup as M3 GTS and 1M Safety Cars running 255/35r19 front and 285/30r19 rear.
Appreciate 1
ayao643.00
      10-10-2021, 07:25 PM   #4
ahtim
Akrapovic HK
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRTSB1M View Post
Quote:
Thanks in advance
If you want to stay closer to original geometry, I would recommend the 028 (18x9.5 et27) front with 265/35 and 046 (18x10.5 et22) rear with 295/30. This is a popular tire size for E9x M3, also.

This will give a small acceleration bump and is similar setup as M3 GTS and 1M Safety Cars running 255/35r19 front and 285/30r19 rear.
The bbs dealer over here have the et27front in stock, however they said and I checked on bbs japan's website that they only have et25 at the rear and not et22, is it ok for me to put a 3mm spacer at the back? Or should I stay with Et25 rear and et27 front,
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 09:52 PM   #5
PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The bbs dealer over here have the et27front in stock, however they said and I checked on bbs japan's website that they only have et25 at the rear and not et22, is it ok for me to put a 3mm spacer at the back? Or should I stay with Et25 rear and et27 front,
Thanks
slicer got me the et22 rear wheels, not sure if he can ship to HK? Otherwise, the et25 is fine. I would prefer to not use spacers on track, but many do.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 10:32 AM   #6
ahtim
Akrapovic HK
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks
slicer got me the et22 rear wheels, not sure if he can ship to HK? Otherwise, the et25 is fine. I would prefer to not use spacers on track, but many do.
Unfortunately bbs dealer make a mistake on stocks, the front only et22 available, I could get rays te37 with et22 and et20 at the rear which is available, or the ria with et22 front and et25 rear
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 10:40 AM   #7
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

In the front the 9.5 et23 is best if you have coilovers as it will give you more inner clearance. The 9.5 et27 version will often contact the coilover spring. However if you have stock suspension and alignment settings then the et27 will be an easier plug and play fit. Even better for 265's is to use the 10 et25 spec but that would be best with a car that has camber plates.

In the rear, 10.5 et22 and et25 both work. The et25 spec will give you a little more room to fit 295/30/18 tires. Et22 will typically accommodate a 295 as well, but not all tires are dimensionally equal. Some run wide and the extra wiggle room with et25 doesn't hurt.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 1
ayao643.00
      10-11-2021, 08:10 PM   #8
ahtim
Akrapovic HK
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
In the front the 9.5 et23 is best if you have coilovers as it will give you more inner clearance. The 9.5 et27 version will often contact the coilover spring. However if you have stock suspension and alignment settings then the et27 will be an easier plug and play fit. Even better for 265's is to use the 10 et25 spec but that would be best with a car that has camber plates.

In the rear, 10.5 et22 and et25 both work. The et25 spec will give you a little more room to fit 295/30/18 tires. Et22 will typically accommodate a 295 as well, but not all tires are dimensionally equal. Some run wide and the extra wiggle room with et25 doesn't hurt.
I am running ohlins dfv and camber plates, with -3.3 at the front and -2.2 at the rear,
From what I understand, it is better to have a slightly wider rear compare to front, is that correct for our 1m
If I choose et 23 front, and et 25 rear, I will have the front wider than the rear.

As I have et22 front fir wheels now, if I install stock wheels Back on I would probability rub the springs?

These set of 18s are for dry track days only, I might run slick with them,
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 10:02 AM   #9
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I am running ohlins dfv and camber plates, with -3.3 at the front and -2.2 at the rear,
From what I understand, it is better to have a slightly wider rear compare to front, is that correct for our 1m
If I choose et 23 front, and et 25 rear, I will have the front wider than the rear.

As I have et22 front fir wheels now, if I install stock wheels Back on I would probability rub the springs?

These set of 18s are for dry track days only, I might run slick with them,

I think you are confusing wider wheels with offset. Additionally, an offset difference of a few millimeters is imperceivable from a handling perspective. Aesthetics, fitment, rubbing (or not) is where a few millimeters matters.

On top of that, a 9.5 et23 wheel versus a 10.5 et25 rear wheel will actually have the rear sitting 10mm closer to the rear fender due to it's added width. The center of the rear wheel is technically 2mm more conservative but again, this is immaterial.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 1
ayao643.00
      10-14-2021, 01:21 AM   #10
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Get the et27 front offset for best fit and closest to stock offset. Et22 sticks out too far and looks weird. It increases steering effort on sweepers too. The suspension is set up stock to work better on et27. They are worth the wait both for aesthetic and functional reasons. I was going to buy those but they were backed up over 6 months and I wanted silver. Hope you get the et27!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 08:04 AM   #11
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Get the et27 front offset for best fit and closest to stock offset. Et22 sticks out too far and looks weird. It increases steering effort on sweepers too. The suspension is set up stock to work better on et27. They are worth the wait both for aesthetic and functional reasons. I was going to buy those but they were backed up over 6 months and I wanted silver. Hope you get the et27!
He has coilovers and camber plates which is completely different from stock suspension. Once you add camber the et27 becomes too conservative. Camber pulls the top of the wheel/tire inward away from the fender. At the camber he is running he could fit 9.5 et12. Additionally it will likely rub the coilover spring and need a spacer.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 1
ayao643.00
      10-14-2021, 08:30 AM   #12
PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
He has coilovers and camber plates which is completely different from stock suspension. Once you add camber the et27 becomes too conservative. Camber pulls the top of the wheel/tire inward away from the fender. At the camber he is running he could fit 9.5 et12. Additionally it will likely rub the coilover spring and need a spacer.
I have purchased the et27 wheels from you, but you're on here advising against them... see the conundrum?

