BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-27-2009, 06:51 AM   #1
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Cracked windscreen

Hey guys, my first new thread is unfortunately a very sad one!

I finally got all my car wash goodies today from Chemical Guys. Decided to give the car a proper wash - the Citrus wash was amazing, came through really nice on the Karcher.

After cleaning everything and then drying, I wanted to clean up all the door jams and I popped open the bonnet without realising the wipers were up and this pressed the wipers to the windscreen which promptly cracked!

Just wanted this to be cautionary tale and also see if there is anything I need to look out for when getting these guys to replace it.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 08:00 AM   #2
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01 View Post
Hey guys, my first new thread is unfortunately a very sad one!

I finally got all my car wash goodies today from Chemical Guys. Decided to give the car a proper wash - the Citrus wash was amazing, came through really nice on the Karcher.

After cleaning everything and then drying, I wanted to clean up all the door jams and I popped open the bonnet without realising the wipers were up and this pressed the wipers to the windscreen which promptly cracked!

Just wanted this to be cautionary tale and also see if there is anything I need to look out for when getting these guys to replace it.

Thanks.
Ouch sorry to hear that mate

Good tip though - never thought of that and it's obviously an easy one to do. I'll keep that in mind in future.

Have you got glass coverage? Those windscreens can be very expensive to replace!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 08:04 AM   #3
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 123d M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
Not the first one to do this, certainly won't be the last. An unfortunate flaw in the design I'm afraid.
2009 123D Coupe | Sedona Red | Black Boston Leather | Brushed Aluminium Trim | Tinted Windows | M-Sport Package | 6M | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Park Distance Front & Rear | USB | Bluetooth | Voice Control | Efficient Dynamics | Rain & Light Sensors | Xenon Lights
My blog: http://urbanemusings.wordpress.com/
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 08:15 AM   #4
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i MT, LMB, ProNav

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Sorry to hear that. Heartbreaking.

There were a number of cases of this happening early on in this forum in the States and Europe before we got our cars. Easy to do.

Fun Car: 135i Manual LeMans Blue / Beige Leather / Grey Poplar / pro nav / euro plates. Delivered 24 June 08
Family Car: Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6
Spare Car:
Volvo V70 Sydney Car: MB 420SEL
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 08:24 AM   #5
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Thanks for the sentiments guys.

It was terribly easy to do and heartbreaking to behold. Taymaishu, have to check my policy to see if I've got glass coverage, should be fine hopefully!

Horrible design flaw though, never had a problem like that with any other cars, usually they just pop down. So did BMW replace any on the early days or was it caveat emptor?

Anyway, lesson learnt!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 08:30 AM   #6
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 123d M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
Don't remember ever reading that anyone got it replaced under warranty. Think you'll have to cover this one yourself unfortunately. Insurance should come to the party I think. Most policies have glass cover.
2009 123D Coupe | Sedona Red | Black Boston Leather | Brushed Aluminium Trim | Tinted Windows | M-Sport Package | 6M | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Park Distance Front & Rear | USB | Bluetooth | Voice Control | Efficient Dynamics | Rain & Light Sensors | Xenon Lights
My blog: http://urbanemusings.wordpress.com/
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 08:39 AM   #7
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123D-M View Post
Don't remember ever reading that anyone got it replaced under warranty. Think you'll have to cover this one yourself unfortunately. Insurance should come to the party I think. Most policies have glass cover.
I know, I was just wondering if BMW did replace them at first as this is clearly a design flaw, but maybe BMW didn't expect
owners to be such idiots!

Will defintely get insurance in on the party, quite sure I got glass cover, just need to ring up and check. Worse comes to worse, will just have to bite the bullet and pay for it!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 03:22 PM   #8
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01 View Post
I know, I was just wondering if BMW did replace them at first as this is clearly a design flaw, but maybe BMW didn't expect
owners to be such idiots!

Will defintely get insurance in on the party, quite sure I got glass cover, just need to ring up and check. Worse comes to worse, will just have to bite the bullet and pay for it!
I'd argue this one. There's no warning and it's NOT an obvious mistake to make.

How can you expect that when you're washing the car you can't do that? There should be a warning to prevent that damage...
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 03:24 PM   #9
jksgoh
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2008 E82 125i  [0.00]
damn, sorry to hear that.
but thanks for the tip i didn't know you could crack it that easy!

is it a big crack?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 03:34 PM   #10
TP 135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i SGM MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taymaishu View Post
I'd argue this one. There's no warning and it's NOT an obvious mistake to make.

How can you expect that when you're washing the car you can't do that? There should be a warning to prevent that damage...
OK....first off, I'm very sorry to hear of the OP's cracked windshield.

NOW I don't agree with the subtlety of this "warning" but (at least in the States) in the owner's manual on page 216, BMW warns of damage......"To avoid damage, make sure that the wiper arms are against the windshield before you open the engine compartment". This is in the section explaining how to replace the wiper blades. The problem is that it doesn't go on to explain what kind of damage can occur and the warning should be on page one in big bold RED print.

And, sadly enough, we have been discussing this issue on this forum for about a year.

2008 135i SGM
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 03:36 PM   #11
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP 135i View Post
OK....first off, I'm very sorry to hear of the OP's cracked windshield.

NOW I don't agree with the subtlety of this "warning" but (at least in the States) in the owner's manual on page 216, BMW warns of damage......"To avoid damage, make sure that the wiper arms are against the windshield before you open the engine compartment". This is in the section explaining how to replace the wiper blades. The problem is that it doesn't go on to explain what kind of damage can occur and the warning should be on page one in big bold RED print.

And, sadly enough, we have been discussing this issue on this forum for about a year.
Interesting - i've never seen it in my manual.

Then again, i've never had cause to read the manual for washing my car. But fair enough i see your point.. A bloody sticker on the inside of the windscreen or top of the wipers would work well.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 03:40 PM   #12
TP 135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i SGM MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taymaishu View Post
Interesting - i've never seen it in my manual.

Then again, i've never had cause to read the manual for washing my car. But fair enough i see your point.. A bloody sticker on the inside of the windscreen or top of the wipers would work well.
EXACTLY.......I would have never known of this little warning if it were not for this forum.......search "cracked windshield" and you will see many others that have done the same thing....it's very sad to read.

2008 135i SGM
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 03:51 PM   #13
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Yes - this topic has been discussed before, but fair warning to all new 135i owners.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 04:34 PM   #14
bozola
Unloved BMW Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3 Coupe, 3 318Ti

Garage List
1999 Z3 Coupe  [10.00]
1998 318Ti  [0.00]
1998 318Ti  [10.00]
2008 128i  [9.00]
Should be a STICKY.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 05:01 PM   #15
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Taymaishu, I agree, it's not at all an obvious thing, and it sucks that it happened to me but at least it's a lesson learnt, and perhaps this thread should be sticky and keep over-enthused new owners from getting into the same trouble!

It seems strange that BMW hadn't noticed this during the design process, they are usually seem pretty careful with the attention to detail, which is one of the reasons why don't mind paying the premium for them.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 05:06 PM   #16
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksgoh View Post
damn, sorry to hear that.
but thanks for the tip i didn't know you could crack it that easy!

is it a big crack?
Yes it is really easy to do, there was no warning or give, the pressure from the gas chambers was enough to inflict the crack. It is fairly big, looks exactly like the picture Lester kindly put up, except mine cracked upward. Will take a picture in a little bit and put it up.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 06:58 PM   #17
cozza
///Mthusiast
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i (March delivery)

Damn! What a bugger! Did it bend/damage the wiper blade arms?
      11-27-2009, 07:24 PM   #18
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

The wiper blade arms are fine, there's a scratch on the bonnet edge though.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 09:52 PM   #19
qship
Disillusioned bourgeois capitalist pig!
Australia
Rep
Drives: Blue

Hope your insurance covers it. It is about $1200 -$1600 to replace and of course no one other than BMW has replacement screens.

The voice of someone on their 3rd screen.
      11-27-2009, 10:33 PM   #20
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Ouch...Thats just bad luck.

If you have the glass breakage option in your insurance policy it will be a godsend..Very small excess to pay if any..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 10:48 PM   #21
qship
Disillusioned bourgeois capitalist pig!
Australia
Rep
Drives: Blue

I do now - not then. And of course have not had an issue since......................!
      11-27-2009, 10:53 PM   #22
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by qship View Post
Hope your insurance covers it. It is about $1200 -$1600 to replace and of course no one other than BMW has replacement screens.

The voice of someone on their 3rd screen.
How'd you go through 2 screens???

Really hope insurance covers it too! But I thought
it might cost more than $1600, so at least that's something. I contacted BMW here and they said they'd get quote for me on Monday.

I haven't been able to call the insurance to clarify everything, but if I do have the cover, as I understand it, I don't pay any excess and it doesn't affect my no claim bonus! Just have to wait and see.
Appreciate 0