I will be mounting 265/35 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s (which are narrower than other tires) on the et27 wheels w/Ohlins road & track and vorshlag camber plates; so we'll put this one to bed soon (tires arrive in Dec).

According to this basic calculator, the above setup should only be 1-2mm closer to suspension than my current setup (255/35 PS4S on stock wheel).
https://rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 10:08 AM   #13
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I have purchased the et27 wheels from you, but you're on here advising against them... see the conundrum?

I will be mounting 265/35 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s (which are narrower than other tires) on the et27 wheels w/Ohlins road & track and vorshlag camber plates; so we'll put this one to bed soon (tires arrive in Dec).

According to this basic calculator, the above setup should only be 1-2mm closer to suspension than my current setup (255/35 PS4S on stock wheel).
I missed the part about coil overs and extreme camber changes can get you closer to the spring but again with the et27 it's still a better option in my opinion because it is a PFS wheel and even if you wanted to experiment with a spacer and et22 you simply add a pair of bespoke BBS PFS 5mm spacers and you get et22. The PFS spacers are specially made for BBS wheels and are amazing. If you buy et22 you don't have the option to try et27. Slicer loves wheels that bukge outside the fenders but while the 1M and m3 share the same wheels the fenders in 1M are tighter and smaller. I found the my the farther out the wheel the more it rubbed in fender liner with same tire and I had the new revised liners. Finally the issue with offset is where the tire pivots.. if you push bottom of the tire out the tire is no longer pivoting in the middle of the tire as designed. So when you start altering suspension you have to balance fit and clearance with suspension geometry and there are trade offs. I did not like the steering feel when I went to et22 with spacers. It was a bit lighter on center but heavier on steady state sweeper. Don't take it from me just google scrub radius. The bottom line is et 27 will let yiu do et27 and et22 with very cool spacer. With et22 you can only push out more. Please just google offsets and scrub radius. Best wishes.
Appreciate 1
ayao643.00
      10-14-2021, 10:19 AM   #14
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:

You told me the specific spec you wanted; did not seek my advice on fitment. The fact that you knew exactly what you wanted led me to believe that you knew the spec that you wanted and had done your own research.... I had 9.5 et27 in the color you wanted (no et23 in stock), I saw no reason to debate. You didn't even tell me that you had coilovers or camber plates. If I knew, I would have given you the same advice.

That being said, you might not need a spacer if your ride height setting is placing the spring perch above the tire. Please feel free to reach out if you want more specific advice. If you want to switch to 9.5 et23 I do have silver and gold available. We can work something out.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M

Last edited by slicer; 10-14-2021 at 10:28 AM..
Appreciate 1
ayao643.00
      10-14-2021, 10:26 AM   #15
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I missed the part about coil overs and extreme camber changes can get you closer to the spring but again with the et27 it's still a better option in my opinion because it is a PFS wheel and even if you wanted to experiment with a spacer and et22 you simply add a pair of bespoke BBS PFS 5mm spacers and you get et22. The PFS spacers are specially made for BBS wheels and are amazing. If you buy et22 you don't have the option to try et27. Slicer loves wheels that bukge outside the fenders but while the 1M and m3 share the same wheels the fenders in 1M are tighter and smaller. I found the my the farther out the wheel the more it rubbed in fender liner with same tire and I had the new revised liners. Finally the issue with offset is where the tire pivots.. if you push bottom of the tire out the tire is no longer pivoting in the middle of the tire as designed. So when you start altering suspension you have to balance fit and clearance with suspension geometry and there are trade offs. I did not like the steering feel when I went to et22 with spacers. It was a bit lighter on center but heavier on steady state sweeper. Don't take it from me just google scrub radius. The bottom line is et 27 will let yiu do et27 and et22 with very cool spacer. With et22 you can only push out more. Please just google offsets and scrub radius. Best wishes.
I agree that the higher offset does give you more flexibility if you are open to using spacers. The BBS PFS spacers are certainly a great option. Most people prefer to avoid spacers if possible. The 1M does have similar fit to the e9x platform but you are right that the fenders are slightly smaller. That being said, a 9.5 is an easy fit on a 1M with camber. As a point of comparison, I have a customer running 10.5 and 295's in the front on track. It's funny that you accuse me of "wheels that bulge outside the fenders"; most of the social media critics accuse me of the opposite
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M

Last edited by slicer; 10-14-2021 at 11:03 AM..
Appreciate 1
ayao643.00
      10-14-2021, 11:45 AM   #16
PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You told me the specific spec you wanted; did not seek my advice on fitment. The fact that you knew exactly what you wanted led me to believe that you knew the spec that you wanted and had done your own research.... I had 9.5 et27 in the color you wanted (no et23 in stock), I saw no reason to debate. You didn't even tell me that you had coilovers or camber plates. If I knew, I would have given you the same advice.

That being said, you might not need a spacer if your ride height setting is placing the spring perch above the tire. Please feel free to reach out if you want more specific advice. If you want to switch to 9.5 et23 I do have silver and gold available. We can work something out.
For the record, slicer has been spot on with all advice he’s given me and I did ask for this exact setup and customer service was unmatched. I have tried to be thorough with my own research to make sure these will fit beforehand. I do think I am attempting to fit the most tire possible on the front of the 1M while staying close as possible to original geometry. Sorry for stirring the pot.
Appreciate 1
slicer2739.00
      10-14-2021, 12:00 PM   #17
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
I missed the part about coil overs and extreme camber changes can get you closer to the spring
Camber and caster changes shouldn't effect spring clearance since you adjust camber by moving the whole strut assembly at the top. Unless you change the hub assembly, the relation of the wheel to the spring won't change. The stock springs (and the springs that came with my Ohlins) are huge. Lost aftermarket springs will be smaller and allow more inboard wheel clearance.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 1
nachob2314.00
      10-14-2021, 12:01 PM   #18
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I agree that the higher offset does give you more flexibility if you are open to using spacers. The BBS PFS spacers are certainly a great option. Most people prefer to avoid spacers if possible. The 1M does have similar fit to the e9x platform but you are right that the fenders are slightly smaller. That being said, a 9.5 is an easy fit on a 1M with camber. As a point of comparison, I have a customer running 10.5 and 295's in the front on track. It's funny that you accuse me of "wheels that bulge outside the fenders"; most of the social media critics accuse me of the opposite
Not "accusing". Liking how a wheel looks is not a crime. Just in our discussions you like the aggressive offsets as a preference. I prefer more
Tucked in closer to stock so nothing to accuse of. ???? If I'm wrong that you prefer agressive fitmemts then I apologize for the misunderstanding. When I reached out to you about buying RGRs and LMs you were pointing me to the 10" wide fronts which I really did not like the fit. So again if I'm wrong about your preference then sorry but that's not an accusation. That would be something like saying you steal or cheat not what your preference is. Finally you are correct about the awesome BBS spacers. I don't like spacers in general but BBS spacers are specially machined for BBS wheels and are TUV approved and give you more flexibility to experiment than the 22 offset. I hope that clears it and no accusing goin on. Cheers and thanks for your contributions to the forum.
Appreciate 1
slicer2739.00
      10-14-2021, 02:14 PM   #19
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
Quote:
I missed the part about coil overs and extreme camber changes can get you closer to the spring
Camber and caster changes shouldn't effect spring clearance since you adjust camber by moving the whole strut assembly at the top. Unless you change the hub assembly, the relation of the wheel to the spring won't change. The stock springs (and the springs that came with my Ohlins) are huge. Lost aftermarket springs will be smaller and allow more inboard wheel clearance.
I don't think anyone was claiming that the camber that impacts inner clearance. It's the coilover. Stock spring and perch is ABOVE the tire which results in more inner clearance than any coilover. Linear coilover spring with helper often introduces inner clearance issues because the spring and perch end up in the path of the tire.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 1
ayao643.00
      10-14-2021, 11:57 PM   #20
S54ca
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

Came across this thread, thought this may be helpful: My car is currently on the 18x9.5 +27's, 265/35 Cup 2's & Ohlins R&T's at -2.25deg camber and I have no inner clearance issues. It does rub on the non-updated fender liners near lock though.

The +27's look just about right in the front to me. More rim / less offset could be used at the rear, but sounds like you're going staggered anyway.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
nachob2314.00
PRTSB1M301.50
ayao643.00
      10-15-2021, 12:11 PM   #21
PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S54ca View Post
Came across this thread, thought this may be helpful: My car is currently on the 18x9.5 +27's, 265/35 Cup 2's & Ohlins R&T's at -2.25deg camber and I have no inner clearance issues. It does rub on the non-updated fender liners near lock though.

The +27's look just about right in the front to me. More rim / less offset could be used at the rear, but sounds like you're going staggered anyway.
Thanks for confirming fitment of this setup and great picture higher res wouldn't hurt. Yes, I'm hopeful the 295/30 on 10.5 et22 will fit in the rear without issue. How do you like your current camber settings on track?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 12:52 PM   #22
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by S54ca View Post

One of the best pictures I've seen.
Appreciate 0